Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Check Engine Light, dealership service

FourAgreements

This'll be kinda random and, while I know I could solve most of this with a few calls, I'm also fishing for any related information from all of you who are smarter, and have more experience with this car, than me, so I figured I'd post here. 

I have 3,900 miles on my 2014 FFET that I bought new in August, and my check engine light came on (solid) and is staying on.  I haven't attempted to clear it by disconnecting the battery or anything.  At the time of the purchase I also bought one of those Flood Ford extended service plans, and I bought the one which is supposed to cover just about everything on the car and includes a loaner at drop-off time.  My questions are like this:

1.  Can I expect for my FFET to be serviced by _any_ Ford dealer?  Or am I required to take the vehicle to an "electric certified" dealer?  (I have the former in my town; the latter, I'd have to drive about 40 miles.)  I had to travel well out-of-state to buy my car, so taking it to the dealer who sold me the car, isn't an option.

2.  I read something about a software update that might address some false warnings.  Would this potentially still apply to my 2014 bought very late in the model year?

3.  Anyone else have the CEL go off this early into their ownership (3900 miles)?

Would appreciate any feedback or related comments.

1.  Can I expect for my FFET to be serviced by _any_ Ford dealer?  Or am I required to take the vehicleicon1.png to an "electric certified" dealer?  (I have the former in my town; the latter, I'd have to drive about 40 miles.)  I had to travel well out-of-state to buy my car, so taking it to the dealer who sold me the car, isn't an option.

A non-certified dealer may look at it, if only to look up the code that has been generated... but they may not want to or be able to... you are probably gonna have to go to the EV-certified dealer.

2.  I read something about a software update that might address some false warnings.  Would this potentially still apply to my 2014 bought very late in the model year?

The 14E02 software update recall is to do a software update so that the CEL will come on when a certain emissions condition is present, rather than if one was already coming on.  There are several other TSBs for the CEL with various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), but the dealer would need to read the code unless you go to a place like Autozone who will read it for free for you.

3.  Anyone else have the CEL go off this early into their ownership (3900 miles)?

Mine did at 10k miles, the fan for the HVB in the back gave a trouble code where the remedy noted in Ford's system was to replace the fan, which they did and now at 31k it's been fine.

1. You should probably take the Energi to the EV certified dealer. To become certified they must have at least one technician who has received special training from Ford about the EVs.

Same as what Jeff said.

We had the CEL come on with less than 1000 miles due to a bad purge solenoid. Running a VHR with the light on indicated that it was an issue with the evaporative emissions system. Running a VHR might help you narrow down what the issue is.

I have 3,900 miles on my 2014 FFET that I bought new in August, and my check engine light came on (solid) and is staying on.  I haven't attempted to clear it by disconnecting the battery or anything.  At the time of the purchase I also bought one of those Flood Ford extended service plans, and I bought the one which is supposed to cover just about everything on the car and includes a loaner at drop-off time.  My questions are like this:

1.  Can I expect for my FFET to be serviced by _any_ Ford dealer?  Or am I required to take the vehicle to an "electric certified" dealer?  (I have the former in my town; the latter, I'd have to drive about 40 miles.)  I had to travel well out-of-state to buy my car, so taking it to the dealer who sold me the car, isn't an option.

Would appreciate any feedback or related comments.

Here to help, FourAgreements! :)

While any dealer is able to service your Fusion Energi, a Certified Electric Vehicle dealer may be best able to diagnose any concern. Send me a PM with your name, best contact number, VIN, and which dealer you decide on; I'll check my resources. 

Rachel