Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New FFE Owner - Collision Avoidance and other???

Pavman

Hello to all !!  I recently received my new 2014 FFE, equipped with all the bells and whistles and have a few questions I know people here can help me with.  

So far, after three days of driving I love the car; however, quality may not have been job #1 on my Ford so I have a few kinks to work out.  Only minutes after leaving the dealer the "close fuel door" light came on, with the door clearly closed.  I fiddled with the switch in the fuel door compartment and opened and shut it a dozen times, but obviously I must have a bad door sensor.  Now my service engine light is on, and the close fuel door message has to be cleared before each drive.   Also with the SEL on the remote start is disabled.  anyhow, she is going to the local dealer this week for hopefully a quick fix.  On to my other questions:

1. I tried the adaptive cruise control and it seems to work; however, I was wondering if there was an indicator anywhere to confirm that the radar was active and tracking???  I see the white bars, but it sure would be nice if they turned green or something to let me know the car is actively tracking a vehicle....???

2. My car is also outfitted with the active collision warning system with the red bars on the dash.  I have set the sensitivity to high and watched a half dozen videos on how it function, but cannot seem to get mine to prove to me that it is working....  I have the setting turned to "on" and the sensitivity set to "highest" but still no go.  I have even tried speeding up to and directly behind a vehicle parked on the side of the road, and I have swerved pretty darn close and no alarm???   How far away does the collision object have to be to set off the alarm???   Mine is useless....   Could it be disabled like the remote start due to the SEL???  I don't know if I should mention it to the dealer if this is just the way it is?

3. EV Mode:  when I set the EV mode to "Auto"   -  "EV" is still displayed in the left dash monitor..  Simple Logic would make me think it should display "Auto"

That's all for now - thanks for any pointers!  

1)  from memory so bare with me... There is a U shaped icon above the distance bars to show you it 'sees' a car in front of you.

2)  don't try to scare the car, it knows... I've had mine come on, but I'm not sure I'd try to make it do so as it brakes fair drastically. I'm guessing the dealer would know a way to test it.

3) EV is to let you know you are in electric (vs. EV+ or not), the modes of EV are indicated on the other side by the clock icon for later and I forget the EV only one (if there is).

2)  don't try to scare the car, it knows... I've had mine come on, but I'm not sure I'd try to make it do so as it brakes fair drastically. I'm guessing the dealer would know a way to test it.

If someone really wanted to test this one, they could have a friend drive in front of them and then start making a right turn, without the new Energi driver in the back hitting the brakes -- the right turns by the car in front of me is when I see it activate.

However note that this would only be advisable if the two cars were the only ones around and you knew exactly what the car in front was doing and had it coordinated between the two of you, as I would NOT try it with just anyone out in traffic.  Even if coordinated it is risky so be careful.

The minimum speed in which it is supposed to activate is 5MPH (I thought it was higher than that, but guess not).  It will not activate if you're braking.  It's come on for me a couple times (same condition as Jeff_h - people turning right in front of me).  I usually just let off the accelerator and even though I know they'll be out of the way in time, the system thinks I'm going to hit them and alarms.  Startles the crap out of me every time it does.  :)

It does also indicate that it won't activate with stationary objects.

Due to the nature of radar technology,
there may be certain instances where
vehicles do not provide a collision warning.
These include:
Stationary vehicles or vehicles moving
below 6 mph (10 km/h).

• Pedestrians or objects in the roadway.
• Oncoming vehicles in the same lane.
• Severe weather conditions (see
blocked sensor section).
• Debris build-up on the grille near the
headlamps (see blocked sensor
section).
• Small distance to vehicle ahead.
• Steering wheel and pedal movements
are large (very active driving style).

Thanks for all the help!  The car is going into the dealer today, there is no way the collision warning is working, I have watched several videos showing it in use and mine does not work as illustrated or at all.  Maybe having the service engine light on disables the warning for some reason or mistake.  

I am also still looking for the "U" icon to show adaptive cruise control is engaged.

On another note: if anyone has figured out how to disable the front and rear parking sensor dialog (asking to turn on or off)  from popping in the dash display up each time it is activated, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help!  The car is going into the dealer today, there is no way the collision warning is working, I have watched several videos showing it in use and mine does not work as illustrated or at all.  Maybe having the service engine light on disables the warning for some reason or mistake.  

I am also still looking for the "U" icon to show adaptive cruise control is engaged.

