Ford Fusion Energi Forum

USB or Media Player for music?

musicmafia

my FFE finally arrived a week ago and I'm starting to play with it. using my mp3 player and having some issues. maybe y'all can help?

1. I'm leaving the player plugged in so it doesn't have to re-index 4000 songs every time BUT about 60% of the time, after I turn on the car it doesn't read the device (unless I unplug and plug back in to usb, in which case it has to index again).

2. playing playlists (.pla) seems very glitchy and only works @ 10% of the time. sometimes I get an error saying playlist is empty (they are not). other times I can voice command or manually choose a playlist and it stops the current song and acts like it is going to play then just seems to freeze up.

3. not sure if a usb flash drive will work better than my media player but if I plan on trying it. Should I sync the usb drive using Windows Media Player or just copy/paste the files?

thanx :) MM

Hi musicmafia, 

When getting back in the car, have you been pressing the VOICE COMMAND button and saying USB first? Which type of media player are you using? 

If you decide to put your music on a USB, remember that it must be formatted to FAT32 in order to be recognized through the MyFord Touch system. It also can't be password protected. You can use the Windows Media Player to create playlists before adding the music to the flash drive. The supported music file types are .mp3, .wma, .wav, and .aac. 

Kim

I use a 16G thumb drive that I just leave plugged into the car. This works very well.

In the past I have had issues with my iPhone connected through USB... works for a while then just stops. I usually switch it over to bluetooth which I do not think I have ever had issues with. Probably would have worked to unplug and plug again... but this other route worked so I never really troubleshot that any further.

Another tip... ensure that your tags are complete and consistent. This speeds the index and generally performs better. I think I found a tool on the Ford site to check the tags. If you can not find it just post and I will dig for the name.

Good Luck!

Well it looks like Ford has abandoned development of Sync my iTunes.

When you try and run it you get "iTunes is busy. Please close SYNC My iTunes and try again later" I tried a reboot and ensured that iTunes was using 0% of my processor and still no joy. I also tried to run SYNC My iTunes with Administrator privilages, then it claims that iTunes is not downloaded and offers to do it for you.

I went to the SYNC forum and found that these issues have been known for a year now.

Very disappointing... I just rebuilt my iTunes library (I keep my music in Media Monkey) for me new phone. Would be nice if Ford made a real investment in their IT department or hire a competent vendor company -- start with the ones who did the dashboard, that code seems to work.

hi kim, when it works, usually I will turn on the car and it will resume song where it left off....when it doesn't and I say usb 1 it says nothing is connected (unless I unplug and replug)...I use a creative labs zen vision W 60gb...will try a usb using FAT32....I use wma files.

Since the device you're currently using hasn't been officially tested yet, I think it is a good idea to try the USB: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. The correct voice commands are being used and .wma files are supported by your system. Let me know how it goes!

Well it looks like Ford has abandoned development of Sync my iTunes.

When you try and run it you get "iTunes is busy. Please close SYNC My iTunes and try again later" I tried a reboot and ensured that iTunes was using 0% of my processor and still no joy. I also tried to run SYNC My iTunes with Administrator privilages, then it claims that iTunes is not downloaded and offers to do it for you.

Hi meyersnole, 

The SYNC My iTunes tool is still available on our website. Once you're logged into your account at: www.Support.Ford.com click the UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click the DOWNLOAD SYNC MY ITUNES link at the bottom of the page. Is that the one you have downloaded? I'll look into this to see if any issues have been reported with this program. 

Kim

Okay here we go. Got a spanking new USB drive formatted to FAT32, transferred all the files (.wma) to the USB using Windows Media Player and it STILL will NOT recognize ANY playlists! I mostly listen to playlists so this is driving me crazy ;) PS the files index much faster with the USB and searching and forwarding to next track is also much faster than using my media player BUT it says "no playlists were found on your device". Please help! Thanks

Since the device you're currently using hasn't been officially tested yet, I think it is a good idea to try the USB: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly. The correct voice commands are being used and .wma files are supported by your system. Let me know how it goes!

