Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Interested in getting a 240V charger

Justin Adkins

I've been a 2014 Energi owner for about a month now. I've been using the 120 V charger that came with the car. However, I'm interested in getting the 240V charger. What are my options?

It seems to be that the best route is to go via Best Buy and Geek Squad. From my understanding, I can purchase a 240V station for around $800 and have that mounted on the side of my house. My other option is getting a 240V outlet installed and then purchasing an adapter to covert my current 120V to a 240V.

Which one of these would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Justin, did you ever get your 220v installed?  I went with a ClipperCreek 40AMP 220v about 6 weeks ago and couldn't be happier (I had an electrician come out and install a 220v outlet so I can plug in my ClipperCreek and can unplug and take with me if the occasion ever arises (vs. a hard wired install).  Really enhances the enjoyment of the FFE by not having to worry about charge levels for my in town driving - due to the faster charging, Its generally full when I'm ready for my next errand, gym visit, etc.!

We went with a 40A Clipper Creek which is rebranded to Sun Country in Canada but the hard wired one.

The salesman recommended future proofing and we did somewhat. We installed wire heavy enough for at least a 60A in the future.

Going beyond that would be quite expensive like changing the panel etc. to 200A