Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Go Time Question

garymkrieg

It is unlikely the car will get toasty warm using GO times.  The maximum power available from the wall is 240 volts times 16 amps = 3840 watts.  The heater can draw up to about 5000 watts when using the battery to heat the car.  I don't know how much of the available AC power the car actually uses.  I should set up a test and see what it actually uses.

Where did I get 16 amps?  The recommended circuit is a 240 volt  20 amp circuit.  In the USA the continuous load on a circuit may not exceed 80% of the maximum rating.  80% of 20 amps is 16 amps.

Our car continues heating for a short period after the Go Time passes. We often actually get down to the car about 5 minutes after the Go Time and the heat is usually still running.

In my experience, the Go Time heat will keep running for 10 minutes after the set time, I have my scheduled times set for 10 minutes before I want to leave to try and use that additional time too.  Others can experiment and see how it goes for them, but 10 minutes extra is what it's normally been on ours.

I think it may depend on your Value Charge settings. I did a test and found that if your Go Time is during a $$$$ Value Charge time the car will still charge and preheat but the preconditioning stops right on the minute of the Go Time. If the Go Time is during a $ Value Charge time it will continue after the Go Time passes.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the front driver seat heat up using the Go Times?  Mine stays cold with the Go Times set.  The Ford dealer I recently visited could neither confirm nor deny - and sent me on my merry way. 

I also have the similar issue others have had with cabin not getting warm even with Go Times set at 85 Deg F and fan just barely blowing on low speed.   I have a 240V charger and use My Ford Mobile.  The Ford dealer could not tell me if the fan is supposed to blow on low speed or high speed to help warm the car.  This has been a frustrating experience going to the Dealer three times trying to fix the Go Times issues.

The seat heaters do not operate with Go Times, but they can with remote starting if you have that option enabled.

I've tried the 85 degree option once or twice but it doesn't seem to really do anything, so I always precondition for 72 (and when I run heat, I leave that at 72 also, so the car won't try to fuss with the set temperature too much).

There is an option for 'quiet start' which makes the car run the fan at low speeds, but I believe that only applies to remote starting.  It's under Settings -> Vehicle -> Remote Start -> Quiet Start.

Since you're in Ohio, you probably have similar temperatures to what I do.  When it's below freezing for me, the Go Times do take the chill off, but the car is definitely NOT reaching the set go time temperature... if I leave my car in EV Auto, the ICE will start before I've left the driveway.  The fan does run at full bore for me, up until it reaches the set temperature (which it does when it's a bit above freezing) and then it slows down.  I also use 240V.  I suggest using 72 degrees and see if that makes a difference. 

Edited by Russael

My go times don't work at all. I have them set, but the car doesn't do anything. Doesn't turn on the fan or warm the coolant or anything. I have been to 3 different dealers, including one today. The SA at two of them flat out told me, "We don't know anything about this system. We called Ford Tech and the gave us a website for you to go to and diagnose it yourself." Oh and the third (first one I went to actually) told me Ford wouldn't authorize them to even look at it, much less try to fix it. 
Talk about service.... I want them to work. I paid for a car that has this option, and it won't do anything. To me, that's not getting what I paid for. 

I have used the remote start instead for this reason. What I have found is that if you leave the car in EV Auto, it will start the engine pretty much regardless of any other settings, even if SKS is on and you have the defrost setting to off instead of auto. With the car in EV Now mode, the engine will not start but this morning the fan was on high, not low, and the car was nice and toasty when I got in it. 

There was a TSB issued for very early builds of the Fusion Energi for a software upgrade to correct the Go Time glitch.  Depending on what the build date was for his ride, he may actually still have that bug.  A dealership software update would fix it.  The symptom of no fan, no heat, no nothing indicates he has that glitch.

There was a TSB issued for very early builds of the Fusion Energi for a software upgrade to correct the Go Time glitch.  Depending on what the build date was for his ride, he may actually still have that bug.  A dealership software update would fix it.  The symptom of no fan, no heat, no nothing indicates he has that glitch.

That was TSB 13-5-28 which fixed mine when applied, and that TSB has since been superseded by 14-0096, he has an early build and I've sent him the link via PM (also discussing other issues) that goes to the TSB 14-0096 PDF,hopefully they can get it worked out.

Did you also tell him to give a shoutout to Megan?  I think she could have a great influence in getting that issue fixed too.

nascarnat, you may also want to send a PM to user ID FordService.  The person behind that account is Megan.  Send her your name, VIN, dealership, and mileage, and she'll loop in the regional customer service manager and make sure that issue is fixed.

My go times don't work at all. I have them set, but the car doesn't do anything. Doesn't turn on the fan or warm the coolant or anything. I have been to 3 different dealers, including one today. The SA at two of them flat out told me, "We don't know anything about this system. We called Ford Tech and the gave us a website for you to go to and diagnose it yourself." Oh and the third (first one I went to actually) told me Ford wouldn't authorize them to even look at it, much less try to fix it. 

Talk about service.... I want them to work. I paid for a car that has this option, and it won't do anything. To me, that's not getting what I paid for. 

I have used the remote start instead for this reason. What I have found is that if you leave the car in EV Auto, it will start the engine pretty much regardless of any other settings, even if SKS is on and you have the defrost setting to off instead of auto. With the car in EV Now mode, the engine will not start but this morning the fan was on high, not low, and the car was nice and toasty when I got in it. 

Hi nascarnat,

I want to loop in your customer service manager on this, who'll work with your dealer. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and preferred dealer name/location. Go ahead and send me the info on all 3 dealers you went to (and the dates), so I can add it to the notes.

Did you also tell him to give a shoutout to Megan?  I think she could have a great influence in getting that issue fixed too.

nascarnat, you may also want to send a PM to user ID FordService.  The person behind that account is Megan.  Send her your name, VIN, dealership, and mileage, and she'll loop in the regional customer service manager and make sure that issue is fixed.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

Thanks!

Meagan

• 2 weeks later...

The seat heaters do not operate with Go Times, but they can with remote starting if you have that option enabled.

I've tried the 85 degree option once or twice but it doesn't seem to really do anything, so I always precondition for 72 (and when I run heat, I leave that at 72 also, so the car won't try to fuss with the set temperature too much).

There is an option for 'quiet start' which makes the car run the fan at low speeds, but I believe that only applies to remote starting.  It's under Settings -> Vehicle -> Remote Start -> Quiet Start.

Since you're in Ohio, you probably have similar temperatures to what I do.  When it's below freezing for me, the Go Times do take the chill off, but the car is definitely NOT reaching the set go time temperature... if I leave my car in EV Auto, the ICE will start before I've left the driveway.  The fan does run at full bore for me, up until it reaches the set temperature (which it does when it's a bit above freezing) and then it slows down.  I also use 240V.  I suggest using 72 degrees and see if that makes a difference. 

I appreciate the feedback!  After trying the 72 deg setting for the last two weeks it does seem to help a little and the available range is back up to where it should be - I think the 85 Deg setting drained off half the charge trying to warm up the cabin!  But the fan only runs on low speed during the Go Times, and never high speed.  As suggested, I turned off quiet start, and the fan still only runs on slow speed.  Last year during the winter the fan would blow on high with the 85 deg setting and the cabin would get toasty.  However, not since last summer after taking in for service to have the transmission case sealed.  Using the Remote start feature, the fan will run on high speed and seat warmers turn on, but that starts up the engine, and being in the garage the fumes get into the house.  After the service, on a hot summer day, the cabin will not cool since the fan runs low speed.     

Edited by bwehry