Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What am I doing wrong??

HotLap

I've been having an issue getting the car into EV drive mode about every 3rd or 4th time I try and drive it.  I always press the engine start button in the same sequence, yet at times a dialogue box appears and says I must press the brake to start and when I do that it still doesn't switch into run mode?  I have to press the start engine button again and sometimes it turns off the ignition and I have to start the sequence all over again...the car runs fine, it has to be operator error of some sort?  Anyone else notice this?

Some Focus Electric owners have reported the same thing. Are you moving really fast? We had this happen a few times when we first got the Focus Electric. I was moving too fast and was either releasing the brake too soon or pressing it too late so that it wasn't triggering the car to start. I worked to slow down my process and haven't had issues since.

This happens at least once a week to me, and every time I can equate it to me not pushing the brake in before hitting the start button. I think you have to be past the regen part of the pedal stroke, and into the hydraulic part of the pedal stroke to make the start work. Often I think "I pushed in the brake, why didn't it start?" then I think about it and realize that my foot was very lightly on the brakes, not firmly depressed.

And it always takes some cycling to get it into Run after this occurs, its never just "foot on brake, push start once" its like the system gets confused after you try and start it without all the conditions being met.

I just need to slow down a bit, as it generally happens when I'm moving fast and probably haven't fully depressed the brake pedal yet.  Thanks to both Rexracer and Hybridbear for the heads up!

Take your time and go through the proper steps -- just like these guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBe3QzVW5_8