Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Value charging?

Rexracer

So it took me a little bit to notice, but use value charging set to start at 10 pm each day most of the time. I noticed that when I put it back in value charge it says its going to start charging as soon as its plugged in, but when looking at the settings it still shows 10 pm.

Now every time I plug my car in, it starts charging immediately, not following the 10 PM start time. This has been going on for a couple of weeks, just haven't had a chance to get it into the dealer.

Anyone else have this happen, is there an update for this? Mine is a reasonably early build 2013.

post-556-0-44376000-1401229099_thumb.png

post-556-0-89331000-1401229126_thumb.png

What have you selected for the value charge profile for the place that you are charging at?  Note that there are separate value charge profiles for each location that you charge at. 

I only have one value charge profile (see picture) its set to start at 10pm.

Fat Fusion, mine starts charging as soon as its plugged in no mater time of day.

Others have said that it will start charging immediately but will stop after so many minutes... for whatever reason, the car will put a certain amount of juice back in to the battery before holding until value charge time... but I believe that's for those who come home with a drained battery.

Nope, mine charges till full.

I started not plugging the car in when I get home, so I am not charging at peak hours (TOU electric rates), but then sometimes I forget to come out and plug it in before bed (like last night). So no EV driving for me today. =(

• 1 month later...

Set up value charge profile at home, and all indications are it works.  However, even though the blue ring is off and the fans are not running, the "charging" light on my Clipper Creek LCS-25 charger is still lit up.  Anybody else notice this?  How can it not be charging, and yet the EVSE shows charging?

I do not have value charge so I just plug in and start charging.  Once the HVB is charged, the fan in the trunk is still running, charge ring on the car is off, but my Clipper Creek still shows charging because it is now charging the 12v battery.

Not sure if that is happening for you since you do not hear your fans.  

The car consumes about 70 watts of power to run the on-board electronics and charge the 12 V battery while waiting to begin charging the HVB. 

It's a small 12v battery.  Let's say for the sake of argument that it is DOWN to 80%.  It can't take more than about 20 mins to charge it back to 100% can it?  IMO the little 12v voltage meter I have plugged into my dash is indispensable.  Mine shows in the 14v range most of the time driving so I suspect there is very very little charging to the 12v battery when plugged in.

FWIW my fans do not run unless the HVB is actually charging at the time.

Rexracer- When it's set on VALUE CHARGE, and it's plugged in prior to that time, does it say CHARGING or does it say WAITING TO CHARGE?  The reason I ask is mine has the same bug that confuses when the value charge is and when it's on value charge.  It displays incorrectly, but acts correctly.

My car has never charged the 12 V battery to 100% SOC.  The maximum SOC I have observed is 94%.  But to get to 94% SOC, it spent more than 16 hours over the weekend charging the 12 V battery.  I'm not sure how accurately the car is measuring SOC on the 12 V battery.

It generally charges the 12 V battery at the same time it charges the HVB (which takes about two hours when the HVB is depleted).  Many times, after it has finished with the HVB, it continues to charge the 12 V battery for up to two additional hours.  

The SOC I generally see for the 12 V battery when I measure it is around 85%.  That is the default value when 12 V battery reset procedure is run after replacing the 12 V battery. 

When the car is charging the 12 V battery, the voltage is around 14.6 V.  When it is 85% charged, the voltage should be around 12.75-12.85 with no load. 

Edited by larryh

Thanks for all the info. I just checked and actually, the HVB fan IS running at a very low speed (had to get down under the rear bumper to hear it).  I checked the line feed with my clamp on ampmeter, and it is drawing about .5 amps, or 120 watts, when MFM says the car is "waiting to charge".  Not sure why the car doesn't "lock-out" the call to the EVSE for a charge while it is actually "waiting to charge".

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

Note that the car may also decide to charge a depleted HVB immediately to 5% to 10% SOC after plugging the car in even when using Value Charging, in addition to using 70 watts of power waiting for value charging to begin.  That is why I do not use Value Charge.  I use a timer set to begin charging at midnight connected to the 240 V charger instead.  I do not want the car using any electricity during peak electric rate hours--that would defeat any savings realized by value charging.  The engineers  responsible for value charging made some poor design decisions in my opinion.   The car should wake up at the value charge time and not use any electricity prior to that time. 

Edited by larryh

Thanks for all the info. I just checked and actually, the HVB fan IS running at a very low speed (had to get down under the rear bumper to hear it).  I checked the line feed with my clamp on ampmeter, and it is drawing about 1 amp (.5 amps per each leg) even when MFM says the car is "waiting to charge".  Not sure why the car doesn't "lock-out" the call to the EVSE for a charge while it is actually "waiting to charge".

It's not drawing 1 amp, it's drawing 0.5 amp.  You do not add the leg currents together on a 240 volt circuit. 

It's not drawing 1 amp, it's drawing 0.5 amp.  You do not add the leg currents together on a 240 volt circuit. 

Correct, thanks for pointing out my error.  So, while "waiting to charge", the car's computer allows it to use between 70 and 120 watts.  I guess mine is drawing 120 because of the low speed fan and the onboard charge module.  Does seem silly since "value charging" is supposed to save energy/money.  Anybody from Ford service care to address this?

Edited by EnergiCCAATS