9 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Gallons have you Saved?

• 50+
    • 100+
    • 250+
    • 500+
    • 1000+
    • 5000 or more!!! (We're not worthy!!)

Well, I have had my car for one year and  driven 23,000+ miles. Using the MyFordMobile app/site, I just discovered that I just broke the 1000 "gallons saved" barrier vs driving my 17mpg-averaging Honda Ridegline. Woohoo!!!!

The average price of gas over the last year, where I live, has been $3.50. That's $3500! Throw in my $4007 tax credit and that equates to  $7507 in savings.  Even when you factor in the cost of electricity over the last year ($200), it still a great savings. This pretty much means I've had my car free for the last year, because I didn't spend that much in car payments! You can't beat that with a bat! 

I have a little over 4600 miles on my car so I don't drive anywhere near as much as some of you.  It is 1 year + 1 month old at this point.

I have saved about 176 gallons over what I would've used in my 2001 Ford Focus, which is what the Energi replaced (24MPG city)

I have saved about 360 gallons over my other vehicle - a 1999 Expedtion, which I still have (12MPG city).  It's mostly my vacation vehicle or if I need to move something big.  It does better on the highway, in which I get around 19 with it. :)

About 97% of my travels have been solely EV mode.  It would've been higher if we didn't have sub zero temperatures this past winter, or if I could've plugged in at work.  People in my area have started to complain about gas prices (it's about 3.80 or so now) and I just sit back and say nothing, smiling inside, knowing that I haven't gotten gas since I picked the car up from the dealer.  ;)

I have a little over 4600 miles on my car so I don't drive anywhere near as much as some of you.  It is 1 year + 1 month old at this point.

I have saved about 176 gallons over what I would've used in my 2001 Ford Focus, which is what the Energi replaced (24MPG city)

I have saved about 360 gallons over my other vehicle - a 1999 Expedtion, which I still have (12MPG city).  It's mostly my vacation vehicle or if I need to move something big.  It does better on the highway, in which I get around 19 with it. :)

About 97% of my travels have been solely EV mode.  It would've been higher if we didn't have sub zero temperatures this past winter, or if I could've plugged in at work.  People in my area have started to complain about gas prices (it's about 3.80 or so now) and I just sit back and say nothing, smiling inside, knowing that I haven't gotten gas since I picked the car up from the dealer.  ;)

I agree, about people complaining about fuel costs. The price of fuel is approaching $3.70 around here. I couldn't resist rubbing salt in their wound when I posted, to my facebook page, a snapshot of the amount of miles I recently obtained off one tank of gas.  :stirpot:  ;)

If anything, this shows that a person who doesn't always plug in at work and drives about 35 mile one-way/70 miles round-trip, can save a significant amount of money on fuel costs. I do live in a temperate state with cold winters that get down to the single digits and hot summers that get to 100 degrees. So, I don't know if my performance could be compared to someone with a different temperature range.

I also drive a lot differently since I've gotten this vehicle. My average braking score for the life of my vehicle is 97% and and my average MPGe is 57.8. It would be higher, but for those darn winters. My average driving score hovers between 92%-95%. I even made the top 10(Renaissance Man) once! I stay under 65mph on the highway, use "L" when i need to slow my vehicle rapidly, and cruise control to maintain speed. I find that the cruise control uses less energy to maintain my speed then when I try to do it manually. I make sure to pause the cruise control when going highway speeds and descending a light grade. My speed only increases a couple of MPH. So, I saw no point in having cruise control slow me down, only to need to expend energy to go back up the grade or to travel on level ground. 

I had to take my car in to get something repaired and it took the dealer almost 3 weeks to get the part in and do the repair. During that time, they gave me a loaner to use. It was a Lincoln MKT. A very nice car(SUV) with all the bells and whistles. I spent $150 on fuel during that time frame. I spent, in those weeks, what I would normally spend in 3 months. I hated it. I could not wait to get my car back. 

This much I do know, I will never go back to gas-only vehicles as long as I have this commute. PHEV manufacturers take note. As more people figure this out, the market will explode. This car isn't just for folks who want to do all-electric and save the gas engine for the long trips. This is a real contender for those people who have a commute outside the electric range. I bet the sweet spot for PHEVs will end up being somewhere between 40-50 miles. Unless, of course, the oil companies convince the the automakers otherwise.