Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Winter Tires

Alex

We don't get enough snow in the PNW to justify snow tires for my car, but I do have a set of Blizzak DM-V1s on the wife's RDX we use to trips into snowy' areas. I have been nothing but impressed with them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V1

I assume your looking at the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 , looks like a great tire.

Tire racks review has the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (Studless Ice & Snow) as the top tire. Though not in the right size, so they have the Xi3 in our size.

But the treads on these do not look very aggressive. Though for a winter tire I think the rubber build is the most important.

• 1 year later...

X-Ice and Blizzaks are probably the two best winter tires on the market.

X-Ice have a better roll resistance so you'll get better fuel economy, but you give up a mild amount of handling in slush. The Blizzaks handle slightly better but have some drag. The difference in mileage is only about a 1/4 mile per gallon, but I think that's worth the extra traction.

Either way, winter tires are one of the best investments you can make.

I usually buy a set of cheap rims that I don't mind being damaged by winter salt and potholes, and winter tires.

I have 17's, but 16's will fit, so I'll get a set of 16 to give me a larger sidewall. This allows for less damage to the rims, steering and suspension components when you hit potholes.