Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Test Drive question: Poor acceleration on depleted battery?

eric_n_dfw

He he, I like that - she's actually getting used to it now.  I rode with her the other day and I don't think it's the speed difference, she is just so used to the Volt that having the ICE kick in and wine is disconcerting to her now.  According to the MyFordMobile site, she is actually getting better driving scores than me on the few drives she's done. :)

We thought about a BEV like the Focus EV or Leaf while shopping, and it probably would work for us the majority of the time, but about once a month I go camping out of town with my son's scout troop and need the space and range of our SUV (no plugs at camp).  When I'm gone for 3 days, I don't want to leave her with a ~80 mile round trip tether to our home.  When charging stations at malls and restaurants become more commonplace in the northern DFW area we might re-consider but for now range anxiety wins out against any BEV.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you had a better 2nd driving experience, your first didn't sound right.

I did want to comment on a couple of things from your original post. You gave even score to the appearance of the Volt and the Fusion. While the Volt does look futuristic, its not a car I would want to look at much. It looks like every other Prius out there with a different grill. After 9 months every time I see my FFE I think "wow thats a good looking car".

Also, a major decision point for me to go FFE over volt, back seat space for car seats. For some people the Volt simply does not work. Yes I would like the longer range of the Volt, but thats all.

Looks are so subjective.   Your characterization of the Volt as being like the Prius is a stretch IMO (and would be fightin' words over at gm-volt.com forums! ;) ).  IMHO, I think the Volt is much more sporty looking with a wider stance. 

The Fusion is sharp looking though, my son still calls it our "Aston Martin". 

While not an issue for me, the lack of trunk space is a major turn off in the FFE - that's another area the Volt is pretty awesome in.   I moved twice last year (new home wasn't built before old home sold) and that hatchback proved to be insanely voluminous, especially with the seats folded down.

I love both cars, the FFE just fits my life better right now.

In last 1.5 years, I've never seen an Energi on the lot that had a charge on it. I had to call ahead to get a CMax charged so I could see what it was like since the Fusions weren't shipping yet. Whenever I'm at a Ford (charging, service, etc.) I go do a door pull on the handle to see the SOC... always dead.

This was our experience too when I was helping my parents shop for their C-Max Energi in 2013. They went to test drive the first one that arrived in MN in early 2013 and even though my dad had asked the saleswoman to make sure it was charged for the test drive they hadn't charged it. My parents then went back another day because she promised she would charge it for them and it again wasn't charged. They then went to a different dealer who had also failed to charge it but they waited around for about 30 minutes while the dealer plugged it in and thus were finally able to take a test drive in EV Now. That dealer wanted $10k above MSRP for any Energi they sold so the next day they custom ordered their Energi from a different dealer who sold it to them at invoice price, no haggling required.

I refer to the acceleration in our FFEnergi as "deliberate" when it is in EV mode.  With the engine on, she can "pick up her skirts and go," however.

If your wife doesn't like "deliberate" acceleration in the mid-sized Fusion, get her a Focus Electric.  It's fun!

We also have both a Focus Electric & a Fusion Energi. I can tell that the Fusion doesn't accelerate as quickly as the Focus but I also don't accelerate quickly. As larryh has proven, 2 bar acceleration seems to be the maximum efficiency for the electric motor. I accelerate at 2 bars in the Energi and at an equivalent rate in the Focus Electric.

I would also recommend the Focus Electric very highly!

• 4 weeks later...

Eric in dfw welcome to the Ford Fusion Energy!  Happy to see you and your wife like it!  If you haven't done so already be sure and install a 220 volt charger as that really helps negate the lower EV only range as you can quickly recharge between errands.  Around town, I don't use any gas only on longer trips and since the FFE gets better gas mileage than the Volt, I'm actually getting better overall mileage than I would with a Volt.  Another major obstacle for me with the Volt is that they heavily discourage using a roof rack with that car and since I bicycle and am taking up stand up paddle boarding - I have to have the ability to use a roof rack.  Thule makes one for the FFE that you can get through your LFD.  In the end, its all subjective, and I didn't want to start a "Volt vs FFE" debate since we all use our cars differently but welcome and I hope you have years of trouble free ownership with your new FFE!

PS, I'm exchanging the 17's for stock Fusion "H" pattern 19" spokes in black chrome, I think that's going to really help in the appearance of the FFE and don't mind if I lose a couple of mpg's since I replaced a truck that got 14mpg on a good day, with my avg mpg of 127 over 2200 miles, I couldn't be happier :)  I have to do 200 mile round trips several times a month so I'll not be able to stay on EV (unless I pony up for a Tesla).

Cheers!

Edited by HotLap