Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2015 DRL - Which lights are used?

utsteve90

VW's are stuck on, if the headlights aren't on - which is a manual, two position switch as of 2013.  If you have a Rosstech VAG-Com, like I do (It's for sale! :flirt: ) you can set the DRLs to any percentage you want. 

Not sure which VW you have; our 2014 Passat has four positions for the headlights - we leave ours on Auto. The DRL are always operating when the headlights are off.

So quick question - the parking light Type II (I believe) DRL's only come on when the car is not in park or neutral?  I just completed my bulb upgrades - drop-in HID kit and Philips W5W LED bulb for the parking lights and I wasn't sure if the reason I wasn't seeing the DRL's was related to them not turning on due to lower wattage (1W vs 5W) or because of the whole park/neutral thing.

Thanks for the info,

J Mo

Here's what I am experiencing - tell me what you guys know - or think...I have confirmed that my parking light type 2 drl's are switched on in the left dash console menu.

Like I said earlier - added a drop-in HID kit with 35w ballasts and CANBus adapters.  While changing those - I upgraded the halogen wedge style parking light bulbs with Philips LED W5W/194 wedge bulbs (difference here is 1w for LED vs 5w for Halogen)  I did not install the Philips LED resistor (but I have it and think this may be the culprit).

On AUTO - it seems like my HID low beams will come on, and once the outside light is bright enough - my light indicator on the dash goes out, but the HID's stay lit.  I do notice however, when I engage my turn signal - it appears that side HID goes out (and comes back on once turn is completed) - this leads me to the following conclusion:

The vehicle is sensing the incorrect load on the parking lights (1w only) and thus turning on the Low beam lights in their place to act as DRL's - which are then shut off when a turn signal is engaged.

Anyone know if this in fact is that case?  I know that a few years back Mercedes did this very thing when a light was out - it triggered another light on that cluster to function in that capacity - just wondering if Ford has now done the same.

I know it is easy enough for me to test myself with the old bulbs - but that means taking the bumper off again.

Thanks for any insight,

J Mo

Edited by Johnny Mo

On AUTO - it seems like my HID low beams will come on, and once the outside light is bright enough - my light indicator on the dash goes out, but the HID's stay lit.  I do notice however, when I engage my turn signal - it appears that side HID goes out (and comes back on once turn is completed) - this leads me to the following conclusion:

Thanks for any insight,

J Mo

Having the other lights go out when you make the turn (on the side that makes the turn) seems to be the desired behavior (to make the turn signal more visible).  I saw this on another Fusion as I was pulling into the dealer to pick mine up after I bought it.  I've seen this in other modern cars as well.  

The projectors are the DRLs as near as I can figure, so them being on (at less than full power, normally) would also seem to be the desired behavior.  I'm still trying to get a picture.  Been a busy week.