Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford Tech with a New FFE!

FordTech

Hi everybody! I am David, I am a certified Ford technician in Maryland, I just recently (a week ago) took delivery of my 2014 Fusion Energi, I was tired of 24-25mpg consistant in my 2013 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion so I jumped the boat and traded it in on my FFE.

So far I am completely in love with the car, I drive 66 miles a day and with plugging in at work and at home I have been averaging 115mpg to and from work.

I mostly work on Super Duty diesel trucks but I also work on a lot of police and fleet vehicles (Escape, Explorer, Taurus). So I am not VERY intimately familiar with the inner workings of our Energi's yet, however I have a vast amount of information at my disposal with our Ford workshop manual and other resources so I will try to be as helpful as I can with people with questions and problems on here. Obviously owning one of these now I will want to learn as much as possible to help both myself and others as well.

Anyway, enough of the long intro, glad to become part of this community and I look forward to learning and helping as much as possible on here.

-David

Hello and welcome aboard.  I think you're the first Ford tech/mechanic to be on the forums, so it'll be nice to see what kind of insight you'll be able to offer for the more intricate questions that pop up. :)  I'm sure we'll abuse you for new TSBs since that site is not accessible anymore by the public.  :future:   A lot of us have learned a huge amount about the car itself, so I'm sure we'll learn a lot from each other.  Enjoy your >100MPG ride (at least for the summertime!).

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I will be more than happy to assist wherever I can. As far as TSB's what was the last TSB you guys could access? I will take a look and see what TSB's may have come out since and see if I can post any new ones up :)

Thank you.

We keep the known TSBs in the Maintenance section http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/forum/23-maintenance/

Thank you.

We keep the known TSBs in the Maintenance section http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/forum/23-maintenance/

However they are not available online through fordservicecontent.com as they used to be, nor are the recall notices that were previously accessible through a particular dealer's web site (they recently changed their site and shut that down too).

I sent a PM to Ashley (FordService) a few months ago asking if there was a way for us as forum moderators to get access to these so we could posts ones that may be of interest to owners, she said she did not know of a way for that, so sadly that thread with the posted TSBs has not grown much lately.

I have been reading about Tesla service.  They have a different approach.  All cars get all of the updates so all cars are kept current.  The recommended process is with the car connected to your home WiFi (faster) although it can be done via the built-in data radio (slower).

Ford is continually improving the software in the car but unless you report a problem your car never gets updated.  You can't go in and ask to have all of the software brought up to date.  You only get an update if you report a problem and there is an update that covers the problem.  I've lost track of how many times I have been in to have a problem fixed (12 volt battery charging, windows not working, inability to program a third Intelligent Acess Key, etc.).  I have seen the car's location be way off on the navigation map and the hoops I have to go through to get the car into vent mode.  I live with those because it takes a minimum 3 hours of my time to get a problem taken care of.

However they are not available online through fordservicecontent.com as they used to be, nor are the recall notices that were previously accessible through a particular dealer's web site (they recently changed their site and shut that down too).

I sent a PM to Ashley (FordService) a few months ago asking if there was a way for us as forum moderators to get access to these so we could posts ones that may be of interest to owners, she said she did not know of a way for that, so sadly that thread with the posted TSBs has not grown much lately.

If you PM me your email address I will do what I can to download every TSB I can find for the 13 and 14 Energi's and email them to you so you could post them in the TSB thread.

• 4 weeks later...

If you PM me your email address I will do what I can to download every TSB I can find for the 13 and 14 Energi's and email them to you so you could post them in the TSB thread.

Awesome! Thanks! Do you have access to the SSMs as well? There are a number of those where something odd that owners had noticed was actually a problem addressed in an SSM. However, the owners don't know that it is a problem or that it is a fix unless someone shares that information.

To echo Murphy's comment, the fact that Ford is constantly releasing updates for modules but then not installing them in the cars is annoying. I also much prefer the Tesla service model where they update all the vehicles with all updates. Many times there are hidden bugs which are fixed in a new calibration but not publicized such as the A/C button issue. If I go to a Ford dealer and ask them to update all the modules to the current version will they do it?

As follow-up, he did email me the ones he had and I posted them about a week ago: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1248-collection-of-tsbs-related-to-energi/