Ford Fusion Energi Forum

High pitch sound when accelerating/braking in EV mode

mczajka

I'm getting a sound like brake squeaking, except it's not as loud, and it only happens when I'm braking or accelerating in the 30-40 mph range. It's consistent when accelerating in EV mode, and when braking at speed. I'm not getting it at slower speeds or when braking hard at a stop. Doesn't happen when coasting. At higher speeds, I think because of other noises, I can't hear it as much. You can hear it with the windows open, but when the windows are closed, it's less pronounced, although when you are familiar with the sound, you can still hear it. Of course I took the car in for an oil change, wheel balance, brake check, and they didn't find anything. I may have to have them drive with me so I can point it out.

Any ideas or any other similar experiences? Something regen related? Something misaligned?

Edited by mczajka

That's interesting. I haven't been able to find anything about it related to our model, but I would definitely hear it in a tunnel.

I did find some similar things on the Prius forums. I think it was so bad on one car that they replaced the inverter.

I wish I could record it, but I don't think it's loud enough. Mine sounds more like a high pitch brake squeak, but it doesn't happen at slower speeds (5-15 mph).

I wish I could record it, but I don't think it's loud enough. Mine sounds more like a high pitch brake squeak, but it doesn't happen at slower speeds (5-15 mph).

Mine tends to make a faint high-pitched tweety bird sound around that speed that is mostly evident when in a tunnel or when the sound bounces off of a jersey wall, etc.  I don't know if it's the same sound that Mark is hearing.

But my wife's car does the exact same thing so I figured it was normal -- when I got my Prius back in 2005 I got the intro to strange buzzing/clicking/whirring/etc so unless a warning light appears or it sounds really loud and obnoxious, I just chalk it up to the sounds of the technology.

This is the result of the DC/AC conversion that takes place in the inverter. Depending on the switching frequency of the inverter you may experience audible noise. This is normal, they can increase the switching frequency but you overdrive the inverter and produce more heat which leads to premature component failure (IGBT) or you can decrease the switching frequency and end up with more audible noise. This is always a balancing act when tuning a drive unit. Ultimately the actual noise is the result of an AC motor operating with a no sinusoidal wave.

"When a motor is powered from an adjustable frequency drive using a PWM 
(Pulse Width Modulated) output waveform, the audible noise produced by the 
stator laminations has a different sound quality than with sine wave power.
The adjustable frequency drive produces an output voltage waveform made 
of high frequency pulses. The frequency of pulses is determined by the 
carrier frequency of the selected adjustable frequency drive.The motor stator 
core laminations vibrate at the carrier frequency changing the pitch of the 
audible noise. Whether the actual power level of the noise is increased due 
to a PWM waveform will depend upon the level of the applied excitation 
voltage."