Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Factory Sticker Fraud

hybridNV

I am shopping for a Fusion Energi and dropped by the Ford dealer closest to home.  I noticed that ALL of their 2014 Fusion Energi SE's have a base price of $38,700.  This is $4000 more than it should be! :headscratch:  Question I have is, is it even legal for the dealership to change the factory sticker?  I am talking about the factory sticker with the EPA rating...not the dealer add on sticker next to it.

Something smells really fishy about this dealership.  They have a crazy $4995 second sticker next to it also.

Thanks.

-Scott

Those MAY be very old 2014 builds.  I forgot exactly when Ford decided to slash the price by 4k, but it was during the 2013 year after they started building 2014's IIRC.

inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=[vin goes here] to see the original factory sticker.  Add a www. to the front.

Edited by Russael

If that's the case then I guess I'm OK with it...I thought all of the 2014's were at the $34,700 base price.  I think the dealer should change the sticker.  It just seems very deceptive to someone unfamiliar with the pricing.   Hopefully I have linked the photo correctly.   Hard to see unless you download it and zoom in since this website compressed the original image. 

The most insane part is the $4995 additional sticker markup with not a single additional dealer installed item no less.  I thought most dealer got away from this since everyone has more information on the internet and buyers have become more savvy.  I guess there are still businesses waiting for a sucker! 

Fishy looking Factory Sticker

The most insane part is the $4995 additional sticker markup with not a single additional dealer installed item no less.  I thought most dealer got away from this since everyone has more information on the internet and buyers have become more savvy.  I guess there are still businesses waiting for a sucker! 

I've seen the second sticker many many times in years past, and in some cases they would have $95 for custom pinstriping or similar items, and in other cases they would list something like 'market price adjustment' which is (in my opinion) just additional dealer markup that they want customers to see and then be happy with the MSRP on the first sticker.

The dealer is not allowed to modify the EPA mandated sticker.  When the car was built that was its MSRP price.  When Ford reduced the price by $4000 that doesn't mean they go back and reissue the stickers or send $4000 checks to owners of already sold cars.  What you pay is between you and the dealer.  The dealer will make a profit on the transaction.  He can't stay in business if he doesn't.

What the heck does ADM even stand for that jacks the price up 5k?  The only thing I've ever seen that did anything with price and brought it up that high is usually a Roush performance package (seen it on F150's, Mustangs, etc).

ADM = Addtional Dealer Markup, aka "we think the market is such that buyers will be willing to pay this padded profit for us"... to me it says go find another dealer.

When I bought mine (day after the $4k decrease), the salesman mentioned that they hadn't printed the new stickers yet, but clearly mentioned that all the prices were really $4k lower than shown on the sticker.  This was without me even having to mention it.  The lower price showed up on all the online window stickers.

As someone who works for a Ford Dealership, I have learned that in different parts of the country, vehicles are priced differently. Sometimes there are significant difference as well... They could be much higher in price or even lower in price believe it or not!!

The "Maroni" sticker that has all the options listed about the vehicle is where MSRP is displayed. The smaller window sticker is a "Premium" sticker where dealers charge more for a vehicle based on add-ons to the vehicle or "Demands" for the vehicle. Toyota did this a lot when Hybrids first hit and their units were the only real players in town. If we fall back into another gas situation where prices boom higher than current, I am sure this will definitely occur again. This is really evident when you look at things like SVT Raptor trucks, or Shelby Mustangs. Some dealers will charge anywhere from 3-5 thousand dollars typically for these vehicles above MSRP and as much as $10 thousand in high demand areas.

Looking at this Moroni and addendum, I actually do not see anything wrong with it at all... I would tell you this however, I paid less than this asking price for my Titanium Energi model so I definitely understand your concern here... Moroni's can sometimes come in with wrong information on them... And Yes, they can be changed!!! I have seen it where I work for sure...!! Not sure if there is a premium charge here where this vehicle is for sale, but if your "market" has a high demand for Hybrids in general, then that might be what ADM is for?? Not sure what else would justify their $5,000 markup... My dealership does not charge any extras for vehicles. The only add-on we charge for is Window Tinting $299-399 depending on the vehicle. We do not have any "Desert Protection" or "Door Edge Protection" unless the buyer wants it added etc...

Needless to say...I didn't purchase from them...and no there is not a local market here that merits adding such a ridiculous markup.  A high volume Ford dealership 10 miles down the freeway had 17 Energi's at $7500 off in the newspaper.  Unfortunately all 17 had the charcoal interior and I was looking for the sand interior.  What I was able to do was to leverage the discount in the paper at another dealership which matched the discount and also came within $100 of Nada clean trade for my previous car.

Full disclosure.  The discount I received was $7000 since I did not qualify for the $500 military/college rebate which was part of the newspapers ad discount.

I am really enjoying my Energi.  It is the first new car that I have purchased in 20 years where I haven't had a problem within the first week so I am very impressed so far.

-Scott

It was 7K off the real 2014 MSRP.  It did not include the $4007 as it was a purchase and not a lease.   The dealer I purchased from was Ford of Bellevue...an Auto Nation dealership.  The dealer that had the heavy discounted newspaper ad was Ford of Kirkland.  They still have a bunch at $7500 off.  Just check their website, fordofkirkland.com.  Looks like they still have 45 Fusion Energi's as of this afternoon while most others have maybe 4-6 on the lot.  They are a serious high volume dealership.

Please note I have no affiliation with any of these dealers.

-Scott

mine had a sticker of 46k when I bought it back in March, the dealer web site had it for 42K and it drove the salesman nuts for a bit when i brought up the discrepancy.

He finally got the answer which was Ford's price reduction. Mine is a '14 that had been in the lot prior to November and no body bothered to changer the sticker, which is probably why other buyers walked right by it and left it for the ones listed for 42K. I too would have left it if they were dead set on the sticker price, but i knew their web site had it listed for the correct and lower price. Dealers can play dumb sometimes, I'm sure they would have taken my 46K had I decide to blindly pay it.