Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sync Update?

murphy

I have both a 2013 FFE and a 2014 Escape.  The 3.8 update is available for the Escape.  Unless there are great improvements I may not upload the 3.8 to the Escape or the FFE--assuming it is/becomes available for the FFE.  Everything is working on both vehicles so I don't see any immediate need for an update.

UPDATE:  I installed 3.8 in both the 2014 Escape and the 2013 FFE.  Ended up installing the update in the FFE first.  I then removed the .XML file and used the same thumb drive to load the Escape.  The .XML is generated during the installation process and is vehicle specific.  The file contains the vin of the vehicle that is being loaded and is used to report the installation to Ford as a last step in the update.

Edited by JATR4

I have both a 2013 FFE and a 2014 Escape.  The 3.8 update is available for the Escape.  Unless there are great improvements I may not upload the 3.8 to the Escape or the FFE--assuming it is/becomes available for the FFE.  Everything is working on both vehicles so I don't see any immediate need for an update.

Amen, and thats why I asked about it. I'm no longer going to do this/that for something I really dont need

I'd like to try that update as the texting feature died with my Nexus 5 after it updated to Android 5.1 and newer.  It's still dead even with 6.0.  The girlfriend's phone (Galaxy S4 on android 4.4 or 5.0) still works fine with it and so does my work Blackberry.

I couldn't get my wife's iPhone to work before the update, but after updating it now works.  My BlackBerry also works great with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this, sent my VIN to FordIVTteam to get the 3.8 upgrade added to my account which says I'm up to date but stuck on 3.6.2.

Don't hold your breath.  The response that I got was to take my car to my dealer to have it installed.  Since it's not warranty related I expect that they would charge me at least $100 but since it is not listed for my car they probably would have sent me away without doing it. 

I downloaded the file that has been posted on the Fusion Hybrid forum and installed it myself.  It worked fine.  Reporting the installation was tricky but I eventually figured it out. The link is in this post.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/10558-version-38-available/?do=findComment&comment=100530

It's a shame that Ford apparently has no one available that knows how to correct their web site.

Edited by murphy
add link

I still have the installation files from when I installed 3.8 on the Focus.  I should be able to delete that one XML file it wants you to upload to Ford and should be able to install it on my car.  I may try that a bit later today.

I kind of wonder why Rebecca in that thread said not to use files from someone else.  They're the official Ford files.

As far as the PM goes, the only response I got was that they've escalated it and are working on it.  I wonder how much longer it'll be before it is actually on my account.

Download the file I linked to in my previous post.  It is for a Fusion Hybrid which is mostly the same car as an Energi.  You could compare the Focus file to it to see if they are the same.  I doubt that they are customized to the car but may be customized to the model.

The .xml file that gets uploaded to Ford, after the install, is unique to the car and includes the VIN of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded and installed the 3.8 update.  I had no problems installing it. It does take about 30 minutes so give yourself enough time to do it.  After the update, I feel like they reduced the color depth of the on-screen buttons.  Maybe this was done to improve performance?  Anyone else noticed this?

Been a lurker for a long time here, but I figured I'd chime in.  With my 2013 Energi I also had the website tell me I was up to date on 3.6.2.  I opened a support ticket up with Ford the day the upgrade was announced... had a callback to "regenerate the website check" and then have heard nothing since.  This is annoying...

Finally got tired of waiting.  I downloaded the file on the Hybrid forum and it is identical to the Focus files, right down to the byte, so it seems to be a completely generic download.  I will be updating my vehicle shortly.  Won't be able to report the update to Ford unless there is some strange procedure to do it, but it is what it is.

Edited by Russael

Finally got tired of waiting.  I downloaded the file on the Hybrid forum and it is identical to the Focus files, right down to the byte, so it seems to be a completely generic download and should work with anything.  I will be updating my vehicle shortly.  Won't be able to report the update to Ford unless there is some strange procedure to do it, but it is what it is.

I was able to report it after about 6 attempts.  I think I had to use IE to get it to work.

I finally solved my texting issue.  I wound up having to change my SMS program.  I was using Hangouts this whole time and it did work, up until Google did the 5.1 update which had a Hangouts update in it too.  I noticed there was a new SMS program in Android 6.0 called Messenger, and after doing a touch of looking around, it turns out Google prefers the use of that app for texting vs hangouts.  So, I switched my SMS to Messenger and tested it.  Lo and behold, the car now sees the notifications and will read back my messages again.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it still shows up as up to date with v3.6.2.  Maybe just will take a while longer to roll this update out to all of the vehicles through the syncmyride site?

Your SYNC is up-to-date!

Now, you're running the fastest, simplest and best version of SYNC

Same here, still showing 3.6.2 as up to date also... considering trying to update with the hybrid copy. Will wait a week to see if I get a reply from the private message to Ford.

The reply that I got was to take the car to my dealer to have the update installed.  Sorry but I'm not interested in wasting 4 hours of my life sitting in their waiting room while they figure out how to do it.  I downloaded the file that was posted on the hybrid forum, I think, and installed it myself.  I did the report upload after the install and Ford Owner now shows my car at 3.8.

I also did the update, but I wiped the USB key before I realized I needed to report the upload.  Is there a way to generate the XML file again that needs to be uploaded?

Somewhere in the Sync section of Ford Owner is a status checker tool that will generate the status upload file to report the car's current status.