Ford Fusion Energi Forum

System Off due to Battery Conservation Mode

SteveEnergi

Over the past several days, when I first press the "start" button in my car, I'm receiving the following message on the touch screen.

"System Off due to battery conservation mode"

There are also many alert chimes.  No other messages appear, and nothing on the left screen.

The vehicle is fully charged. 

I also receive this message when I press the "stop" button.  It appears that I no longer have accessory mode.  If I just press the "start" button, without foot on the break, I receive a battery conservation message on the left screen, not MFT screen.

Additional Info:

I just received an email from the car stating that my "12 volt battery is low".  It appears there might be something amiss with the charging system and my 12-volt battery isn't getting charged at the end of the cycle, or my 12-volt battery is dying.  It's a "new" 12-volt battery, as the dealer replaced it on the day I took delivery of the vehicle (October 2013).

Anyone else experience this problem?

Steve

Edited by SteveEnergi

The last time I received the low battery warning from MyFord Mobile the voltage was down to 9 Volts--the battery was almost completely discharged. The car died shortly thereafter. The car was running but not charging the 12 V battery and was consuming 23 amps from the battety. I would check the no-load voltage of the battery or measure SOC with a battery charger to verify the battery is low.

Over the past several days, when I first press the "start" button in my car, I'm receiving the following message on the touch screen.

"System Off due to battery conservation mode"

There are also many alert chimes.  No other messages appear, and nothing on the left screen.

The vehicle is fully charged. 

I also receive this message when I press the "stop" button.  It appears that I no longer have accessory mode.  If I just press the "start" button, without foot on the break, I receive a battery conservation message on the left screen, not MFT screen.

Additional Info:

I just received an email from the car stating that my "12 volt battery is low".  It appears there might be something amiss with the charging system and my 12-volt battery isn't getting charged at the end of the cycle, or my 12-volt battery is dying.  It's a "new" 12-volt battery, as the dealer replaced it on the day I took delivery of the vehicle (October 2013).

Anyone else experience this problem?

Steve

Steve,

Let me see how I can help. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

So what was done to fix this?  If the car isn't charging the 12-volt, then that is a bigger issue than a defective 12-volt battery.

Thanks,

Steve

The car will not charge the 12 Volt battery when it is on and plugged into the charger, and the charger is not plugged in or turned on. I was not aware of this until the car died. I just turned on the charger and let it charge the HVB and the 12 V battery.

So you never really had an issue?

My car charges every night (220), sometimes twice a day.  When I left for work this morning, that's when I received the MFM email alert about the low 12-volt battery.  The other messages in the car have been occurring for a few days now, but today was the first MFM alert.

I'm hoping the car will make it until Thursday when I have an appointment for the tire rotation.  I'm approaching 10,000 miles, so scheduled that but now this is happening.

Steve

UPDATE

I drove home in "ev later" mode to see if that might initiate a charge to the 12-volt. Yesterday afternoon after returning from work, I charged my vehicle, as usual. 

I took the time to run a string from the trunk, child release handle to just behind the back seat, just in case I needed to pop the trunk and manually charge the battery. 

After the HVB charged, the "charge" light was still illuminated on my charger, so I believe it was sending power to the 12-volt.  This lasted for about 1.5 hours when I had to run an errand.  This time, when starting the car, I only received the "system off due to power conservation mode.  Press start or turn the ignition off."  However there were no other "low12-volt  battery warnings" on the left console, or chimes.

After this errand, which was a 4-mile round trip, I again plugged the car in to charge.  The HVB blue ring stayed on for about 1 hour which is way longer than it would normally stay on to charge the HVB a few miles.  The charge light on the charger stayed illuminated for a longer period of time.  I didn't receive the MFM message of "your car is charged, enjoy your ride" for about 3 hours.  I figure it was because the 12-volt was charging.

This morning when leaving for work, I started the car as usual and received the "system off due to power conservation.  Press start, or turn off the ignition".  No chimes, or "low 120-volt battery" warning on the left console.  However I did receive an email this morning stating “we wanted to inform you that your 12 volt battery is low”.  This was sent just as I left for work.  When stopping the car at work, the same message about "system off".  I figure the car doesn't want to be in "accessory mode" because of the low battery.

Steve

The vehicle went in for service yesterday morning. I explained exactly what was going on and showed them the MFM alerts.

In the afternoon, I received a call from the service department stating they needed to keep the car overnight, and at this point have no idea what the cause is.  They still need to troubleshoot.  I did receive a couple of emails from MFM yesterday, once the car was at the dealer, saying "your 12-volt battery is low", so that must have been when they were moving the car into a bay.

Thankfully Ashley is monitoring this case, as well as the regional manager for Ford service.

Steve

The vehicle went in for service yesterday morning. I explained exactly what was going on and showed them the MFM alerts.

In the afternoon, I received a call from the service department stating they needed to keep the car overnight, and at this point have no idea what the cause is.  They still need to troubleshoot.  I did receive a couple of emails from MFM yesterday, once the car was at the dealer, saying "your 12-volt battery is low", so that must have been when they were moving the car into a bay.

Thankfully Ashley is monitoring this case, as well as the regional manager for Ford service.

Steve

I don't know if this is related or not, but my car started throwing all kinds of error messages and it was determined the airbag controller had shorted out and caused everything else to fail. I did note that my car didn't seem to hold a charge as long when the error messages were displaying. Perhaps, there is a short of some kind that is resulting in this problem. 

Just received a call from Ford Service at the dealer.  They said my car is ready.  From all of their testing, they said they couldn't find anything drawing on the battery.  The test of the 12-volt battery indicated that it is faulty.  They replaced the 12-volt battery.

Hopefully that is the case but I suppose time will tell.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Final update:

I picked the vehicle up the day before heading out on vacation.  After all of the testing, it was determined the 12-volt battery was faulty and it was replaced.  I wasn't able to drive the vehicle for about a week since picking up the car from service.  I've been driving the car since this past Sunday, and everything appears to be working properly.  I am no longer getting error messages.

I'm not totally convinced that the true cause of the problem was determined, but only time will tell.  Is it possible that I had 2 bad 12-volt batteries in 8 months?  Maybe the replacement battery was from the same "bad batch"?

Thank you Ashley for looking into my case.

Steve