Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2015 DRL - Which lights are used?

utsteve90

Greetings All,

I've just ordered a 2015 Energi and wanted to know from other 2015 owners exactly which front lamps are being used as the DRLs.  After searching the forum, I've seen reference to (with 2013, 2014) DRLs being dimmed headlamps and also front parking and/or turn lamps.  Thanks for your help, and am looking forward to driving a PHEV where the AC doesn't shut off when the engine does (2006 Ford Escape Hybrid) :)

Steve

Greetings All,

I've just ordered a 2015 Energi and wanted to know from other 2015 owners exactly which front lamps are being used as the DRLs.  After searching the forum, I've seen reference to (with 2013, 2014) DRLs being dimmed headlamps and also front parking and/or turn lamps.  Thanks for your help, and am looking forward to driving a PHEV where the AC doesn't shut off when the engine does (2006 Ford Escape Hybrid) :)

Steve

I'm driving a C-Max, and our 2014 cannot use the DRL (at the moment), but Ford always just runs the headlights at a lower power output.

Ford always just runs the headlights at a lower power output.

Sorry I'm a little confused. Do you mean Ford Fusion, or are you referencing your Ford C-Max?

On the Fusion, the auto headlamps do shut off when there is enough light. I thought it left them on originally, but they do shut off completely during the day. I assumed the Ford C-Max was the same way.

2015 Fusion Energi (sorry - since I was posting in the 2015 Fusion Energi forum, I neglected to specify).  The daytime running lights are user selectable this model year.  Not all Fords use the headlights at low power for DRL - my 2014 F-150 uses the front parking/turn lamps.  Thanks again. 

Someone with a Fusion (yes, I have the C-Max Energi) should check the owner manual. There is a section in there about DRL (at least in my manual).

2015 Fusion Energi (sorry - since I was posting in the 2015 Fusion Energi forum, I neglected to specify).  The daytime running lights are user selectable this model year.  Not all Fords use the headlights at low power for DRL - my 2014 F-150 uses the front parking/turn lamps.  Thanks again. 

That is unusual - in many states it is illegal to drive with the parking lights on. It is here in CA. Are you sure your F-150 doesn't have a separate light for DRL?

I have the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Owner's Manual and it doesn't specify which lamps are used.  I suspect that with the Fusion, it's the headlights (dimmed) used as DRL since they're halogen.  My F-150 has HID headlights, which cannot be used as daytime running lights as they work on a "Full Power or No Power" basis, so the front parking lamps/turn signal lamps are used as DRLs - my dealer activated them for me when I took delivery (no charge and happy to do it).  

Steve    

I'll have to DB check but I was pretty sure that on my 2015 energi Titanium the DRL uses the parking lights.  It's a small bulb in next to the high beam.  The low beam is in the projector lens.

I suspect that is what the manual means - it may be a separate bulb, but it is placed with the main lights, and looks like a dimmed headlight. If the bulb is in there with the high beam, it is part of the headlights.  I believe the parking lights are yellow?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks about like this.

There is a little bulb above the high-beam.  You can turn them off using the Left-hand steering wheel control if you wish.  I don't know why anyone would though, they make the car look sexy IMHO.  

If you look at my introduction post, you can see my car with both the projectors (low beams) and the DRLs lit on the innermost part of the headlamp assembly.  I'll take a picture next time I'm out and about with the DRLs on.

Edited by Rhynri

Thanks Rhynri - when you take your picture, leave the headlights off and (with a helper) put the car in reverse (safer if you're standing in front of the car).  The DRLs are only on when the headlights (and parking lamps) are off and with the car in Drive or Reverse.  Thanks for taking the picture.

Steve

Alright.  So took a few pictures.  Some were too bright, and the others had the ambers on.  See below.

Night Photo.

Day Photo.

Interesting. That's different from the 2013-2014s. They turned on the headlight bulb only. The 2015 DRLs use the inside light which lights up when you unlock the car.

Thanks Rhynri - just to confirm, the headlight switch was set to OFF and the car was in gear (Drive or Reverse).  It would appear to be a mid-year change as Cody's (Post #8) 2015 Energi Titanium uses the low beam projector dimmed.  There's definitely nothing coming out of Rhynri's projector housings in the photos.  Thanks again for taking the pictures.

Steve

I believe that is what is occurring.  I couldn't hear the pictures being taken, so I assume they were at the right time.  Although I think on my car if the switch is set to off, all lights are off.  

I read through my manual PDF, and it had this to say:

"When the daytime running lamps are switched on in the information display and you switch the ignition to the on position with the lighting control in the autolamps position, the daytime running lamps turn on whenever the headlamps are off. 

The other lighting control switch positions do not activate the daytime running lamps and can be used to temporarily override autolamp control.

When switched off in the information display, the daytime running lamps are off in all lighting control switch positions. "

This would indicate to me that we have been going about this wrong (as i've been turning the switch off).  The daytime picture must have been taken when I was flipping the switch to the off position (i took the night one myself).  And now I'm confused.  I'll check again tomorrow.

Edited by Rhynri

The lights in your pic look like the lights that come on when you unlock the car or open the doors to get out after driving. Try turning your car on, set the headlight switch to auto and then take pics. On some cars the DRLs aren't on when in Park so you may need to have an assistant help so that you can sit in the car with it in Drive or Reverse to take the pics. I don't know if anyone has yet identified DRL behavior when the car is  in Neutral.

I've read the 2015 Energi owner manual but obviously not well enough.  The statement about DRLs coming on only when in Autolamp position (when user configured to do so) kind of threw me for a loop.  On my 2014 F-150, the DRLs are not user configurable (dealer activated).  They come on anytime the headlights are not on, regardless of headlight switch position (Autolamp or OFF) and when in Drive (any gear) or Reverse.  They turn off when the transmission is in Neutral or Park.  Reading the Energi manual further, for non-user configurable DRLs, they behave more like my F-150 DRLs.  So, with user configurable DRLs, the OFF headlight switch position allows you the option to temporarily turn off the DRLs without having to go through the configuration menu. 

Steve