Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Climate not running from plug

Lou Valencia

You have to use My Ford Mobile to precondition the car.  Create a GO time and set the desired temperature.  The car will then use electricity from the wall outlet to warm up the car.  You need a 240 V charger for this to work well.  It will begin preconditioning the car up to an hour before the scheduled GO time if it is really cold.  If it is not that cold, preconditioning starts about 15 minutes before the GO time. 

I have a C-Max rather than a Fusion but when I have my car plugged in and use the remote start (using the key fob) it does start drawing power from the EVSE to supplement the battery.

At max power the climate system will draw about 5kW. If you have a 240V EVSE about 3.3kW will come from the wall instead of the battery, for a 120V EVSE only about 1.4kW will come from the wall. In either case the battery will be drained some but more for 120V.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've notice when sitting in a car charging I couldn't get the heater (or seat heaters) to come on when I hit the on button unless I unplug, defeating the purpose. I had been hoping to sit in the car with the seat heaters on while the car charges.

Hi shaggy314,

I did some digging, and found the following in your Owner's Guide:

Do not do the following:

• Place heavy objects on the seat.

• Operate the seat heater if water or any other liquid is spilled on the seat. Allow the seat to dry thoroughly.

• Operate the heated seats unless the engine is running. Doing so can cause the battery to lose charge.

Meagan

• 3 weeks later...

Well there you go...

I wouldn't have thought the seat heaters would drain the battery on an L2 charger, but ok. Thanks for finding that for me.

-james

Hi shaggy314,

Do not do the following:

• Operate the seat heater if water or any other liquid is spilled on the seat. Allow the seat to dry thoroughly.

• Operate the heated seats unless the engine is running. Doing so can cause the battery to lose charge.

Meagan

Hi shaggy314,

Do not do the following:

Meagan

Well there you go...

I wouldn't have thought the seat heaters would drain the battery on an L2 charger, but ok. Thanks for finding that for me.

-james

If the DCDC converter isn't running the 12V battery would discharge. When the car is charging via the EVSE the DCDC converter is engaged.

Well there you go...

-james

You're welcome!

If the DCDC converter isn't running the 12V battery would discharge. When the car is charging via the EVSE the DCDC converter is engaged.

I'll be happy to do some more extensive digging on this, if you guys want. :)

Meagan

Just a minor point. The normal DCDC converter isn't running when charging. The charger in the car produces both high voltage for the traction battery and low voltage for the 12V battery. No idea why they did it that way.