Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Replacement Battery?

Dag

It might be pointless with the great warranty on the HVB - but is there a replacement aftermarket battery that might give us - 50 miles or so per charge?

In 2-3 years if the HVB fails do you think technology will provide a longer range?

The computers would have to be reprogrammed as well, to account for the larger capacity.

Do not think that that the market is large enough yet to account for 3rd party production yet. Can not even get a trunk liner for the car because of the limited production of these cars at the moment. Hopefully this changes as people discover how nice the PHEV is.

It seems that we are on the brink of another battery chemistry break through, if no third parties pop up hopefully the major brands (Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc) offer the replacement parts in the future with the new tech -- which should yield the 50 miles or better that you are looking for.

While a nice thought, that the manufacture will provide the updates necessary to improve existing cars as new technology is released, I highly doubt that will happen. Why make their old cars better, when they can just sell you a new one? Can you imagine "Ford, now offering new Ecoboost 1.6l motors to retrofit first gen Focus's so they can get 40mpg"

As for 3rd party, there will need to be a LOT more Energi's sold before that happens. Like 10x current sales volume for 2-3 more years. Otherwise there would be no business justification to do it.

Rexracer, I agree that they will not do it out of the kindness of their heart but hopefully this is where small production runs might work in our favor. If they keep the parts close enough to the same design it would be in their best interest to make the replacement parts out of the same materials as the new lines as it would give them additional quantity and hopefully improve their scale of economy. At least that is how I hope they will look at it!

I tend to believe that there will be an after market battery at some point but probably not for our 2013/14/15 models.  The Tesla Battery factory (Gigafactory) in Nevada will be at full capacity by 2020. It's not for solely making Tesla batteries, they will be making batteries for other vehicles as well.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have an idea of what a replacement battery might cost?

I leased my FFE, so it won't be a concern for this car, but I love it so much that I might be tempted to buy my next one... but I know that no battery will last forever, and what am I in for when it hits 84,000 miles and will no longer hold a charge?

Does anyone have an idea of what a replacement battery might cost?

I leased my FFE, so it won't be a concern for this car, but I love it so much that I might be tempted to buy my next one... but I know that no battery will last forever, and what am I in for when it hits 84,000 miles and will no longer hold a charge?

The HVB is warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles.  It's designed to last the life of the car.  The full capacity of the battery is not available for use.  It can never be fully charged or discharged.

I stand corrected! I stupidly believed my salesperson when she told me that the batteries had an 80,000 mile warranty. I just re-read my window sticker and see the 8 year / 100,000 mile mention. That makes me happy. That's something that Ford salespeople should probably get right... it's a great selling point!

I stand corrected! I stupidly believed my salesperson when she told me that the batteries had an 80,000 mile warranty. I just re-read my window sticker and see the 8 year / 100,000 mile mention. That makes me happy. That's something that Ford salespeople should probably get right... it's a great selling point!

For CARB states, it is 10 years, 150K.

• 2 weeks later...