Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Energi and new member

Cairo94507

Hello all- Just bought a'14 Energi Titanium in Sterling Grey but it won't arrive until the week of June 9th.  Driving a rental in the meantime as I sold my other car already.  I live in the East Bay Area of the San Francisco Bay in California.  As for the Fusion, I have already bought the shark fin antenna, side body molding, the Titanium dual outlet bumper cover, exhaust finishers and other small parts to change the rear of the car to the factory dual exhaust look as I think it looks nicer than the one pipe hanging down- just my opinion.  All those parts are painted and ready to install.  I also picked up a set of the 19" Ford wheels & tries for it, the moulded mud flaps and the low profile trunk lip-spoiler as I ordered my car without the standard rear spoiler as I wanted the smaller lip.  Once the car arrives it will get a full front clear-bra to keep it mostly chip-free.  Anyway, here's hoping Ford can get it right this time.  This is the second time I ordered the car as the first order was messed up by the salesman who placed the order and they wasted a month before they figured it out.  I mean how tough is it to order a car?  Looking forward to learning more about these cars.  OH, I really bought the Fusion Energi to get the HOV sticker to allow me HOV lane access during my commute.  

Welcome the the forum!  There is a lot of helpful information in this forum, and I have learned so much from all the friends here!

Sorry to hear about the delay in ordering your car.  Seems you will be busy once it arrives to get it set up just the way you want it with all that fun stuff already in your possession!  It would be great to see before and after pictures!

Hopefully you were able to apply for the HOV stickers or your dealer already had them for their customers since there are none remaining.

Let us know when your Energi arrives!

Thanks for the welcome.  I checked with the dealership and they told me the stickers were "no problem".  If the dealership did not apply for the stickers as soon as they received my VIN, which is what they told me they do, and in fact I will not be getting a sticker, I will likely cancel the car order and poll my deposit.  I will not spend the almost $40K for a car with no sticker.  The only thing that could stay that decision is if DMV tells me there is legislation in progress to issue another batch of stickers in the very near future.  I know Senator Leland Yee had a bill started to extend the program beyond 2019 and provide for more stickers.  But with his fall from Grace, that legislation may have died.

Edited by Cairo94507

I'd call the dealership ASAP and verify they have a sticker - my understanding is that dealerships couldn't pre-order stickers anymore starting mid-March, and they ran out for good last week.  So, unless you ordered and they had a VIN by mid-March, it isn't looking very promising.

I'm in the same boat as you - I wouldn't have justified this car without the HOV stickers.  Yeah, the technology is great, and I really enjoy the car, but I couldn't have justified $10k+ over a similarly equipped Fusion.

I'm probably biased now that I have the HOV stickers, but I'm hoping they don't increase the allotment.  On certain days, the HOV lane is just as busy as the other lanes.  Since the "white" (pure electric, CNG, etc) stickers are unlimited, it's going to continue to fill up with Leafs and Teslas between now and 2019.

"I wouldn't have justified this car without the HOV stickers.  Yeah, the technology is great, and I really enjoy the car, but I couldn't have justified $10k+ over a similarly equipped Fusion."

I built a FFE and a regular Fusion on Ford's website.  I selected the Titanium trim level, moonroof, universal garage door opener, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats, and navigation (basically how I would order the car right now).  The FFE came in at $39,730 and the regular Fusion came in at $33,830, a difference of $5,900.  Then, you get a federal tax credit of $4,007, bringing the difference down to $1,893.  In California, you also get a state rebate of $1,500, which now brings the difference down to $393.  Depending on your driving/commute, $393 can be made up in a couple of months.  This does not take into account the pleasures of electric driving, not having to stop at the gas station, etc.  I don't think you need the HOV sticker to justify this purchase.

Well of course one does not "need" the HOV sticker but the point is All Star Ford in Pittsburg told me they automatically order the HOV stickers as soon as they receive confirmation of the build and the VIN.  I would be totally unaware of this problem had I not been alerted to DMV issuing its last sticker on May 9th by Eric5439 on this forum.  

