Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Dropping out of electric mode with full/almost full charge

Katniss Everdeen

Hello everyone!

So I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Energi. I absolutely love my car. I have had it for 11.5 months now and I am on my second tank of gas with almost 9K miles on it. I bought the car brand new and have been in love since day one. The other day though it started doing something weird. It kept dropping me out of electric mode when I went to accelerate from a dead stop, at say a stop light. I still had 15 miles left of charge on the battery.

A little about my driving. I may be 22 but I drive like an old person when I accelerate because I try to make my electric battery last as long as I can before I hit hybrid mode. So I have very slow starts and of course no sudden stops, have to capture as much energy back that I can, haha.

Here are some factors that might be causing it. It is summer and the temperature where I am at has gone from the 60's, Fahrenheit, to the 100's. Now this isn't unusual but we had record breaking highs last summer and it this didn't happen then. Also there are no extreme hills where I am at so its not like the engine is working overtime to get up a hill.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem?

My service department is trying to tell me this is normal. It can't be normal though because it just started happening to me last week. Why would I spend an extra 20k on a plug in hybrid when I could have gone with the actual hybrid and saved myself the money.

Edited by Katniss Everdeen

Hi, Katniss. Welcome to the forum. I have gotten so much helpful advice from its members.

I have a 2013 FFE too and also love it. I leave the EV setting in EV Auto, but it will jump into Hybrid if I give it a little extra gas to pass someone or if I accelerate quickly any time. I know the heat here (in Arizona) definitely impacts the battery level. But the car goes back into Electric Mode after I've done the accelerating. And of course it also still goes back into Electric Mode for short times when the initial battery charge has been depleted. 

Hopefully another member of this forum will address your situation if they feel it is not right. But to me, it is normal for it go into Hybrid if you give it more than a slow steady acceleration.

This is happening to me which ever mode I am in, minus the wait to use electric later mode.

As both you stated, yes when I do hit the accelerator a little to hard it will drop me out of electric mode. This I have come to understand and accept. But when I have 15 miles on the battery and with the gentelist of acceleration possible why is it dropping me?

I also understand that temperature effects the over all bettery level, in the winter I only get about 20 ish miles to the charge where as summer I get almost 30. Woohoo! haha. But that isn't the issue here either.

The issue is that I still have a decent amount of charge on the battery but on a flat surface and slow acceleration, that should keep in electric mode, is now dropping me out of electric mode.

Unless I come to a complete stop or a small 'hill' to go down it does not go back into electric mode. It will keep me in hybrid mode. Now when I say hill, it is a very minute drop in elevation that I really wouldn't consider a hill.

I just got my oil changed last month, so I'm hoping it isn't because of the new oil they put in it. What is fuel maintenance?

If the gas is in the tank for too long, the engine will come on to burn the gas; it's normal.  This keeps the gas from getting stale, which in modern times is a problem because the quality of gas is now awful.

I also would suggest pressing the "leaf" button on the MFT screen.  The screen which shows the car and where the power is coming from also shows you why the engine is on. "for performance", "oil maintenance", etc...

An oil change in this car isn't required until the car tells you it needs one, or 20,000 miles.  Having 9000 miles on the car wouldn't warrant an oil change.  I don't think this is the cause of your problem (don't think it is a problem).  Also, make sure they use the correct synthetic oil and quantity.  I saw another post where they put too much oil in thinking the car was a "fusion", not the "energy" model.

20K for an oil change? o.0 I only did it really because its part of the package that I bought when I got the car, 2 times a year I get an oil change, whether I really need it or not. Otherwise I won't get the optimum use out of my contract. Oh well.

Now would putting fuel stabilizer in the gas help with the degrigation of it?? I wish I had my car to go test this theory out. (Currently in the shop)

20,000 or two years, or whenever the oil life indicator says it's time prior to the 2 years.  You're driving is much better than mine and I have about 8,500 miles on the car, but only 2,000 gas miles.  Electric motors don't require oil which is another place we save money with these cars.

Well when you get the car back, you can check out the screen.

Let us know how you make out, in case it is an issue with the car.

