Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Photos of HVB?

hankanddara

As a hopelessly curious geek, I would love to see what's taking up all that room under the carpet in the trunk (I'm not curious enough to try to open it myself!).  Does anyone have photos of the "HVB"?  Is it really just one battery?  I'm envisioning a large number of batteries wired in series/parallel, like you might see in a golf cart.

I actually find it quite interesting that the actual BATTERY is so small.  For that massive hump, just over 50% of that space is battery and the rest is the management system, HVB disconnect, charger, etc.  If they were able to hide that charger elsewhere and made that entire hump the battery, I bet we'd get pretty close to a 40 mile average range out of the car.

Here is what it looks like with the carpet removed.

attachicon.gifDSC_0429.JPG

It is a single assembly that can be removed with the proper equipment.

Good grief, I thought that my C-Max Energi battery eats up the space. I suppose it is similar to the Fusion, but since ours is a hatchback, it isn't as noticeable. It seems to use up a lot more room in the Fusion Energi. I suspect it is the same form factor; it weighs 300 lbs also.

I'd happily trade 2 gallons of gas tank space for more battery...

Good idea, but 2 gallons of gas is rather compact and that much extra battery would store a pretty minimal amount of kWh. It'd be nice if the next-gen Fusion is better designed to hold a larger HVB that gets a similar range to the new Volt.

Good idea, but 2 gallons of gas is rather compact and that much extra battery would store a pretty minimal amount of kWh. It'd be nice if the next-gen Fusion is better designed to hold a larger HVB that gets a similar range to the new Volt.

I dunno... holding up 2 gallons of water looks like a square foot at least and it'd drop gas range only 90 miles to 530; but yes LiAir for the whole battery would be better. There sadly isn't enough market for anyone to do it. This isn't Tesla.

Edited by shaggy314

I dunno... holding up 2 gallons of water looks like a square foot at least and it'd drop gas range only 90 miles to 530; but yes LiAir for the whole battery would be better. There sadly isn't enough market for anyone to do it. This isn't Tesla.

LiAir is not in production yet, still trying to solve issues. I think there is a huge market for new battery technology and we are on the brink of several new ideas. Whether it is changing the chemistry (sulfur, aluminum, etc), the design (solid state), or refining the current lithium ion to achieve better efficiency (this is the route Tesla is chasing) we have seen a massive investment in this space the past decade and the batteries are about to get a whole lot better.

Unfortunately this will probably not do anything for our current cars, but the future of the plug in seems to be bright. Over the next 2-5 years I think that Lithium Ion will remain dominant with increases in energy density each year. Just read about this one the other day.

However, someone will make that break through (my guess is solid state (LiAir)) and it will be a game changer. Probably will take at least 2 years from the time someone says they have a production ready solution before it gets deployed anywhere though. I see a lot of papers with promising research, do not see anyone claiming to have production ready solution... as Elon Musk says, if you have a better battery come talk to me with a price (translation, don't bring me power point slides -- not interesting in potential, he needs to sell cars). 

Edited by meyersnole