Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How can I lock my keys in the car?

cmullins

With the handy numeric unlock built in on the driver's door, I don't see why I should carry around a big ugly key-fob all day long. 

I want to lock my keys in the car. I have the keyless system, so I just push a button to start the car. 

Any ideas how I can do this? I've tried everything I can think of. 

My car is a 2014 Energi Ti. 

--

Chris

I have done this before a few times while going jogging and each time it's worked for me - leave the key fob in the car and then with the external keypad press the 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time to lock the doors and I *think* that's it... even though the fob is in the car it doesn't use the proximity to let someone on the outside get in.

Have you tried the above?  Has worked for me.

Thanks guys.

When I've tried to lock the car using the keypad, I hear it lock. But then I open the door (no key) and everything opens. I've not tried holding down the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons, but will give it a shot today. 

I so wish these key-fobs were in the form factor of a credit card. I would love to stop carrying around a giant key chain!

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know. When I go play sports I don't like carrying my keys around in my pocket or leaving them on the edge of the field with my stuff so I usually lock them in the car. With the Focus Electric I can only unlock the car with MFM so I have been hesitant to lock the keys in the car for fear of the MFM server going down. With the Energi it's so nice to have the keypad for unlocking so I don't have to worry about MFM.

Edited by Hybridbear

Good to know. When I go play sports I don't like carrying my keys around in my pocket or leaving them on the edge of the field with my stuff so I usually lock them in the car. With the Focus Electric I can only unlock the car with MFM so I have been hesitant to lock the keys in the car for fear of the MFM server going down. With the Energi it's so nice to have the keypad for unlocking so I don't have to worry about MFM.

To add on to my above posts -- when I did this for the first time when away from home, I rolled the window down first and did a test run of locking them in the car and opening via outside keypad - once I confirmed it worked as expected, I then did it for real with more confidence.