Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EVSE charger with two 120v regular cords?

josefontao

Even if it could, it would need two fairly long cords, two outlets on different circuits near each other or higher amp circuits than usually found for 120v.  The 120v charge cord loads a 15amp circuit about 75%.  Twice that will pop even a 20 amps breaker.

For example, my entire garage is one 15 amp circuit.  For this to work one cord would need to stretch to my house or not park the vehicle in the garage. 

Edited by openair

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No EVSE will do that.  It would not pass UL inspection.  If you do it and set your house on fire your fire insurance will most likely be invalid. 

Have a proper circuit installed and be safe.

(Necropost!)

Why would it not pass UL inspection? I would think that if it had the ability to handle upstream faults, had current limiters on the inputs, etc. that it could be made to be safe.

I've certainly thought a lot about designing something like this that could use one or a pair of 120V circuits. I do believe it is technically possible, but it is not as easy as it might sound to the uninformed...

(Necropost!)

Why would it not pass UL inspection? I would think that if it had the ability to handle upstream faults, had current limiters on the inputs, etc. that it could be made to be safe.

I've certainly thought a lot about designing something like this that could use one or a pair of 120V circuits. I do believe it is technically possible, but it is not as easy as it might sound to the uninformed...

You would lose efficiency even if it could be made to happen. You might be getting 240v outpout, but the efficiency would be worse. The single L2 is more efficient than the single L1. Really, why would you want to do that? L2 chargers are getting reasonable in price.

You would lose efficiency even if it could be made to happen. You might be getting 240v outpout, but the efficiency would be worse. The single L2 is more efficient than the single L1. Really, why would you want to do that? L2 chargers are getting reasonable in price.

Just for the ability to charge more quickly when a 240V source is not available. It certainly wouldn't be an every-day solution or something I would use at home.

The efficiency between the 240V plug and the car wouldn't be impacted (and it's more efficient than the single L1), the only remaining efficiency losses would be those of the components used in the device.

Edited by flyingcheesehead

• 4 weeks later...

This would be a disaster. You have a 50% chance of bridging two 110VAC circuits that are opposite phase which is a leg to leg short circuit. Even if you used two cords from opposite phases that jumpered into a 240VAC SAE J1772 plug, it would be 240VAC 15A which is half the amperage that a J1772 connection expects for 240VAC.

Even if you found two circuits that are same phase, there is a possibility they are both on the same branch circuit.

What you are trying to do is techinically feasible.  It is not unsafe, and does not risk damage the car. It is not however available in the form of a single EVSE with 2 cords.  The closest you can come is to buy one of these Quick220 and use it with a low power portable 240v Level 2 EVSE like the TurboCord.
You will often find quicker, more accurate answers to questions like this in the Battery EV forums.  Since PHEV drivers have the gas engine at their disposal, they are not as highly motivated as BEV drivers to find creative charging solutions.

Have you used one of those quick220s?? Does the 15 amp version charge a fusion energi much faster than the charger that comes with it? How often do you find 2 120v outlets that are close enough yet are on separate circuits so can actually support the draw of the higher amp versions?

Edited by openair

I haven't actually used one, but I have read several accounts of people who have, or who have built something similar.  I can think of several places that I could find outlets on seperate circuits, but not too many "In the wild"

On a 15A unit, you would be wanting a 12A 240V Level 2 EVSE like the LCS-15.  Assuming the battery is not close to max temperature, this unit would charge an Energi vehicle more than twice as fast as the supplied Level 1  120V EVSE.  It would be exactly twice the power, but 240V charging is slightly more efficient than 120V. 

Since the charging rate would be about 2.8 kW, it is below the Energi's onboard charger rating of 3.3 kW.  Anything in excess of 3.3 kW offered by the EVSE cannot be used by the On-board charger and does not result in faster charging