Ford Fusion Energi Forum

weight distribution

Steve smith

Probably not mentioned because this car is not exactly the type to be taken out for a joy ride. The car is very heavy with the large battery in the trunk and you can find a couple threads on this site about how soft the suspension is compared to a touring sedan. Not built for the purpose of aggressive driving.

Where this car excels is in fuel economy. If you restrain your desire to push the car it will reward you with exceptional fuel economy with out sacrificing your comfort in a cramped cabin.

The car has enough power to get out of its own way but you will not get the same feeling as you would in a 3 series BMW attacking an on ramp. This Ford is not agile or feel balanced in the energi trim (have not driven the other non electric assisted trims, I was looking for fuel economy). Even if it was 50/50 it is simply too heavy and under powered to matter to list that specification (in my opinion). 

The articles that I have read all say the Hybrid has the best weight distribution and closest to 50/50 with its battery in the trunk.  Nothing mentioned about the Energi.

I agree with meyersnole that Ford probably doesn't want to mention the weight distribution for the Energi since it would be biased towards the rear since it has a much larger battery; 300 lbs in the trunk?  I can definitely tell when driving over road undulations on the interstate.  There are a few more rebounds of the suspension which makes it feel floaty - like a 1990 Cadillac Deville!

I agree completely what you say Meyersnole and Eric as my Fusion Energi  handles exactly and how I want it to. I ask because I would like to know which maneuver would be best in an emergency.  (probably the Heimlich and then a through pants cleaning). I'm thinking turn into it as it feels the rear is dominate, but still curious (less than 60-40 ?) to what the distribution is. I bet the first aftermarket parts will address the 1990 Cadillac Deville feel ,but its just  fine for my old arse. 

I agree completely what you say Meyersnole and Eric as my Fusion Energi  handles exactly and how I want it to. I ask because I would like to know which maneuver would be best in an emergency.  (probably the Heimlich and then a through pants cleaning). I'm thinking turn into it as it feels the rear is dominate, but still curious (less than 60-40 ?) to what the distribution is. I bet the first aftermarket parts will address the 1990 Cadillac Deville feel ,but its just  fine for my old arse. 

I am with you, the suspension seems just fine to me as well.. I only mentioned it as it has been a hot topic of late. I would love it if the car drove like my TL did, but with a huge battery in the trunk I understand the trade off. I also like not having to go the gas station every 8-10 days :-)