Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Takata Airbags

Hardp

I tried all day but the URL in my local newspaper was no good. When I clicked on something where I'd put in my VIN, it said the page was no good. But I kept trying different things and unfortunately it eventually came up with 3 different recalls for my 2013 FFE. Of course the descriptions must have been written by attorneys, but one sure sounds like the air bag problem. Another appears to be about the power train. I have received no notices of recall in the mail so I'm sure if I call the dealer, he will tell me to wait until I get the recall notice. 'Sure hope I don't have a wreck before then! I'd almost rather have the airbag not deploy at all than explode with sharp metal pieces that can hit one in the throat. People have died from this problem. 

By the way, everyone, try searching beginning with www.safercar.gov first. That's where I was finally able to find a link that let me put in my VIN #. 

I would appreciate any feedback on these recalls. Thanks.

The airbag problem is most severe in high humidity areas.  The repairs will be done there (Florida, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands etc) first.  It's probably not a problem at all in AZ.  The power train problem is to meet emission requirements, it's nothing to worry about.  The restraints controller problem is the 850,000 car recall.  The recall notices will go out after they manufacture enough parts to do the recall.

I'm sure we may hear of more and more vehicles that are affected by defective Takata airbags.  This is the article that I read which does not mention Ford vehicles....yet!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/10/20/airbag-defect-spurs-recall-of-4-7-million-vehicles/

Go to this site and you will see Ford listed.  I downloaded the pdf and the document mentions 2005 through 2007 Ford Mustangs, 2005 through 2006 Ford GTs, and 2004 Ford Rangers.  Humidity may be a factor so vehicles registered or originally sold in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/NHTSA-statement-on-takata-air-bags

Fingers crossed the list doesn't grow!

I took a 2nd look at the results I got when I put my VIN # in on safercar and I don't think the airbag problem is one of the recalls for my car ... yet. But the language they use is so confusing. 

The 1st recall mentions "restraints control module" and "the deployable restraint systems and other systems that use inertial data from the RCM may not function as intended, increasing the risk of injury." Good grief! If the recall concerns the seat belt, why can't they just say that for the benefit of the consumer who may not have a degree from MIT. And if it's the air bag - why can't they just say so?!? Sheesh. 

I can understand them using technical "shop talk" for the mechanics, but they know that these recall notices are going to be read by the consumer. 

That being said, the whole process whereby the car manufacturer notifies the consumer about recalls is getting better. I appreciate being told something - even if I may not understand it. 

Anyone know if Energi Fusions have Takata airbags that explode? Ford is one of the listed companies.

I tried all day but the URL in my local newspaper was no good. ...

The airbag problem is most severe in high humidity areas.  The repairs will be done there (Florida, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands etc) first.  ...

The article on The Car Connection does not include the Fusion. The Takata issue seems to be mostly older cars from the mid-2000s.

I'm sure we may hear of more and more vehicles that are affected by defective Takata airbags.  ...

I don't think this is a problem for cars after about 2008. ...

Hey everybody!

Fusions are not affected by this recall. :) 

You can verify any recalls on your vehicle on Ford Owner.

Rachel