Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fuel Indicator on Trip meter way low

CapnBry

I've had my Energi for 7 months now and was only on my third tank of gas when I went on a long drive this Thanksgiving break. The fuel usage in the trip odometer has always read low when I filled up the tank but I attributed that to the fact that I was usually using such a small amount of gas at a time that the rounding errors would add up a significant difference.

However, on the latest trip I was driving at least 200 miles in EV Later so the ICE was on all the time. I filled up completely and ran it down until the range had been at 0 for at least 10 miles. Both times the trip odometer reported 12.2-12.5 gallons used but filling the tank I'd put ~13.5 back in there.

Anyone else notice the trip odometer doesn't keep accurate track of the fuel usage? That means that the stated MPG would also be higher than accurate as well.

EDIT: For those wondering, the trip meter indicated an average of 39.4 MPG driving at 73 MPH with the A/C on most of the time. My calculations put it closer to 36.5 MPG.

Edited by CapnBry

I have never had a car accurately report how much fuel I have consumed. With the ability to overfill/underfil the tank, the exact starting amount is always going to vary.

Your results are not at all surprising to me.

An extreme example, I guy was bragging that he got 90mpg in his Civic HE, of course the next tank he got 17mpg...

I too can get 100 miles per gallon in my suburban! I just drive 100 miles, put 1 gallon in and say "look I got 100 mpg!"

I will say that the car says I have averaged 64.8mpg over the 12k miles I have had it, and fuelly reports close to the same thing. So in the long run it seems to be reasonably accurate.