Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fuel mileage/MPG way down this Summer

howardbc

I'm in the Phoenix, Arizona, area. I guess my fuel economy also went way down last Summer too, but I wasn't keeping as detailed records as this year.

I had been getting over 1000 miles out of a tank when the weather was more moderate, but I "only" got 972 miles out of my last tank, which was 11.70 gallons. My Lifetime MPG was down to 95.6 mpg the last time I drove the car. It had been as high as 139mpg one time this past Winter. 

But the car is just a dream so far. I've had the car for 1 year and 4 months. I've got 8123 miles on the odometer. My Lifetime brake score is 90%. 

I'd love to hear from other owners in very hot climates as to how their FFEs are doing this Summer. Thanks. 

I'm in the Phoenix area as well. I bought my FFE 2 weeks ago. The first tank of gas was driving from LA(where I bought the car) to Phx. I got about 550 miles to that tank. the 2nd tank is a little better, I am on track for 800 miles to the tank assuming i keep the same driving method. I have nothing to compare against since I am still learning. My commute right now is about 8 miles each way to work and then about 150 miles+ on the weekends visiting family/running errands. 

Hi, Mjasim. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 2014 FFE! 'Sounds like you are already doing great with your new car.

Try to locate the few public chargers you might come across on the weekends. For example, if you're going to be in a restaurant for an hour, you might as well be using a charger, especially if it is free like the Volta ones. 

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to connect with the Phoenix Electric Auto Assn. I joined years ago to get myself educated about hybrids and electric cars. I got very helpful information with no pressure. They occasionally have events around the Valley to educate the public and to allow one to show their car. If you need more info, let me know. 

Enjoy your car!

• 2 weeks later...

Took a road trip from Redlands, Ca to Denver Co…Started with a full battery charge and full tank of gas. Set the cruise control at 65 the entire way. Trip was 1024 miles and used 20.2 gallons of gas. 50.1 mpg including the battery use which costs about $1.05 to fully charge when empty. Was able to recharge the battery on long declines in the mountains, in one instance went from 13 miles to 23 miles! Return trip i went the same route but drove whatever the posted speed limit was and got 40.9 mpg. I'm happy with that. Oh by the way just got the $850 check from Ford in the mail yesterday, can't beat that!

I live in South Florida, one of the hottest and most humid places here in the US and my MPG has actually been pretty consistent since April when I purchased it.   I've about a 40 mile commute to work each way. So I tend to use the EV only on the local roads, and not when I'm on the turnpike.  I average between 50.1 and 52.2 MPG, depending on how much I drive on the weekends, which is almost always full EV.   One day however I did not have any charge at all and used Gas for the entire work trip... that day my MPG was down to 44.. still not too bad IMO.