On another note: if anyone has figured out how to disable the front and rear parking sensor dialog (asking to turn on or off)  from popping in the dash display up each time it is activated, it would be appreciated.

Let me know how it goes at the dealer, Pavman. If you need my help, just send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll jump in. :)

Ashley

Hello to all !!  I recently received my new 2014 FFE, equipped with all the bells and whistles and have a few questions I know people here can help me with.  

So far, after three days of driving I love the car; however, quality may not have been job #1 on my Ford so I have a few kinks to work out.  Only minutes after leaving the dealer the "close fuel door" light came on, with the door clearly closed.  I fiddled with the switch in the fuel door compartment and opened and shut it a dozen times, but obviously I must have a bad door sensor.  Now my service engine light is on, and the close fuel door message has to be cleared before each drive.   Also with the SEL on the remote start is disabled.  anyhow, she is going to the local dealer this week for hopefully a quick fix.  On to my other questions:

1. I tried the adaptive cruise control and it seems to work; however, I was wondering if there was an indicator anywhere to confirm that the radar was active and tracking???  I see the white bars, but it sure would be nice if they turned green or something to let me know the car is actively tracking a vehicle....???

2. My car is also outfitted with the active collision warning system with the red bars on the dash.  I have set the sensitivity to high and watched a half dozen videos on how it function, but cannot seem to get mine to prove to me that it is working....  I have the setting turned to "on" and the sensitivity set to "highest" but still no go.  I have even tried speeding up to and directly behind a vehicle parked on the side of the road, and I have swerved pretty darn close and no alarm???   How far away does the collision object have to be to set off the alarm???   Mine is useless....   Could it be disabled like the remote start due to the SEL???  I don't know if I should mention it to the dealer if this is just the way it is?

3. EV Mode:  when I set the EV mode to "Auto"   -  "EV" is still displayed in the left dash monitor..  Simple Logic would make me think it should display "Auto"

That's all for now - thanks for any pointers!  

Based on what you have tried with your collision warning, it sounds like your system is not functioning.  I have mine turned down to "Low" and it still detects vehicles that are not really in my path as a possible collision.  

I have never noticed a "U" when I have used adaptive cc and while following a vehicle, however I have never looked for it either.  There's no question it is working though.  I will check this on my way home tonight!

I have never noticed a "U" when I have used adaptive cc and while following a vehicle, however I have never looked for it either.  There's no question it is working though.  I will check this on my way home tonight!

The 'U' shape is meant to be the outline of a lead vehicle, as shown below -

adaptive_cruise_zps577b73e6.jpg

The entire Ford video is below, that screenshot was taken at 0:37 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUMLsc0xxE

Well tomorrow is day 3 in the shop with no rental provided, apparently the parts clerk ordered the wrong part for the fuel door so hopefully the correct one will come in tomorrow, the tech said that the active collision only works with cruise control turned on, obviously he or she needs to go back to Ford School or at least read the manual.    Also, it seems like Ford may have removed the "Min fan" and "Max Fan" sync command from the latest  software my car has, although the ford sync hotline says no, the dealer says it is not listed on the on-screen help so it must be gone...  off to a bad start... hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

The 'U' shape is meant to be the outline of a lead vehicle, as shown below -

adaptive_cruise_zps577b73e6.jpg

The entire Ford video is below, that screenshot was taken at 0:37 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUMLsc0xxE

Thanks for this!  I checked my car today and I saw the graphic.  However, it is very faint and I probably would never have noticed it were it not for this thread!

Edited by jza80

What reason have they provided for not giving you a rental car?

Ford service told me that since I did not purchase a extended warranty they would not provide a rental, too bad the car is only one week old!  I asked again stating that the delay was caused by them ordering the wrong part to have some consideration for me not having my car for three days to give me a loaner for just one day, service manager said "no".

I guess this is a policy of AutoNation Fort Lauderdale -  at the end of the day I called AutoNation Ford in Margate and they were appalled and said if AutoNation Fort Lauderdale would not provide one they would have one driven over to me themselves, they then called up Fort Lauderdale service for me and got me a rental.  

So, lesson learned - if you live in South Florida, skip AutoNation Fort Lauderdale if you have a choice.  

Big thumbs up for AutoNation Margate!

