Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Engine light

jetjam

My car hs 2100 miles on it, I've used 1 full tank of gas.  Two days ago, as I was driving on the first cold day we've had in SC, the ICE ran more than usual due to the heater setting.  Then the amber engine light came on and stayed on.  The car seemed to drive normally.  The manual says the light indicates a problem with the emission system.  Anyway, I took it to Ford and they've had it two days trying to figure out what the problem is.  Today they called saying they think it's a bad thermostat in the ICE.  After only 2000 miles the thermostat goes bad?   I find that hard to believe.  They didn't have the part in stock but hope to have it installed and back on the road by Friday.  We will see, but it sound pretty strange to me. 

Well that's never fun, but it's the reason vehicles come with warranties. Don't be surprised by the failure. You're more likely to have failures of parts in the first year than in the following couple of years after that due to "Infant Mortality":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Hope you enjoy your vehicle.

They finished working on it today.  The service rep said they replaced a thermostat, but the service reciept doesn't mention anything about replacing a thermostat.  It says they reprogramed the PCM in accordance with TSB 13-12-17

I looked up the TSB, it seems to be the exact problem I had. 

So who knows what they actually did.  But the light is out now and it drives fine so I'm happy. 

Here is the TSB from Ford

TSB 13-12-17

ENERGI - SERVICE ENGINE SOON LAMP AND DTC P2183

Publication Date: December 6, 2013

FORD: 2013 C-MAX
2014 Fusionicon1.png

ISSUE:

Some 2013 C-MAX Energi vehicles, and 2014 Fusion Energi vehicles built on or before 11/5/2013 may illuminate the Service Engineicon1.png Soon lamp accompanied by diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2183 in the powertrain control module (PCM).

ACTIONicon1.png:

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 87.05 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. At the Module Reprogramming screen in the IDS service tool, select Program PCM. By selecting PCM the update will be applied to the appropriate modules as required by the software update.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
131217A 2013 C-MAX And 2014 Fusionicon1.png Energi: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update Includes Time To Clear Codes After Repair (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS