Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is it worth charging?

cmullins

Chargepoint generally charges $2 / hour, and it takes about 3 hours to charge my Energi. On that charge, I get about 25 miles. A gallon of gas is $4, and gets about 45 miles. 

• (Electric) 25 miles / $6 = $0.24 / mile. 
  • (Gas)      45 miles / 4   = $0.08 / mile. 

That's a 3x win for Gas over Electric, as priced by the Chargepoint stations around the area.  

It makes me sad that it's cheaper to NOT charge my car. 

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. What I really need is a cheap or free charging station at work-- then I would be mostly 100% EV on a daily basis.

I looked into charging on my way home at a blink station while I went to the gym. It was a great idea in theory. It would have doubled the incentive to go the gym. I did the same math as you did  (and inquired about it here) and concluded it was not cost effective for our cars. 

As it is, according to MyFord Mobile website, during the past 30 days, I'm 74% EV which suggests to me feel that a PHE was a reasonable choice.

Edited by Lightfoot

• 2 weeks later...

In my residential area, our electricity rates are tiered, and we do hit tier 4 during the summer months, which last month was around $.40 kWh, so it makes me pretty sad I paid extra to have a car with less gas mileage than the hybrid AND paid a premium for that battery, but it's not even efficient for me to use it! It's better off paying that $3.70 or so for the gallon and getting 40+mpg.

Edited by Simon Chang

In my residential area, our electricity rates are tiered, and we do hit tier 4 during the summer months, which last month was around $.40 kWh, so it makes me pretty sad I paid extra to have a car with less gas mileage than the hybrid AND paid a premium for that battery, but it's not even efficient for me to use it! It's better off paying that $3.70 or so for the gallon and getting 40+mpg.

Not trying to come off like an ass but that sounds like a lack of research prior to purchase on your part.

so it makes me pretty sad I paid extra to have a car with less gas mileage than the hybrid AND paid a premium for that battery, 

Don't believe the "sticker" ratings, the Energi will yield better mpg than the hybrid when in hybrid only mode, due the larger storage capacity of the HV battery which can hold more capacity during regen.  We consistently get mid 50s mpg plus when in hybrid mode only (Prius territory).

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

For me it is <= $1 hour or <- $.35 kWh... otherwise gas is cheaper. I did pay $.50 kwh once for fun, but that was it. Energi has a slow charger so by the hour is horrible for us.

First of all, impressive # of fill ups on the Acura!   :clapping:

I think I'm going to stop charging at work on the Blink Network based on the new rates.  I was charged 49 cents/KWH today instead of the usual buck an hour.  Seems like the deal is getting even worse for the cars that can charge faster.   :spend:

It's not going to be a huge deal for me since I do a fair amount of 75 MPH freeway driving to and from work with just the right amount of stop-n-go and around town at lunch to use my one charge fairly effectively.

For those in the Pacific Northwest, things look a bit different. After getting everything settled, here are my charging options:

• Charge Point (Public) = $2 / Hour = Not worth it. 
  • Charging at Work = $0.50 / Hour = 3 hours = $1.50 = Slightly cheaper than gas, but it's close. 
  • Charging at Home = $0.08 / kwh = $0.24 for a Full Charge = Worth it. 

For those in the Pacific Northwest, things look a bit different. After getting everything settled, here are my charging options:

• Charge Point (Public) = $2 / Hour = Not worth it. 
  • Charging at Work = $0.50 / Hour = 3 hours = $1.50 = Slightly cheaper than gas, but it's close. 

Or option #4, charge for two hours at work (assuming it's L2) if you're consuming that much electricity.  It'll give you 85-90% charge for a buck.

First of all, impressive # of fill ups on the Acura!   :clapping:

Thank you, I imported my own spreadsheet (now I just use fuelly.com). It's the easiest way to see issues with the car, any drops in MPG and I know something was up and I could see how my driving habits cost/save me. With the exception of 2009 (God only knows why) I had virtually all of them. It's a habit to write the odometer on the reciept

• ChargePoint (Public) = $2 / Hour = Not worth it. 

Keep in mind for the work charging, you are using a more efficient motor (electric) so... better for the world. Keep in mind station owner set the rates & $2 is the default, I've seen others with different rates.

Edited by shaggy314