Steve

If gasoline is in the tank for 18 months, without being replenished, the computer will force the engine to run to burn the gas down to about an 1/8 of a tank.  The burn can be aborted by adding fresh gas to the tank.  If the HVB gets too hot the engine will come on to power the car while the battery cools down.  The HVB is cooled by cabin air so keep the A/C running.

Something I just thought of, which makes me think it isn't the gas now is that in the morning when it is in the 60's, maybe 70's, I will stay in electric mode the whole time no problem. But as soon as I get in my car to go home, now the temperature is closer to the 100's. This is when I drop from electric mode.

Maybe I need to run the A/C more then? I usually just roll the windows down and let the wind keep me cool, my commute isn't to long usually and this keeps from using the electricity to fast.

Something I just thought of, which makes me think it isn't the gas now is that in the morning when it is in the 60's, maybe 70's, I will stay in electric mode the whole time no problem. But as soon as I get in my car to go home, now the temperature is closer to the 100's. This is when I drop from electric mode.

Maybe I need to run the A/C more then? I usually just roll the windows down and let the wind keep me cool, my commute isn't to long usually and this keeps from using the electricity to fast.

Ahhh, temps closer to the 100s?  I missed that in your original post, but yep you wrote temps were in the 60s and now in the 100s.  I think maybe the ICE is coming on due to the temp of the HVB in the back, I have that happen to ours a few times when it has been in upper 90s.

Edited by jeff_h

Ahhh, temps closer to the 100s?  I missed that in your original post, but yep you wrote temps were in the 60s and now in the 100s.  I think maybe the ICE is coming on due to the temp of the HVB in the back, I have that happen to ours a few times when it has been in upper 90s.

But the thing is, last summer we had record breaking highs here where it was around 120 on average and I didn't have a problem with my car then. So why is it happening now??

But the thing is, last summer we had record breaking highs here where it was around 120 on average and I didn't have a problem with my car then. So why is it happening now??

Don't know, but I also browse the CMax Energi forum and looks like an owner in hot climate in CA is experiencing the very same thing... along with replies from several others who experienced it.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/2694-my-c-max-would-not-run-on-battery-today-with-a-full-charge/

Shade.... that has to be the key. I have a new job, as of two weeks ago. The charging here is in the sun.... before I was always parked in the shade. o.0 wow, who would have thought that shade would make such a difference. A year! I went a year without this being an issue, dang.

I will test this theory out over the next week and report back before marking this as solved. But I think this very well might be my solution.

Thank you jeff_h for looking elswhere to help solve my problem.

Edited by Katniss Everdeen

I would suggest programming a "go time" or using remote start to pre-condition the car with A/C while you are still charging and before leaving work.  This should make the battery very happy :-)  and hopefully minimize your ICE coming on so readily.  If sitting in 100+ degree sun, the interior of a car can reach temps over 130-140 degrees!

They probably didn't tell you because "Go Times" are another feature of the car that many salesmen haven't been educated about.

But to be honest, I never could get it to work for me. And since I'm retired and I don't drive every day, my manual system works fine for me. But do give it a try and let us know how it works for you. Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My car does this too. Usually this occurs after I have been driving in in the EV later mode and then switch to auto mode with about 18 miles left on the battery.  I think this happens because the battery gets too hot to work efficiently. I live in the Phoenix area where the temperature can easily climb above 100°. I believe the car is just protecting the battery pack and I treat this as normal driving. What is interesting is that on the last part of my trip I coast off the interstate from a speed of about 75 mph and put the transmission into low gear and it does not charge the battery but rather relies on engine compression to slow it down.  I would think this wasted energy would be used to charge the battery, but maybe it is too  hot to be charged.  I don't recall this happening during cooler weather driving this same route and always using low gear to coast to a stop coming off the interstate.

Same story for me. It was 110 degrees outside (much hotter inside my car with its black leather) after I charged up at a free Volta station in the Phoenix area this afternoon. Then even though I had an almost full charge, the system went into Hybrid mode a couple of times because of the heat. Of course I had the A/C blasting on Max. 

The heat here just makes a huge difference in the battery life. But I am still very glad I bought this car. Whereas my Lifetime MPG was 120-140 during the Winter, now it is around 105 in the heat. But that is still so much better than a regular (non-plugin) hybrid. And when I relate my MPG data to ICE-owners, their mouths just flop open and they are speechless.