Ford Fusion Energi Forum

charger KwH usage

scottp

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a FFE or FFH, and here's the big question- In Massachusetts, gas is down and electric is up.  I do have PV panels on my house, which would cover a small amount of charging above and beyond our household use.  

My question was this, I know the battery pack in the FFE is 7.6 KwH, but what is the draw from the plug? is it also 7.6 KwH? or, is there loss due too ineffeciency?  If so, does anyone know how much you notice in your electric bill?  

I noticed that the dealer has no '14 FFHs, but a bunch of FFEs in stock, and as the '15s are coming out- I'm wondering if that might translate into a really good buy on the Energi.  

The maximum draw from the plug is 3.8 kW.  It takes about 2 hours and 5 minutes to charge a fully depleted battery.  Only about 5.5 kWh is available for EV mode.  The rest is reserved for the hybrid mode, discharge protection, and full charge protection.  The battery never goes to zero and it is never fully charged.  Those end points are very hard on a battery so they stay away from them to prevent shortening the life of the battery.  I have 10 kW of PV panels on my roof.  I haven't paid an electric bill since they were installed in September of 2013.

So does anyone know if the Federal Tax incentive is still active in 2015?

For the purchase of the car, yes it should be as Ford is still a long way from reaching 200k sales of qualifying vehicles.

For the charging equipment, that was alive in 2013 and I believe was revived in the last couple weeks of 2014 for that year, but I don'y think it's been repeated for 2015 -- may be, may not be, depends on the horse-trading that goes on in passing laws, etc.

For the charging equipment, that was alive in 2013 and I believe was revived in the last couple weeks of 2014 for that year, but I don'y think it's been repeated for 2015 -- may be, may not be, depends on the horse-trading that goes on in passing laws, etc.

Thanks for the info.  I was unaware the charging station credit was renewed for 2014.  Saved me $243.  Whoopee!

Thanks for the info.  I was unaware the charging station credit was renewed for 2014.  Saved me $243.  Whoopee!

The form hasn't been updated for 2014 yet, below is the link for all versions of the form - or just go to the forms & pubs section and search on '8911' and my guess is that a revised version will be posted within the next week or two (based on looking at revision date from last year) -- the instructions are on the later pages of the form.

http://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html?resultsPerPage=200&sortColumn=sortOrder&indexOfFirstRow=0&criteria=formNumber&value=8911&isDescending=false

The form hasn't been updated for 2014 yet, below is the link for all versions of the form - or just go to the forms & pubs section and search on '8911' and my guess is that a revised version will be posted within the next week or two (based on looking at revision date from last year) -- the instructions are on the later pages of the form.

http://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html?resultsPerPage=200&sortColumn=sortOrder&indexOfFirstRow=0&criteria=formNumber&value=8911&isDescending=false

There is a draft version here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8911--dft.pdf

It is already in my 2014 tax program but the form 8911 is not final yet.  As soon as the IRS updates their site the tax programs will make the form final.

Edited by JATR4

To answer your question scott, you're going to draw about 8kwh on your electric meter to recharge a fully drained pack.

You never use up 7.6kwh anyways (battery is not allowed to drain below about 15% charge level) and there are losses in charging hence using up 8kwh even if you only took out about 5.5-5.9kwh from driving out of the pack.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort

Hey all, first post here...

Jjust purchased a 2015 Energi Titanium lease and loving the car so far! To attempt answering the original question, I had one of those kw gauges from Home Depot lying around and I decided to see how much it registered during a full charge at approx 6 hours.

According to the gauge (which you plug in, then plug an appliance into it to get a reading) it came out to $0.57 or something like that. Needless to say I was quite pleased.

I believe my energy cost is $0.08/kwh. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff/Doug/JAT thanks for the info/links, I'm not very familiar with this "rebate" for the charging station, can I actually claim the full amount I paid for my Clipper Creek 240V charging station, and how about the electrician cost to wire it?

thx - b

Yes.  My cost of Clipper Creek and electrical installation was $811.  30% of that is $243--my credit.

I noticed that the dealer has no '14 FFHs, but a bunch of FFEs in stock, and as the '15s are coming out- I'm wondering if that might translate into a really good buy on the Energi.  

It doesn't look like anyone responded to this portion of your post.

I agree that now that we are in 2015, left over 2014s should be heavily discounted. I bought my 2013 in December of 2013 and received $10k off of MSRP before any tax credits. By January/February the same dealer had the last two 2013s at 11-12k off.

So if you are going to look at them, i would shoot for at least 10k off. I had 4-5 dealers laugh in my face when I said what I was willing to say, and tell me I was crazy and how that would never happen, but once you find the right dealer it is. Several other members here have reported the same discounts.

Jeff/Doug/JAT thanks for the info/links, I'm not very familiar with this "rebate" for the charging station, can I actually claim the full amount I paid for my Clipper Creek 240V charging station, and how about the electrician cost to wire it?

thx - b

Read this article for the answers to your questions: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095984_tax-breaks-back-for-electric-car-charging-stations-natural-gas-cars-through-end-of-year

• 2 weeks later...