Ford Fusion Energi Forum

GE Wattstation - issue

Checkers

Hello!

I recently had installed a GE Wattstation level II charger. I seems to be having an issue and wondering of others with the GE have seen similar.

Immediately, I noticed upon trying to charge with it that it does not have the same "click" when attaching the charger cord to the car like the OEM 120v charger does. Even though I press the thumb button. I cannot get it to connect properly and sometimes it takes several tries before it begins charging. This is very frustrating. Sometimes it connects and charges and others it does not, but never do I hear the "click" like the OEM charger.

Also, I have noticed that if I wiggle the cord while it is charging it stops charging and I can detach it without using the thumb button. Is this safe?

So, I called GE and explained the issue. They said that they have never heard of such and issue, because it does charge, only take a few tries. I am thinking it should be first try only with a "click" when it is attached correctly.

I did get GE to send me a new cord and handle, but does the same thing. It does not attch correctly and there is not a "click" when attaching,

When It works the first time it is awesome, when it finally connects no issue, but this alsomt never happens on the first try.

What do you think I should do next since the first now the second cord and handle seem to the the same? Design flaw? Is it an issue with my charging port (OEM works perfect with a "click" every time it attached)? I am baffled.

Has anyone else with the GE Wattstation had a similar issues, does your connect perfect first time each uptime used?

Help.

Mike

Edited by Checkers

Do you maybe have something in your charging socket that is preventing the plug from being fully inserted?  Could try using an air compressor to blow out any debris...

Was it always like this or did it recently start doing it?

Could hold the charging handles of your 120v and your watt station side by side and see if the wattstation one is a smidge longer (from the latching mechanism to the tip of the plug)

I don't think there is anything in the charging socket, as the OEM charger works and "clicks" in place just fine. I did compare the two side by side and the little hook that is supposed to hold it in place and "click" is slightly different in each one, This is why I was wondering if anyone else with the GE Wattstation was experiencing anything similar. It has acted this way since I had it installed.

Update....the reps from the charger handle came to my house to see tp what was going on. They discovered that the charge port on the car was moved slight to the left. They also observed this on a few C-Maxs on dealer lot. These folks also make OEM handles for a few European car companies, they would not say who. There was also a piece of rubber seal that was blocking part of the inner ring. After "forcing " it to latch it worked fine and was not able to be disconnected while charging. I now can connect correctly, but it still takes some effort vs how easily the charger that came with the car can do. They said the were meeting with Ford in Detroit next week and took plenty of pictures. The Ford charger handle is slightly narrower than the GE but both are within specs.

The bottle line, is now it works as intended, just takes a little extra effort.

I am not sure what if anything they will do next.