Ford Fusion Energi Forum

My Energi's Bluetooth is too good

REL

Hi REL,

I think what might be happening is that in your Fusion you might have your iPhone 4S paired as the 1st phone on your SYNC list or as the only phone paired.  So if your wife starts the car SYNC will pair with your 4S.  Or if there are no other discoverable devices nearby when your wife starts the car, SYNC will pair with your 4S.

If your wife has her phone paired with SYNC, if it is the first phone on that list (yours listed 2nd), and her Bluetooth is on, the Fusion should pair with her phone instead of your 4S.  But if your 4S is listed first, then SYNC will pair with your phone before it tries to pair with your wife's phone.  But if your wife has her Bluetooth turned off when she starts the Fusion SYNC will pair with your 4S.

On Labor Day, I bought a 2015 Energi. Love the car but I have a problem. My wife goes to the garage, starts the Fusion and begins to drive out to go shopping. If I am on my iPhone 4s inside my home, SYNC cuts off my call and transfers it to the speakers in the Fusion. Can Bluetooth's range be limited somehow?

There is no way to change the bluetooth range.  Most people want to increase the range not decrease it.  If you are not using bluetooth in the house it should be turned off since it is a significant load on the phone battery.  I have a Samsung phone and use TecTiles to easily turn bluetooth on ond off.

Hi REL,

I think what might be happening is that in your Fusion you might have your iPhone 4S paired as the 1st phone on your SYNC list or as the only phone paired.  So if your wife starts the car SYNC will pair with your 4S.  Or if there are no other discoverable devices nearby when your wife starts the car, SYNC will pair with your 4S.

If your wife has her phone paired with SYNC, if it is the first phone on that list (yours listed 2nd), and her Bluetooth is on, the Fusion should pair with her phone instead of your 4S.  But if your 4S is listed first, then SYNC will pair with your phone before it tries to pair with your wife's phone.  But if your wife has her Bluetooth turned off when she starts the Fusion SYNC will pair with your 4S.

You can choose which device is the "favorite". Sync will always try to connect to that device first and if it searches for awhile and cannot find it then it will move down the list. I'm not sure if the rest of the list is ordered by when a device was added or alphabetically.

My wife & I have my phone as the favorite in both cars because she doesn't want her phone connecting except when she's in the car alone. I always turn off my bluetooth unless I'm in the car. If we go somewhere together and I forget to turn my bluetooth on the car will search for my phone for about 30 seconds before connecting to her phone.

There is no way to change the bluetooth range.  Most people want to increase the range not decrease it.  If you are not using bluetooth in the house it should be turned off since it is a significant load on the phone battery.  I have a Samsung phone and use TecTiles to easily turn bluetooth on ond off.

With iOS 7+ you can swipe up from the bottom of the screen and turn bluetooth on & off easily in the control center. This is how I manage it on my phone.

If you have an iPhone (on iOS 8.0 for me, not sure if it works in 7) you can just tell Siri to "Turn Off BlueTooth" and she'll do it for you, no unlocking needed and no fingers if the phone is plugged in and "Hey Siri" is turned on.  I think Android's have similar functionality with google now, but my wife's Android is so flakey I haven't tested it on hers. (note: I happen to own an iPhone because of the fact it came out first, I have nothing against Androids)