Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Navigation Map Update Letter From Ford

murphy

I just received a letter in a plain envelope with a return address of a post office box in Orem, Utah. 

Inside was a letter on a Ford letterhead that started out:

HANDS on the wheel.  EYES on the road.  IT'S ALL on the line.  We want to help you drive safely.

It's an advertisement for a new map for my navigation system for only $149 with free shipping if I order by December 31, 2014.

There is a link in the letter that goes to a pdf file that shows how to determine your current map status.

I went to the link and found they are selling the A5 navigation card that I bought several months ago for $50.  It contains the same map as the A4 card.  I have no idea if there are new POIs because I never use them.

Pay particular attention to POI counts on the back of the letter.  The count went down for every category except for ATMs and Convenience Stores.  So for the most part they are removing POIs and charging $149 to do it.

My Garmin provides map updates several times a year for FREE and it cost far less than the navigation system in the car did.

Thanks for posting this. I use the onboard NAV system a lot (though I have a portable GPS as well, but it's not voice controlled). How can I tell what card I currently have (A4, A5)? This A5 deal doesn't sound like such a good one (unless it more accurately reflects what's in the real world).

Pop the card out of the SD slot in the center console.  If it's an A4 it will have a big A4 on it.

I got my A5 from eBay for $50.

Murphy:

Since you have the A4 and A5 cards, can you look at the files on them and compare, see dates and sizes and such, maybe post that info here?

-=>Raja.

There are over 28,000 files on the card.  I have no way to match that many files.  My only guide is that my house was built in 1957 and both cards place my house at a totally incorrect location.  If I go to here.com and search for my house it puts it in the correct location.  The map on the cards does not contain their latest map data.

• 3 weeks later...

My response to the letter offering me a map update for $150 on a system I paid $795 for was to send an e-mail to Ford indicating that I bought a Garmin nuvi 2797 with Lifetime Maps & Traffic for less than $270 and will NEVER AGAIN buy a navigation system as part of my car.  With my Garmin I map updates at least 3 times a year, bettor POIs and more up to date maps.  Also, I was told by my salesman (since retired) that the map updates were free as long as the car was under warranty.  I have not had the car back to the dealer to argue the free updates yet, but I will when it hits the 10K miles mark.

Hey everyone, 

You may have heard me touch base on this topic before, but I thought it would be good to jump in anyway. When an update becomes available for the software in the MyFord Touch system, you will be prompted to update the software from our website at: www.Support.Ford.com which does not have a cost associated with it. 

Map updates for the navigation system are handled through our software partner named HERE. To check for available map updates, go to: www.Navigation.com and enter in the details about your vehicle. The website will list the current pricing information as well. If you have any questions about purchasing an update from them, feel free to reach out to HERE at: 1-888-628-6277

Kim

I bought the GPS system with the knowledge that the system would be dated before I drove it off the lot.... just like the convenience of an integrated system. It is odd though, given the prevalence of smart phones and and how this has impacted the portable navigation systems that there has not been more of an impact for the cars... at least in the update department.

TomTom and Garmin can provide quarterly updates either covered in the cost of the device or around $100 for a lifetime subscription and the 3rd parties who support the in car navigation systems can not seem to even put roads that have been there for a year or longer on the maps. And if what Murphy is stating about releasing a new version with no updates is right... well that seems deceptive and shameful. Also a business model that is not sustainable. 

Really looking forward to the next version of infotainment in the car like Apple CarPlay  http://www.macworld.com/article/2843793/72-hours-with-carplay-test-driving-the-pioneer-avic-8000nex.html

• 6 months later...

I received my generic looking envelope from Orem, UT today about the latest map update for the Navigation System.  Still $149 and the website says an update is available, version A6 and the purchase price is $149.

It is absolutely insane that Ford charges that much for an update.  Oh, but I can get free shipping if I order it by July 31st.  Seriously?

For the rare time that I have tried to find something using an older nav card in my Edge and it wasn't found, there was a simple solution.  I just used one of the free "Service" calls and did a "Business" search.  If the location couldn't be found doing that, then I just asked for an operator.  Never had something that couldn't be found. 

Once they or the system did find the business, I had the option to have them download the information and directions directly to the car.  I believe you get 20 operator assisted calls per year, but they are carried over if you don't use them.  I was at 54 or so when I traded the Edge in for the C-Max.  Those unused operator calls are now on my C-Max account.

The other "Service" calls doing a business search are unlimited.

I got that letter today as well, right into the recycle bin. 

Looks like its $135 on amazon  http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Canada-Navigation-Explorer-Fm5t-19h449-aa/dp/B00V392V4A

but it is going to have to drop down quite a bit more before I will consider. Probably wait until A7 comes out and buy someone's A6. 

I think it is telling that there is no hint on the outside of the envelope to indicate who it is from.  My Energi is an around town car.  I don't use it for long trips anymore.  I've been here for 38 years so I don't need a map.  The highway at the end of my street was widened around 6 years ago.  The normal speed limit is 45.  During the widening project the speed limit was 30.  Both the A4 and A5 card still report it as 30.  I tried to report the error but that was ignored.

Sync destinations is a nice tool for locating a destination that is not on your nav card.  My uncle's home was brand new and not in my navigation system.  In that particular case (before I got sync destinations) I just used Mapquest to locate it, did a send to car with sync, downloaded the destination and voila, the car knew where it was at that point.  Go figure.

I received my generic looking envelope from Orem, UT today about the latest map update for the Navigation System.  Still $149 and the website says an update is available, version A6 and the purchase price is $149.

It is absolutely insane that Ford charges that much for an update.  Oh, but I can get free shipping if I order it by July 31st.  Seriously?

I got my A6 card for about 85 bucks on Ebay a couple of months ago. Works fine.

According to the demo on SYNC 3 Apple Car Play and Android Auto will be supported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLJDJPkOY2w

Well, if I really want to, I have found that I can play the Google Maps audio over the car speakers, while using the phone for the screen (but the audio prompts are really enough to navigate by).

I really thought we would start seeing phone nav on the main screen by now with Apple Car Play being announced a couple years back... but it has been slow to roll out.  It is only a matter of time though.

True. There is an equivalent for Android too (forgot the name though). And the phone-based maps are far superior to most car navigation systems when it comes to search capabilities. However, the one drawback is that the phone still needs to be plugged in with a cable since Bluetooth is not fast enough to mirror the screen. Since you can't leave a phone visible in a parked car these days, the constant plugging/unplugging can be a bit annoying unless you have a custom cradle for the phone.

Back to topic: Any experiences with the A6 update yet? I'm currently on A5 and was planning to skip this update unless it has more significant changes than from A4 to A5 ...

Edited by Energitic

Back to topic: Any experiences with the A6 update yet? I'm currently on A5 and was planning to skip this update unless it has more significant changes than from A4 to A5 ...

I had the A3 and A4 in my 2013 Edge.  The A4 was a Ford free upgrade when the SYNC had a big update and the cars  with factory navigation were updated.  Something about the old A3 card wouldn't work with the upgrade.

My 2015 C-Max came with the A6 card.  The biggest difference I have noticed is that the posted speed limits do not seem to appear on the screen of the navigation or the right hand screen on the dash as often as it did in the Edge.  Perhaps for some reason less speed limit information on the card? 

I will preface my statement with the fact that I am new to this area of the country and didn't drive the Edge in as many places as I have the C-Max.  Perhaps the Edge would not have displayed a lot of those speed limit postings, but I am talking well traveled roads here that the A6 is not showing the speed limit.