Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2016 redesign

Eric4539

There are a few articles about the 2016 refresh of the Fusion.  A lot of camouflaged photos so I can't really tell what the front and rear will look like, but the center stack has a few more knobs now.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/2016-ford-fusion-spied-testing-new-styling.html

you can see the 2016 center stack in the Sync 3 video

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking its too soon for a substantial redesign of the Fusion yet (Ford generally works on a 5 to 6 year major redesign window).  I'd expect the minor interior changes that we have already seen and the Mondeo HID/LED headlamp units.  Probably new wheel choices and interior color combos, but I wouldn't expect any major body style changes...

• 4 months later...

Has anyone compiled the differences between the 2015 and 2016 Fusion Energi Titanium? (I couldn't find a relevant post in the search.) Does it have the Sync 3 instead of MyFord Touch? Anything else that would change my mind about buying a discounted 2015 instead of a full-price 2016? Perhaps the Adaptive Cruise Control is better, or the sound system better? Much appreciated for your collective advice!

Right, and I was responding to show that changes are coming for 2017, not 2016.

The 2016's center console has been completely changed from 2015. I drove a 2015 and 2016 Ford Energi Titanium today, and the 2015 had a touch-sensitive console while the 2016 had all buttons in a slightly different configuration.

This is 2015:

http://image.automotive.com/f/2015_ford_fusion-energi/80190303/center-console.jpg

This is 2016:

http://www.ford.com/ngbs-services/resources/ford/fusion/2016/gallery/photo/fsn16_pg_013_int_full.jpg

However, you were correct that MyFord Touch is still the infotainment system in the 2016 model year, not Sync 3.

Indeed.

Question for ya.  I noticed the 2016 description of the Sony audio system now says it comes with 1 subwoofer.  Did they place a dedicated sub in the trunk, or is it in the rear deck?

The 2013's came with 2 subs, but they're actually 6x9 speakers mounted in the deck.  I was wondering if it came with something a bit different.

Thanks Bear!  Our new car has 17 inch wheels where our 13 HyTi had 18's.  Do you know why the reduction in tire size?  It looks funny to me because I am used to the 18's filling up the wheel well more  ;)

The HyTi used to come standard with 18-inch tires. Starting in 2015 only 17-inch tires are available on the hybrid/Energi. The 18-inch tires had a much higher rolling resistance than the 17-inch tires. This is why FFH owners with the 18-inch tires get lower MPGs than FFH owners with 17-inch tires.

For EPA testing the manufacturer is required to test the tire/wheel combination that is most common. As long as Ford sold more than half of FFHs with 17-inch tires they could use the higher EPA MPG results that come from that tire. But, as the HyTi sold better than predicted and a lot of FFH SE buyers chose the SE Appearance Pkg or the optional 18-inch wheels my personal theory is that Ford was getting too close for comfort to selling more FFHs with 18-inch wheels than 17-inch wheels so they eliminated the 18-inch wheel option. The LRR Michelin tires that are standard on the 17-inch wheels are not available in the size of the tires on the FFH with 18-inch wheels.

The Energi has always only had the option of 17-inch wheels since it was introduced in 2013.

Edit: Also, I really like your signature! :hysterical: :lol:

Edited by Hybridbear

The HyTi used to come standard with 18-inch tires. Starting in 2015 only 17-inch tires are available on the hybrid/Energi. The 18-inch tires had a much higher rolling resistance than the 17-inch tires. This is why FFH owners with the 18-inch tires get lower MPGs than FFH owners with 17-inch tires.

For EPA testing the manufacturer is required to test the tire/wheel combination that is most common. As long as Ford sold more than half of FFHs with 17-inch tires they could use the higher EPA MPG results that come from that tire. But, as the HyTi sold better than predicted and a lot of FFH SE buyers chose the SE Appearance Pkg or the optional 18-inch wheels my personal theory is that Ford was getting too close for comfort to selling more FFHs with 18-inch wheels than 17-inch wheels so they eliminated the 18-inch wheel option. The LRR Michelin tires that are standard on the 17-inch wheels are not available in the size of the tires on the FFH with 18-inch wheels.

The Energi has always only had the option of 17-inch wheels since it was introduced in 2013.

Edit: Also, I really like your signature! :hysterical: :lol:

It is funny because it is so true LOL

That is interesting.  I always ran my 18's at 42 psi and I regularly got above 47 under ideal conditions (EPA conditions: 55 MPH, no wind, 50 to 70 *F and no HVAC) .... :/

• 2 weeks later...

... This is why FFH owners with the 18-inch tires get lower MPGs than FFH owners with 17-inch tires.

I beg to differ, HB...I am an FFH owner with 18" tires, and since not _all_ 18" tires get lower MPGs than 17" tires (see link below), a blanket statement like this can't really be made. :yahoo:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6055-mpg-happy-talk/page-92?do=findComment&comment=97420

I beg to differ, HB...I am an FFH owner with 18" tires, and since not _all_ 18" tires get lower MPGs than 17" tires (see link below), a blanket statement like this can't really be made. :yahoo:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6055-mpg-happy-talk/page-92?do=findComment&comment=97420

Maybe he meant stock 18" tires?

The 18 inch stock tires have more rolling resistance. That is a fact. That will lead to lower MPG than the stock 17 inch tires.