Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Wifi Hot Spot

Hardp

You need to have one of those USB Dongles from your service provider for WiFi hotspot to work.  Unfortunately, you cannot simply activate a service and have it work with the vehicle.

I find it completely useless since nearly every phone has an available option for wifi hotspot.  What's the difference between having your phone do it vs having the car do it, besides adding another device on your plan (the dongle) to make the car do it?

I have a 2013 Titanium Energi Fusion.  Apparently, I can turn my phone into a Vehicle-based Hot Spot.  I check with Verizon and they told me that I need a HotSpot subscription with Ford.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Check out this thread on the hybrid forum for more discussion of this feature.

I'm trying to make my Fusion a "hot spot."  According to http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/bluetooth-tethering-sync-myford-touch I need to "choose a security type that is supported by the mobile device to be connected to the SYNC network: WEP, WPA or WPA2."

I have an Iphone 5.  I have no idea if that fits the description but when I searched for Wifi connections on my phone it recognized the Sync connection and asked for a password.  I tried the security keys for all three (WEP, WPA and WPA2) and couldn't join.

Any suggestions.  (And yes, I checked that I was entering the correct security key each time.)

thanks. 

I'm trying to make my Fusion a "hot spot."  According to http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/bluetooth-tethering-sync-myford-touch I need to "choose a security type that is supported by the mobile device to be connected to the SYNC network: WEP, WPA or WPA2."

I have an Iphone 5.  I have no idea if that fits the description but when I searched for Wifi connections on my phone it recognized the Sync connection and asked for a password.  I tried the security keys for all three (WEP, WPA and WPA2) and couldn't join.

Any suggestions.  (And yes, I checked that I was entering the correct security key each time.)

thanks. 

Hello Hardp, 

The vehicle does not produce a WiFi signal for your phone to connect to, but it does give you an opportunity to create a secure wireless network by using a USB broadband device, Bluetooth connection through your phone, or through a different WiFi hotspot. Check out this video to see how: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnMNrKpqUw&feature=youtu.be

Did you set up the server in the car with the password of your choice.  You can set up to connect to the car but no one has yet found (to my knowledge) a cell service dongle to allow the car to connect to the outside world.

Hey murphy, 

Compatibility information for USB broadband devices is very limited. We've tested the Sierra Wireless USB 598 (through Sprint) and Mercury USBConnect Mercury (through AT&T) and they both worked. These types of broadband devices are not as common as they used to be, but I certainly encourage you (and anyone else) to test it out if you already have one.  

Kim

I use T-Mobile.

The car can generate a WiFi signal for use by multiple devices in the car to talk to each other.  The car can also be connected to your home network, while it is at home.  That's of little use.  However some idiot limited the wireless client  key field to 10 characters in spite of the wireless specification mandating up to 63 characters for the wireless key.  Basically hardware that is apparently used on the production line and then becomes useless in real life.