Ford Fusion Energi Forum

range of miles on full charge?

fusionenergiowner11

I just bought a new 2015 Fusion Energi and after a full charge I got went 15 miles.. The dealer said that after I travel 500 miles that this should show a difference and I will eventually get between 18 and 25 miles on a single charge.. This is really bothering me. Does anybody have a similar experience that you can share with me. Thanks!

I just bought a new 2015 Fusion Energi and after a full charge I got went 15 miles.. The dealer said that after I travel 500 miles that this should show a difference and I will eventually get between 18 and 25 miles on a single charge.. This is really bothering me. Does anybody have a similar experience that you can share with me. Thanks!

It is more likely the weather. In the cold, I've gone down to about 18 from 26 in my C-Max Energi. Your driving habits also make a big difference, as does the use of heater / AC, vs the seat heaters. Take a look at the cold weather threads around here.

18-20 should be about right for a normal driver in warmer weather.

Battery efficiency drops significantly in cold weather.  Using the heater (5 kW) makes it even worse.  When it gets below freezing I get half the range that I get in the summer.  If you have a 240 volt charger, preconditioning the cabin (GO Times) helps a little.  You can also start out in EV Later mode until the car is fully warmed up  and then switch to EV Now mode.

I live in southern CA. It's been in the lower 50s.. That shouldn't be too cold for a car. Glad I don't live in update NY. This isn't great though. The dealer claimed I won't get my actual mileage until I'd have driven 500 miles. I think he really meant leave me alone for a few weeks.

Your dealer may have been saying that once your have driven your Energi for a while (not sure what length of time or miles that is) your car "learns" your driving style and route.  Other than that he may have been saying "leave me alone for a few weeks."   :) 

I live in the Central Valley and the mornings are now in the 30's and I still show 25 or 26 miles in the battery (in the instrument cluster) every time I charge my Energi.  This surprised me since last winter I was seeing 17 or 18 miles every charge.

Are you actually looking at MFM EV miles after you've driven the car or are you referring to the indicator in your instrument cluster?

We really need to make a list of everything that can reduce the estimated range of the battery.

Some things I can remember offhand (which also affects traditional gasoline cars too)

• Under inflated Tires (I keep mine at 45PSI)
  • Cold Weather
  • Climate Usage
  • Not using Go Times (if you use Climate)
  • High speed driving (greater than 45MPH)
  • Low brake scores
  • Uphill driving
  • Driving into the wind
  • Hauling around additional items (junk in the trunk... but the size of our trunks REALLY limits that) :)
  • Hard acceleration (try to keep it at 2 bars up to around 40MPH)
  • Stop and Go travel (even though the car does regenerate energy, driving at a consistent speed is still more efficient)

That's all that comes to mind for now.  The car does have a driving coach built in.  That will help you figure out the best way to drive the car to maximize your battery range.

For me, I've seen ESTIMATED ranges of 32 miles at 80F, 24 miles at 40F, 20 miles at 20F, 10 miles at -10F.  Reality is pretty close too.  Climate will eat 5 - 7 miles off of your MFM estimated range.  However, I will say that I get an AVERAGE range (over the course of 1 year) of about 21 miles on the pack.  It sucks in the winter, smokes the EPA estimate in the summer.

That's all really helpful advice to me! Thanks for your comments. I had figured my Miles per charge by looking at that Blue energy thing on the dash and also by looking at the miles I drove.. Half of my time was on the freeway.. That could have been the issue.. that coupled with the fact that it's brand new.. and also not being careful to accel rather slowly all the time. Gotta work it a little more I guess !

If you are driving at 65 mph on the battery, that will discharge the battery in a hurry.  Use the battery on city streets until you reach the freeway on ramp and then switch to EV Later mode and operate in hybrid mode until you get off of the freeway.

Unless you're able to make the entire trip on battery. We often drive on the freeway for just a couple miles, it makes sense there to drive on the freeway on battery because we can make the entire trip on battery.

Battery efficiency drops significantly in cold weather.  Using the heater (5 kW) makes it even worse.  When it gets below freezing I get half the range that I get in the summer.  If you have a 240 volt charger, preconditioning the cabin (GO Times) helps a little.  You can also start out in EV Later mode until the car is fully warmed up  and then switch to EV Now mode.

The other major factor in increased cold weather energy consumption is the thickness of the transmission fluid. When it's cold it is thick which increases internal friction in the transmission, thus requiring more energy to drive the vehicle.