Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Using "Vent Only" Function

Ekpsych

I have finally discovered the method for using the fan for venting outside air without running the air conditioning. This method allows you to use the vent fan without cutting into your HVB range and without using energy on the energy use bar display.

Turn on climate

Set temp to 60 (or cold)

Turn off "auto"

Turn off "air conditioning"

Use manual control for fan speed

Use manual control on screen for vent selection

Do NOT select defrost vent ( if you do you will activate the compressor).

And that should do it. Try it. You'll love it.

I think once it's done it will stay that way and you can turn on air conditioning or turn it off as desired. When air conditioning is on you will notice an immediate drop in range.

Let me know how it works for you. :happy feet:  :clapping:  :hi5:  :jump_earth:

One better: lower the rear passenger window ~ .5 inches, put the sunroof on rear lift. If you go below 2" or so, you hear a buffering noise, but above it you get a nice swirl inside and all the heat is sucked out the top.

I do miss that my Integra let me open the outside vent AND the inside vent to allow energy free passive cooling, but then I also had a sun roof...

Edited by shaggy314

Puishing the AC button turns off the indicator light but does not turn of the compressor.

By gosh you are right.  Thanks!  I noticed that it does not register any energy being used in the Climate gauges, however, I am consistently arriving at home/work with 1-2 miles less range than before I tried using this.  I was not running HVAC all before.  For me, it appears to be a very minimal mileage penalty, but one that is well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad someone explained this as it is a discombobulated process to get "vent only" without a/c compressor operation.  One thing that still confuses me is why the "reduction in HVB range" is the same on the display whether or not I have vent only mode or a/c compressor operation (about 3 miles on average).  I don't drive the car very much though, so maybe it would "learn" that using vent only mode doesn't actually reduce EV range as much.

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

Hmm...mine will show the reduction in range when i first start the A/C...but once I follow the steps for the vent only function, my range estimate is restored to what it was before I started the process.  It's how I know I did it correctly.

I wish I drove the car more, I will try it again next time I drive it and see if it restores to the previous miles estimate before turning a/c on.

I noticed the same situation with the heat.  The heat seems to always be turned on even with the procedure to turn off the A/C.  There seems to be no way to turn off the heat other than to turn off the Climate control with the Energi MFT climate system.  With the heat always turning on, depending on the climate temperature setting, the climate kW dash gauge seems to climb with a higher the temperature setting - indicating the electric heat is on.  Anyone else notice?

Yep, I confirmed (and this is really weird).  I can get into the vent only mode, but if the temp setting is anything but "LO", then the battery range is reduced same as if the a/c compressor was actually on (even though air blowing through vents is unconditioned).  I tried it first and knew I was in vent mode, but the temp settings were still at 72F. When I reduced them to "LO", it added about 3 miles back to the EV range.

• 1 month later...

EnergiCCAATS, same here when I deactivate  my AC button the compressor does turn off and I have only vent air coming in. Having said that, it's Summer here in SoCal so my temp is always at the "Lo" setting, I haven't tried to turn off the AC button with it in any other temp, I'll try that next.

Yep, I confirmed (and this is really weird).  I can get into the vent only mode, but if the temp setting is anything but "LO", then the battery range is reduced same as if the a/c compressor was actually on (even though air blowing through vents is unconditioned).  I tried it first and knew I was in vent mode, but the temp settings were still at 72F. When I reduced them to "LO", it added about 3 miles back to the EV range.

The procedure for those that do not have the updated firmware is:

MAX A/C     -   The temperature is forced to LO

A/C            -  turns the compressor off

Recirc       -  turns recirculation off to get outside air

Adjust the fan speed to what you want.

There's an updated firmware that actually gives a dedicated vent function?  Does it have to be dealer applied?

There's an updated firmware that actually gives a dedicated vent function?  Does it have to be dealer applied?

The car must be updated the latest calibration for the FCIM (the module that controls the HVAC). The only way so far that we've found to do this is by referencing SSM 44558. Or, better said, bring your car to the dealer complaining of the issue detailed in SSM 44558 and reference that number. They'll look it up and hopefully apply the fix to your car.

This is great to hear, I'm coming from a 2010 Fusion S, and I am quite used to just switching w/ one button AC on or off.  Has anyone confirmed if this is specific to FFH/FFE?  I suppose the regular gas Fusions would not have the electrically powered AC, so that would be quite possible.

I believe that gas Fusions do not have any issue with the A/C. It's only the FFH/FFE.

• 1 month later...