Hi meyersnole, 

The SYNC My iTunes tool is still available on our website. Once you're logged into your account at: www.Support.Ford.com click the UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click the DOWNLOAD SYNC MY ITUNES link at the bottom of the page. Is that the one you have downloaded? I'll look into this to see if any issues have been reported with this program. 

Kim

Hello Kim,

I did download the latest tool and when installing the tool the install informed me that the same version was already installed on my system. I proceeded with the install anyway.

I also checked the SYNC Forum and noticed a thread from a year ago that outlined my issue:  Actually the original thread was started in 2012, the tool is Copyright 2009.

http://fordsyncforum.com/topic/2661-sync-my-itunes/?p=13503

Edited by meyersnole

Okay here we go. Got a spanking new USB drive formatted to FAT32, transferred all the files (.wma) to the USB using Windows Media Player and it STILL will NOT recognize ANY playlists! I mostly listen to playlists so this is driving me crazy ;) PS the files index much faster with the USB and searching and forwarding to next track is also much faster than using my media player BUT it says "no playlists were found on your device". Please help! Thanks

Hi Musicmafia... do not use playlists, but did a little searching and found the following:

1) there is a free utility that has been referenced a few times (not tried it, not vouching for it)

quoted from a Ford Flex forum:

"You can use SyncPlaylist it is a free utility by Openview Design http://www.openviewdesign.com It also works in cars without Sync by creating an ordered playlist. It worked great for my Ford Focus. Easy to use."

and

2) Instructions from another Ford IVT member (have not tried this either)

1. Make sure the music is listed on the flash drive.

2. Transfer the music from the flash drive to Windows Media player in the Media Library tab.

3. Click on Playlists, and then Create New Playlist

4. Go back to the Media Library and Sort the music by the file name to show the file path starting with the Flash Drive Location (E.g…E:\Music\MyMusic\...)

5. Select the songs that you would like to add to the playlist and drag and drop them, or right click them and send them to the correct playlist.

6. Once the playlist is complete, click on File and then Save Playlist As.

7. Click on My Computer, and then select the drive associated with the flash drive.

8. Change the Save As Type to Any Playlist

9. Name the file and click on Save.

Hope this helps!

Jaclyn icon_e_smile.gif

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

Hi Musicmafia... do not use playlists, but did a little searching and found the following:

1) there is a free utility that has been referenced a few times (not tried it, not vouching for it)

quoted from a Ford Flex forum:

"You can use SyncPlaylist it is a free utility by Openview Design http://www.openviewdesign.com It also works in cars without Sync by creating an ordered playlist. It worked great for my Ford Focus. Easy to use."

and

2) Instructions from another Ford IVT member (have not tried this either)

1. Make sure the music is listed on the flash drive.

2. Transfer the music from the flash drive to Windows Media player in the Media Library tab.

3. Click on Playlists, and then Create New Playlist

4. Go back to the Media Library and Sort the music by the file name to show the file path starting with the Flash Drive Location (E.g…E:\Music\MyMusic\...)

5. Select the songs that you would like to add to the playlist and drag and drop them, or right click them and send them to the correct playlist.

6. Once the playlist is complete, click on File and then Save Playlist As.

7. Click on My Computer, and then select the drive associated with the flash drive.

8. Change the Save As Type to Any Playlist

9. Name the file and click on Save.

Hope this helps!

Jaclyn icon_e_smile.gif

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

will try the utility...not sure I'm following the 2nd instructions

Hello Kim,

I did download the latest tool and when installing the tool the install informed me that the same version was already installed on my system. I proceeded with the install anyway.

I also checked the SYNC Forum and noticed a thread from a year ago that outlined my issue:  Actually the original thread was started in 2012, the tool is Copyright 2009.

http://fordsyncforum.com/topic/2661-sync-my-itunes/?p=13503

If you see an option to SHOW ITUNES IN THE CLOUD PURCHASES, make sure you turn that OFF. This may be found in the STORE tab of the iTunes preferences. After switching that setting, you should no longer receive the ITUNES IS BUSY message. 

