Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Active Grill Shutter Question

garymkrieg

Do these shutters close at a given speed?  I read on the forum where someone stated that they close at 62 mph. If that is true and I usually drive with the cruise control set at 60-61, would I be better off setting the cruise at 62-63 mph to take advantage of the closed shutter aerodynamics? This my be splitting hairs but I thought I'd ask.

Gary

Do these shutters close at a given speed?  I read on the forum where someone stated that they close at 62 mph. If that is true and I usually drive with the cruise control set at 60-61, would I be better off setting the cruise at 62-63 mph to take advantage of the closed shutter aerodynamics? This my be splitting hairs but I thought I'd ask.

Gary

Shutters operate based on temps, not speed. There's a video on YouTube with a Ford Engineer stating that the grille shutters operate based on speed but this is incorrect.

Basically, yes. With Torque Pro or FORScan you can view the status in real-time.

So are they closed all the time unless it needs the cooling? It seems like it would be a combination of the 2, Open until its beneficial to the aerodynamics then they close, then they only open if the cooling system needs it.

• 2 months later...

Based on the above it would appear the shutters are in the closed position (default position) and only open if needed for cooling, not to split hairs, but it would seem to make sense that having a primary position of being closed would be due to aerodynamic reasons and the only reason they would open would be when needed to cool, which would theoretically be worse for the aerodynamics?  That and the fact that the Johnson valve is partially opened and interfaces with the thermodynamic coolant module that controls the hyperian valve when the spankel intake is open would increase the chances for aerodynamic stability during floxam maneuvers....just saying...

And NO, I'm not drinking beers as I type this, just feeling goofy as I think I'm the only one working on MLK day!

Edited by HotLap