Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Acura a luxury brand? Absolutely not; compared to the FFE Titanium

SteveEnergi

So my wife owns a 2008 Grand Cherokee and is looking to replace it.  At every opportunity, she drives my FFE Titanium and loves that car.  She would actually like to purchase her own FFE, but we keep an SUV to haul the kayaks around and for vacationing.

This weekend, she wanted to take a look at the Acura MDX with Technology package.  The "technology" package is close to the Titanium however it doesn't have ACC, that's in Acura's "Advanced" package.

She was expecting to be awed by the Acura interior and features, but that wasn't the case; at least compared to the FFE Titanium.  For one, there are too many "knobs" and the leather and interior doesn't really compare to the FFE.

Other items that I was surprised about were

1. the backup camera system is really lame compared to the FFE.  Acura doesn't have "beeps" for warnings, no color indicators.  It's really pathetic for a "luxury" brand.

2. the ride wasn't that great in the MDX.

3. the interior really seemed dated

To sum it up, we were very underwhelmed and the Acura is now off our list.  The Honda Pilot Touring has a nicer interior than the Acura (isn't it the same company?).  Funny thing is the Pilot backup camera has the proximity color.

Hats off to Ford to really killing the interior in the FFE Titanium's and the outstanding features.  They really are luxury items which apparently aren't found in the luxury brands.

Steve

Funny, the interior and quality of the leather is what kept me from buying a regular Fusion. It wasn't until I figured out that I could make the Energi work for me, and accept (in my opinion) lower quality leather that I got the FFE. I am completely happy with the car, but whenever I get in my wifes RDX I wish the FFE was a little higher quality. The ride in the RDX and I assume MDX are definitely going to side on the stiff side (i.e. sporty).

What you should look at is the new Edge, the Explorer hasn't done well in comparison tests, but the new Edge is suppose to be a big upgrade. I believe its the same chassis as the Fusion, and will have the 2.0 ecoboost available (decent mpg).

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-edge-official-photos-and-info-news

The Acura is off our list due to what I mentioned above.  The Explorer is a possibility and the Pilot is a front runner.  I would consider the Flex (same interior) but my wife doesn't like the exterior looks of it, so it's off the list  The Edge is too small in the cargo department.  We throw 2 Kayaks on the roof and all the gear and luggage in the back which takes more area than the Edge has to offer.

Overall, I've been won over by Ford, so if the Explorer works we may go with that over the Pilot, however the Pilot has a larger cargo area.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...