We shall see how today goes..  If anyone can verify my climate command for me in their vehicle, I would sure appreciate it!   :)

My car is also outfitted with the active collision warning system with the red bars on the dash.  I have set the sensitivity to high and watched a half dozen videos on how it function, but cannot seem to get mine to prove to me that it is working....  I have the setting turned to "on" and the sensitivity set to "highest" but still no go.  I have even tried speeding up to and directly behind a vehicle parked on the side of the road, and I have swerved pretty darn close and no alarm???   How far away does the collision object have to be to set off the alarm???   Mine is useless....   Could it be disabled like the remote start due to the SEL???  I don't know if I should mention it to the dealer if this is just the way it is?

Do the red warning lights activate when you start the car?

If the warning lights illuminate and if the ACC is tracking vehicles properly, the warning system is likely also working.   The Collision Warning System is a subset of the ACC system and uses the same radar sensor.  

The Collision Warning System looks for two major things, 1) if a collision with a car in front is imminent and 2) if the driver is doing anything about it.    If the driver is braking or starts to steer away from the obstacle, the warning system will not activate.  Swerving toward a car parked along the street will not necessarily activate the system.  The system can detect if the driver is actively engaged with driving and will not activate. 

Big thumbs up for AutoNation Margate!

We shall see how today goes..  If anyone can verify my climate command for me in their vehicle, I would sure appreciate it!   :)

So, lesson learned - if you live in South Florida, skip AutoNation Fort Lauderdale if you have a choice.  

Wow, glad AN Margate is helping you out.  I would file a complaint against the dealership with Ford Corporate as well.

Do the red warning lights activate when you start the car?

If the warning lights illuminate and if the ACC is tracking vehicles properly, the warning system is likely also working.   The Collision Warning System is a subset of the ACC system and uses the same radar sensor.  

The Collision Warning System looks for two major things, 1) if a collision with a car in front is imminent and 2) if the driver is doing anything about it.    If the driver is braking or starts to steer away from the obstacle, the warning system will not activate.  Swerving toward a car parked along the street will not necessarily activate the system.  The system can detect if the driver is actively engaged with driving and will not activate.

Yes, the lights come on for a quick second when you start the car, I really have only driven the car a few days and it is still in the shop for a fuel door light, hopefully I will get it back Tuesday. Perhaps as some have said it is difficult to trick, I have gone speeding up behind cars real close like an idiot where I would have thought it would activate and it did not. I will just give it a little longer to see if it works after they reset the check engine light.

If anyone has a chance, can someone please see if the "min fan" or "max fan" command works on their climate system for me?

Min and Max Fan are not listed in the list of commands under Help and those commands do not work on my system. Increase fan speed is listed.

Great! Well sort of, they are documented sync commands, but I guess they left them out for the Fusion Energi. Even the Ford Sync hotline says they are there.

Thanks for helping me by letting me know that Ford left out this command. they had me do a master reboot twice to try to resolve, had to re pair my phones etc... all for nothing!

Regarding a loaner car:

After two days (219 miles) of driving my new FFE the engine light came on.  At first nobody at the dealership responded to my e-mails/phone calls for several days.  I finally got the direct number of the general manager who after hearing about my troubles (no responses, engine light on, accessories not installed and some other minor quality control issues) within 3 hours send out a truck to pick up my car and bring a loaner car.  BTW, I drove that loaner car for almost 4,000 miles until yesterday - yes, it took them that long to fix the issues listed! 

Moral of the story:

If you are unhappy with the service at your dealership try to go directly to the management.  While everybody else is much more involved with the day to day operation of the sales/service department, the owner or general manager has a much bigger interest how their business is rated in order to attract new customers and retain current customers.  If you are lucky and plead your case accordingly they might even throw in some extras. 

Well hopefully I will be able to turn in my crappy rental today, dealer says the fuel door is finally fixed (7 days) and they were just working on the "min fan" and "max fan" command which as I just read from a posting above from Energized, the Fusion Energi just does not have like the other Fords.    Apparently neither Ford or the dealer knows this so they are still trying to figure it out with their tech hot line.  I will just let them work on it till I pick it up tonight  :)

Got the car back last night!   Fuel door fixed!  BUT Collision Avoidance system does mot work.  The incompetent dealer tells me that it only works when the cruise control is engaged, and that I had the setting on "Highest sensitivity" which means it won't warn you unless you crash and I should set it to "LOW" to have more warning.  I am tired of battling with them, it is just pointless.

After watching numerous videos of people's dash cams demonstrating how sensitive the system is and false alarms, I wonder if in the latest batch of cars, Ford calibrated the sensor so low to drown out false alarms that it  just disabled mine??  If anyone has a service manual that may show any calibration procedures etc.. I would love to know!

Edited by Pavman