Ford Fusion Energi Forum

220v Charger Options. Will this work?

Erick Recors

Hello,

Paid a pretty penny to get 220v set up in my garage and was dissapointed to find out my energi didn't come with that adapter. $599 seems pretty price just for the cord, so I kept looking and I found these guys; http://emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/category/listing/23-juicebox-ev-charging-stations

Will this really work? It doesnt say 220v anywhere on the page but the link I found online said this was it. I dont need to charge at night as im .7 per kwh 24/7 here in southern Oregon. 

Hello,

Paid a pretty penny to get 220v set up in my garage and was dissapointed to find out my energi didn't come with that adapter. $599 seems pretty price just for the cord, so I kept looking and I found these guys; http://emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/category/listing/23-juicebox-ev-charging-stations

Will this really work? It doesnt say 220v anywhere on the page but the link I found online said this was it. I dont need to charge at night as im .7 per kwh 24/7 here in southern Oregon. 

?  Come with what adapter?  This explains a bit about EVSE 

Does that help?

Edit - Where did my link go?

Edited by Dan's Energi

There are several products on the page you linked to.  The EVSE (what most ppl call the charger) is more than just an extension cable.  It has circuitry to control when power is being sent over the cables for overcharge and other safety reasons.  I looked at the juicebox but by the time you add the cables to it and all that it's not *that* much cheaper than some of the other options out there.

If you're talkinga bout the JuiceBox, but you're trying to stay cheap then the Clipper Creek one is a great choice for a cheap EVSE.  The juicebox can be had for just slightly more if you're willing/able to assemble (which means no warranty!) and don't add too many frills.  The main benefit of the Juicebox is that it supports up to 60A (though this depends on the plug/wiring that you got installed), so if you're wired for a larger EVSE, and configure it with the right input/output cables, it's more futureproof in case you get a different EV.

Keep in mind that you don't need the biggest, most powerful EVSE for the FFE because it only has a 3.3 charger.

Good point, I meant to mention that in my comment about the Juicebox being more futureproof, the point being that it may help you more than the Clipper for other cars in the future but not for the Fusion.