Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Calling all CA residents...question for you...

HotLap

Just curious, lately I have seen the HOV stickers that are white rather than the green, are these just older stickers or do they allow different HOV lane privileges?  Also, I recently read that the State was going to instruct the Toll Road operators to allow green sticker cars access to the tool roads without fee...does that sound familiar?

The white stickers are for Zero Emission vehicles, so pure electric vehicles like the Tesla would qualify for the white stickers.  The green stickers are for Partial Zero Emission vehicles, like the Energi, Volt and Plug in Prius.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

As for free toll, I have not read anything that said this is in the works.  I know one does not receive a discounted toll if you have the green stickers.  Only if you have another occupant in your vehicle does it allow for discounted tolls in the HOV lane with the green sticker.  Only vehicles with white stickers receive discounted tolls at the moment, but you have to stop at a booth that is staffed for verification.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose??  

http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/about/faq_hybrid.shtml

Also, the Golden Gate Bridge is different since it is not operated by Caltrans so they have their own rules.

http://goldengatebridge.org/tolls_traffic/toll_rates.php

Eric, thanks for the detailed explanation, really appreciate that!  Since my original post I've now seen orange HOV stickers...I'll see if I can dig up more on the Green Sticker/Toll Access mention I read a few weeks back...said the Gov was considering asking the Toll Operators to allow this but I may have misread it.

Eric, thanks for the detailed explanation, really appreciate that!  Since my original post I've now seen orange HOV stickers...I'll see if I can dig up more on the Green Sticker/Toll Access mention I read a few weeks back...said the Gov was considering asking the Toll Operators to allow this but I may have misread it.

Orange or just faded yellow? The yellow ones were the originals, mostly used on the Prius.

EDIT: There is also one for CNG, I'm not sure of the color of that one, although I think it may also be white.

Edited by stevedebi

As for free toll, I have not read anything that said this is in the works.  I know one does not receive a discounted toll if you have the green stickers.  Only if you have another occupant in your vehicle does it allow for discounted tolls in the HOV lane with the green sticker.  Only vehicles with white stickers receive discounted tolls at the moment, but you have to stop at a booth that is staffed for verification.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose??  

The green sticker allows us to  use the carpool lanes.  Crossing the bridge you have to have your FastTrac device on the dash and that gets us $2.50 tolls rather than the $5 tolls.  For the Express Lanes, you have to keep your FastTrac in its mylar bag and then you can use the express lanes for free.  (This is the instructions I got from FastTrac when I called for clarification).

The green sticker allows us to  use the carpool lanes.  Crossing the bridge you have to have your FastTrac device on the dash and that gets us $2.50 tolls rather than the $5 tolls.  For the Express Lanes, you have to keep your FastTrac in its mylar bag and then you can use the express lanes for free.  (This is the instructions I got from FastTrac when I called for clarification).

That is correct. I have done this many times on the Dumbarton Bridge and Bay Bridge. Note, though, that the $2.50 reduced toll is only valid during carpool hours, i.e. Mon-Fri 7-10am and 3-7pm, and you have to use the carpool lane.

Edited by Energitic