Ford Fusion Energi Forum

TSB 13-09-05; Gurgle/Slosh/Percolating/Tapping Noise From Fuel Tank Area

Eric4539

Hi friends,

I had my car in for a couple of the TSB's the other week.  One TSB performed was for the gurgle/slosh that I could hear on occasion from the fuel tank.  I was told that the technicians replaced the gas tank.

I filled in gas the other week and I noticed that the fuel filler is now sitting at a slight angle slightly to the right.  Prior to the TSB performed the fuel filler sat flush or deeper inside the filler door.  I had to insert the fuel filler at an angle and I also noticed that the neck of the filler itself moves.  It doesn't seem loose but seems to move because it is not sitting flush within the filler compartment.  

I took my car back and showed this issue to my service guy.  He called me in the afternoon and said they checked 3 other like vehicles and they all were like this.  I did not question him but I decided to ask all of you for help.  Will you check your cars and let me know if your gas filler sits snugly or is it at an angle?

I posted a pic in the Gallery.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hybridbear; I could not get a good photo of the issue because I don't have a before to compare with the after.  And I know just a picture of the gas filler doesn't help much.  And it is difficult for me to explain all of this.

What happened was I took my car to the dealer because I could hear the sloshing from the gas tank when I would pull out of the long term parking lot at the airport.  I never paid much attention to it because I was so anxious just to get on the road after my flight.  But it was a strange sloshing sound like water was running in the car.

So the dealer told me they had to order a new gas tank per the TSB.  I have not heard the sloshing noise since they followed the TSB.  But the first time I had to fill in gas after having the new gas tank installed, I immediately could see that the filler neck was now at an angle towards the rear of the car.  And the capless part (the yellow/orange part) did not sit flush against the car.  I now have to put the nozzle from the gas pump into the capless part at an angle.  My normal action was to just stick the nozzle into the capless filler.  But I can't do that anymore; I have to consciously angle the nozzle towards the front of the car in order for it to fit into the capless filler.  

If I grab the capless part I can actually shake the entire filler neck that goes into the body of the car to the gas tank.  It isn't loose, but because it doesn't sit flush with the body of the car, it seems that there is nothing to support it well.  Not sure if that makes any sense but that's the best way I can explain it.

I went back to the dealer and showed my technician.  Later in the day he called and said the gas tank is correctly installed.  "CHECK AND VERIFIED FUEL FILLER NECK AT AN ANGLE INSPECT 3 LIKE VEHICLES TO VERIFY FILLER NECK IS CORRECTLY INSTALLED NO PROBLEM FOUND".  But I don't think they inspected an Energi, and I don't know if there is a difference with the Energi.

Another day I checked 2 gas engine Fusions and the filler necks were all at an angle and one of them shook a lot easier than the other.  I asked if I could check one of the Energi's, and guess what?  All of them out in the lot were locked.  The Energi outside their showroom was unlocked but apparently with a dead battery.  The fuel filler door button didn't work.  The salesman said all of the batteries were probably dead.  I asked how would I be able to test drive an Energi?  He said we would have to jump it.  But no one made a move to jump it.  Since I wasn't buying they weren't interested.

Which is why I thought I would ask someone in this Forum.  I hope I explained the issue.  I know it's confusing.

Thanks friends!