Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Upgraded suspension?

Cairo94507

I recently saw Fusion police cars in VA.  What kind of suspension do the police cars come with?  Is it a special handling package for the police cars?  I can not believe Bilstein, Koni or someone has not stepped up to address the aftermarket need for these cars to have better suspension.  My '14 FFET handles terribly.  It bounces like a 70's Cadillac going down the road and only has 6K miles on it.  I really want a nice set of coilovers for the car to firm it up and lower it about 1".  Come on somebody, step up to the plate and address this need for all of the Fusions on the road- PLEASE.

Thanks for posting the springs from Steeda.  I am familiar with them and wish they would get the ball rolling for a complete coil over system for the Fusions.  My fear is that by replacing just the springs with out upgrading the shocks the car would being to bounce after it prematurely wears the shocks.  That has been my experience in the past and the reason I prefer coil overs so I can adjust the damping and rebound.

Cairo, can't recall if you have already done so or not, but a huge improvement in driving and handling can be had by changing out the 17" balloons with a decent 19" rim and lower sidewall tire.  I just did this with a set of the 19" Fusion "H" spokes in black chrome.  Not only improve the looks (IMO) but drives much more precisely.  You can still tell though that the stock suspension is what I would term "light duty".  I'm kind of mixed on it as the FFE feels very nimble and light on it's feet, not like my 991 Carrera S which is a beast (handling wise) compared with the FFE...I wouldn't mind lowering the car about one inch though with a set of "slightly" stiffer springs...I don't really find the shocks to be inadequate at this point.  Good luck with this and I look forward to hearing about your solution when you do make a change.

You can test what "slightly" stiffer springs would feel like buy getting coil lock out bumpers from most any parts store.

e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-1201-Spring-Lox-Adjustable-Spring/dp/B00029K20C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414768705&sr=8-2&keywords=coil+spring+spacers

or

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-1601-Rubber-Spring-Booster/dp/B000AMBOFS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414768734&sr=8-3&keywords=coil+spring+spacers

or

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-8001-Twist-Front-Spacer/dp/B00029K21G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414768754&sr=8-4&keywords=coil+spring+spacers

effectively if you lock out a coil, you have increased the spring rate by the % of coils on the spring, i.e. our springs have 10 coils, you lock 1 of them out, you have increased the total spring rate by 10%. Of course this doesn't take progressive springs into account, but I have no idea what the FFE uses.

I have had no luck keeping these sorts of things in place long term, they always fall out after a day or two. But it would give you a sense of what you would be getting.

Yesterday I added a Steeda front strut brace and their rear sway bar.  They both made a difference for the better.  BTW, about 40 minutes start to finish total to install both.  Extremely easy.  Their rear sway bar is a very nice piece and a significant improvement over the stock rear bar.  I am thinking about calling and speaking with Steeda re their springs.  I would like to lower the car about 1" maximum to clean up the wheel/fender gap.  I already have the 19" H spoke wheels and they made a pretty nice difference in ride and handling too.  Why doesn't someone make a coilover setup for our cars?

• 1 month later...

Cairo, nice work and I'm very interested in your suspension changes.  So the higher quality anti-roll bars helped reduce body roll?  Those in concert with a 1" lower and stiffer spring would be a great improvement.  I'm not looking to make mine harsh riding at all but a bit firmer and 1" lower would be nice!

Please keep us up to date and have a great Holiday Season!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, DaOne, sweet look!  The wheel well gap is perfect and with the 19's give the car an amazing Euro sedan look!  I like it and the springs you used were for the regular Ecoboost Fusion?

yes i know they say to go with the AWD version but the guy i got it them from had it on an Energi and it was the same level drop 

It does look good. I'm surprised more of the guys on here aren't doing that to improve efficiency. Less frontal profile = less drag.

i havent done it on my energi yet because of winter but soon as March rolls around i may order the same springs if no coilovers are available or a decent price on airbags