Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Help with a hybrid buying decision...

garymkrieg

I need some help with a car buying decision we are about to make. The situation is this, we have driven exclusively Lexus for the last 15 years. Our next car can not be a Lexus since it can no longer be towed behind our motorhome, tried the dolly and trailer not going there again. We want to get a hybrid and are looking at a new Lincoln MKZ or the Ford Fusion Energi. Since I can not buy both and keep the one I like I need input from people who have experience with these cars. Price is not an issue with either car, the issue is if we go the Fusion we can get the Energi, with the MKZ that is not an option. I think with our life style the Fusion Energi would be a better choice than a straight hybrid.

If we went with the Fusion Energi, coming from the Lexus, would we be happy with quality, noise level, ride, comfort, etc? My assumption is that we would probably be happy with the Lincoln. This may not be able to be answered but I thought I was better off asking the question anyway.

Gary

Have you taken each for a test drive yet?

I have zero experience with the MKZ.  I can say that I like the ride of the energi but it does have an annoying fan noise that comes from the back seat area, otherwise the car is very quiet.  If I have the radio on I don't notice it.  Not sure if you can flat tow the Fusion, might check into that.  We use an enclosed trailer to tow ours and the plan is to charge it when ever possible when RVing.

You did not mention which Lexus you have.

I have an uncle that has a 2013 Lexus ES350.  Very nice car but whenever I ride in it I hear more road noise in the Lexus than in my Energi.  I was actually quite surprised so I imagine the Energi's noise cancellation works well.  The ride of the Energi is just as smooth as the Lexus.  The Lexus is peppier with it's V6 but that isn't why I bought the Energi.  The features on the Energi, depending what options you choose, were not available on the Lexus.  The quality of the Energi is excellent.

The MKZ interior is very close to that of the Energi.  The major difference is the lack of a shifter.  Personally I like having a shifter but I suppose you will get used to not having it.  But the dash gauges and layout, window switches, and other interior bits are shared between the two vehicles.  

I think the MKZ has more comfortable leather seats than the Energi but that is subjective.  It depends what feels more comfortable to you.  If the MKZ was available as a Plug In Hybrid I might have considered that, but the much higher price of the MKZ made the choice easier for me.  And I am extremely happy with the Energi.

You should spend as much time behind the wheel of both the MKZ and the Energi and see which feels better.  I really like the MKZ but I cannot justify paying the price premium just for the Lincoln name; just my opinion.

I can not speak to towing the car, but my last car was a third generation Acura TL and drove a BMW 528i prior to the Acura.

I am surprised how refined the Ford feels. The biggest adjustment for me is when I drop the car off for service, you most likely get the same treatment as you are accustomed. That might be better with the Lincoln, but the lack of a plug in kept me from even test driving it. I did cross shop the Toyota Avalon limited and preferred the Ford and getting plug in ( also cross shopped the Volt ).

If price is not of concern then I highly recommend loading up the Titanium trim. The adaptive cruise works very well and the stereo will be closer to what you are accustom to (don't expect Mark Levinson sound system though). BLIS works well. Nothing like driving around town on the battery.