The SYNC My iTunes program is designed to fill in all missing metadata with the word UNKNOWN in order to make the indexing process easier. If you continue to experience issues with the program, I suggest manually fill in missing metadata in your music library with the word UNKNOWN. Another way to improve indexing is to change all similar metadata categories (rock alternative, classic rock, rock and roll, etc.) to one word (rock). This will also free up some memory.

yes I have tried the browse button and voice commands and can't see any playlists on the usb

When saving the playlists in Windows Media Player, try saving them with a .m3u extension. As long as the USB is plugged into your computer, you can save them right to that USB instead of saving it to the computer first. While you have the library pulled up, also make sure your metadata is filled out completely. Missing metadata (track, artist, genre, album) can cause the MyFord Touch system to have trouble recognizing the files. 

Kim

If you see an option to SHOW ITUNES IN THE CLOUD PURCHASES, make sure you turn that OFF. This may be found in the STORE tab of the iTunes preferences. After switching that setting, you should no longer receive the ITUNES IS BUSY message. 

The SYNC My iTunes program is designed to fill in all missing metadata with the word UNKNOWN in order to make the indexing process easier. If you continue to experience issues with the program, I suggest manually fill in missing metadata in your music library with the word UNKNOWN. Another way to improve indexing is to change all similar metadata categories (rock alternative, classic rock, rock and roll, etc.) to one word (rock). This will also free up some memory.

When saving the playlists in Windows Media Player, try saving them with a .m3u extension. As long as the USB is plugged into your computer, you can save them right to that USB instead of saving it to the computer first. While you have the library pulled up, also make sure your metadata is filled out completely. Missing metadata (track, artist, genre, album) can cause the MyFord Touch system to have trouble recognizing the files. 

Kim

Thank you for looking at this, but when I found that option it was already unchecked.

Do not think that updating metadata in over 5,000 files is an option, but I will try and clean it up the best I can. Thank you for the tips.

Edited by meyersnole

speaking of tech glitches, I cant seem to reply with quotes or copy/paste into the reply box......

Kim, thanks for your help. Can you walk me through how to save all my playlists in WMP as m3u files? when I right click the files in WMP I don't see a save as option. thanks

I clicked the quote button at the bottom of your post to get the above quote.

Manual cut and paste is done with control-C and control-V on a PC or with command-C and command-V on a Mac.

I know how to use the quote function and how to copy/paste LOL. I hit quote for this reply and I get a blank reply box. the problem is intermittent for me and I have posted about it in other threads and many here have the same intermittent issues with this forum. didn't mean to go off topic. can anyone help me get my FFE to play a playlist?

Thank you for looking at this, but when I found that option it was already unchecked.

Do not think that updating metadata in over 5,000 files is an option, but I will try and clean it up the best I can. Thank you for the tips.

You're welcome. If I hear of a better workaround I'll certainly share it with you. I understand that manually changing the metadata can become tedious. 

speaking of tech glitches, I cant seem to reply with quotes or copy/paste into the reply box......

Kim, thanks for your help. Can you walk me through how to save all my playlists in WMP as m3u files? when I right click the files in WMP I don't see a save as option. thanks

I'm no expert on Windows Media Player, but I'll try my best ;)! 

Once you have the program open, you should see an option to CREATE PLAYLIST at the top. Click that link and you can name the new playlist. Drag songs from your music library to the playlist you've just created (I realize you may have already done this). Once you have the songs arranged in the order you want them in, click the LIST OPTIONS icon to see more options (on my screen, this looks like a tiny square with a blue check mark). Click SAVE LIST AS and switch the file type to .m3u and click SAVE. 

A quick Google search may provide some clarification as well :). 

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

this week I figured out a workaround but its a pain. I import my wpl playlists into Amok Playlist Copy, then simply re-sort them to number serially, then export the renamed files into folders in the root of my usb. I had to manually create a folder and name it to match each playlist.

so my usb drive has these folders:

Music (all the songs)

Title of "playlist" folder 1 (containing the numerically renamed files)

Title of playlist folder 2

etc etc

I cant voice command the folders in Ford Sync BUT I can hit browse and see the list of playlist folders and they play fine.

It is merely a folder containing those songs in a way that is read by Ford Sync but at least it works.

I am definitely looking for an easier way to play my playlists from usb.