The dealership has had 5 different people involved in this sale because they all somehow end up no longer employed at All Star Ford.  So Yesterday I speak with the sales manager "Mike" and he tells me they do not order stickers, had I not changed my order (when their salesman told me he ordered the car correctly, made a mistake and did not tell me until I called to verify the order was on track for delivery) I would have a car with stickers.  He then says, "Well you don't have to buy the car!"  No kidding?  I have been waiting since March for the car and now that is his attitude?  Then I ask to speak with the GM and he tells me the guy who is not returning my calls is the GM.

Is this the way American car manufacturers sell cars?  I have not owned an American brand car since 1995 and it was this same attitude back then that drove me to other brands.  I see nothing has changed at all.  

I will probably still buy the Energi and hope that the legislature authorizes DMV to issue another run of stickers in the future as their program is good until 2019 at the moment and may expand beyond that.  Still this just rubs me the wrong way and is not the way people should be doing business.

I built a FFE and a regular Fusion on Ford's website.  I selected the Titanium trim level, moonroof, universal garage door opener, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats, and navigation (basically how I would order the car right now).  The FFE came in at $39,730 and the regular Fusion came in at $33,830, a difference of $5,900.  

Yes, and mine is an SE with very few options (the minimal available on the dealer's lot).  Engine choice on the regular Fusion can greatly influence the final price.  When I priced mine out, it was equivalent to a similarly equipped hybrid after federal and state rebates/incentives.  

I likely would not have justified a new car at all without the HOV sticker.  I wasn't even seriously looking for a new car, but then the price dropped $4k and the HOV stickers didn't look like they'd last until I was in the market.  5 years of HOV access was a HUGE incentive, saving ~30 mins a day means almost an entire month of time saved over the 5 year period.  

That being said, I recognize everyone's situation is different.  For me, it would not have happened without the HOV access.  Obviously this isn't the case for everyone (but it also explains why ~50% of sales have been in CA).  I'm interested to see how the overall sales react now that the stickers are gone.

Cairo - it might be worth seeing if any nearby dealerships have a similarly equipped Energi on the lot with pre-ordered stickers.  You may have to life with (or without) an option or two different, so it all depends on how critical the HOV stickers are to you vs. the exact options ordered.

Hello all- Just bought a'14 Energi Titanium in Sterling Grey but it won't arrive until the week of June 9th.  Driving a rental in the meantime as I sold my other car already.  I live in the East Bay Area of the San Francisco Bay in California. ...This is the second time I ordered the car as the first order was messed up by the salesman who placed the order and they wasted a month before they figured it out.  I mean how tough is it to order a car?  Looking forward to learning more about these cars.  OH, I really bought the Fusion Energi to get the HOV sticker to allow me HOV lane access during my commute.

Congrats on your order, Cairo94507. Sorry things have been so mixed up. I'm happy to document your dealer feedback for review, if you'd like. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN (if you have it), and dealer info, and I'll get that feedback into the computer.

Ashley

Hello All, I just got my Fusion Titanium Energi and am loving the heck out of this car each and every time I drive it. I went from a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel to this. I loved my Excursion and said I would never get rid of it as I was the only owner of it. But I retired from a local law enforcement agency here in Arizona and have had a time finding something new to do in the form of work. I ended up going to work at my local Ford Dealership in Sales as I waited for something more in my background came along. I enjoy cars and talking to people.

As I found myself working around these cars more and more, I really took a shine to theFusion Titanium Energi and all of the options in this vehicle. Wow, truly a nice car... Well, there is a nothing more to say really other than I decided to go from 13-15 mpg's in my Excursion to currently getting over 74 mpg's as I do a lot of EV driving from my home to work where I charge up again for the drive home etc.

Currently I am reading everything I can about my New vehicle so I can get the most out of my new car.