Ford Fusion Energi Forum

LOST ALL POWER TO MY FUSION ENERGI

oarabi1

Hello Fellow Fusion Energi Drivers.

This morning I woke up, took a shower, and then started my car from the MyFordMobile App as I normally do in the morning.  When I went out to my vehicle, it was still off, windows frosted, etc.  I pressed unlock on my key fob and nothing.  I tried to unlock my doors using the touch pad on the door and nothing.  I had absolutely no power to my vehicle.  This has happened to me before but normally I would just plug my charger back in, give it a minute, and it would be fine.  This time, nothing seemed to work.  I called roadside assistance and they came and showed me how to use my key to unlock my doors....then they proceeded to give me a jump.  He told me to leave it running for about 30 minutes, so I plugged it in and came inside.  5 minutes later I went outside and my car was off again and there was no power to it once again.  I'm now waiting for roadside assistance to come back and give me another boost.

So why is the reason for this happening?  My guess is that this was the absolute coldest weekend of the winter (I live in Michigan) and I haven't driven the car since Friday and the cold did something to affect my vehicle.

Any input from the forum would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently working from home until this gets resolved.

Thank you,

Omar 

If the 12 volt battery is dead the car will also be dead.  Without the 12 volts there is no way to pull in the relay that connects the HVB.

30 minutes of idling is no where near long enough to charge the battery.  Plus a wet cell battery that has gone completely dead has most likely been damaged.  Make sure that the dealer tests the battery.

Hello Fellow Fusion Energi Drivers.

This morning I woke up, took a shower, and then started my car from the MyFordMobile App as I normally do in the morning.  When I went out to my vehicle, it was still off, windows frosted, etc.  I pressed unlock on my key fob and nothing.  I tried to unlock my doors using the touch pad on the door and nothing.  I had absolutely no power to my vehicle.  This has happened to me before but normally I would just plug my charger back in, give it a minute, and it would be fine.  This time, nothing seemed to work.  I called roadside assistance and they came and showed me how to use my key to unlock my doors....then they proceeded to give me a jump.  He told me to leave it running for about 30 minutes, so I plugged it in and came inside.  5 minutes later I went outside and my car was off again and there was no power to it once again.  I'm now waiting for roadside assistance to come back and give me another boost.

So why is the reason for this happening?  My guess is that this was the absolute coldest weekend of the winter (I live in Michigan) and I haven't driven the car since Friday and the cold did something to affect my vehicle.

Any input from the forum would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently working from home until this gets resolved.

Thank you,

Omar 

HI Omar, 

I recommend heading to your dealer to have the battery tested. Once you have an appointment set up, please let me know and send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

This was a problem with the CMax Energi, when it first came out. It was a bunch of bad 12 vt. batteries, largely resolved by the time of the Fusion shipping. Once started, you should drive to a dealer.

I think it affected both the Energi and Hybrid C-Max. I've not had those issues with my 2014 model. And it did not affect all C-Max either - just some individual units. But enough to get noticed!

My 2013 Energi had to get the 12volt battery replaced at 17miles.

I had a portable battery jumper but left it in the trunk and there is no way to open the trunk unless you fold the backseat down and if you can fit your arm through the small hole and pull the cord to manually pop the trunk from the inside. Very difficult to do if not impossible.

You cant even unlock the other doors manually unless you open them from the inside.

Edited by seadiel

• 1 month later...

I would like to hear any update to these problems... I have a 2013 fusion energi titanium and it has completely shut down on me twice while parked for maybe 9 hours, once while plugged in the house... will replacing the 12volt fix this or not... I had it at the ford dealership for 3 days recently after being towed and they said there were no drains on the battery but not sure if they tested the battery itself!! any info would be appreciated thank you ... BTW its april and not cold now

Edited by ForrestC

There is a good chance one of your battery cooling fans may have a short in the wiring.

Well there are actually a lot of things it could be, as someone on the hybrid forum just encountered the same issue and the below fix was the culprit.  When my Energis go to finally get the RCMs replaced for 14S21, I'm going to ask them to inspect for this (hopefully it's already part of the procedure) as I think these are both located around the center console or similar.

SSM 44614 - 2013-2014 Fusion/MKZ - Instrument Panel Harness Chafe - Various HS1, HS3, or MSCAN DTCs
Some 2013-2014 Fusion and MKZs built on or before 3/18/2014 may exhibit multiple U-codes related to chafing of HS1-CAN, HS3-CAN, or MS-CAN. DTCs may include U0155, U0184, U0238, U0256, U0253, U0257, U0100, U0121, U0140, U0146, U0159, U016A, U0212, U0232, U0233, U023A, U0293, U0199, U0200, or U0208. Inspect around the edges of the DC/AC Inverter for chafing of the instrument panel harness. Refer to section 414-05 of the Workshop Manual for location and accesibility information for the DC/AC Inverter. Repair the harness as necessary and use foam tape fromthe Rotunda Squeak and Rattle Kit around the harness or the edge of the inverter to prevent further harness damage. Use causal part 14401 and appropriate wire repair labor ops from Section 10 of SLTS.

I would like to hear any update to these problems... I have a 2013 fusion energi titanium and it has completely shut down on me twice while parked for maybe 9 hours, once while plugged in the house... will replacing the 12volt fix this or not... I had it at the ford dealership for 3 days recently after being towed and they said there were no drains on the battery but not sure if they tested the battery itself!! any info would be appreciated thank you ... BTW its april and not cold now

Hi ForrestC,

I want to check out some additional assistance for this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My car has been out of commission since last week with the same symptoms -- no power.  I had the problem a few days earlier, but it spontaneously recovered.  After the first incident, I went to the dealer and, other than instructing me about how to enter the car with the hidden physical key, they indicated that they didn't see a problem.  I suspected the 12v battery because I got a message (on my phone) that there had been a battery fault. I called Ford Customer Care and got zero help from the Energi desk. I"m away from home and they told me that there was no certified electric dealership nearby. That turned out to be incorrect. They also told me that had not heard of this problem before (which, I guess, means that they don't read this forum). The car is now at a dealership and I"m awaiting their diagnosis.  One interesting symptom is that, in the days preceding the failure, I was aware of hearing of the rear cooling fan.  I'd not been aware of this before.  

I've been in touch with a manager at the Energi desk.  We'll see if they're able to help resolve the problem.

One interesting symptom is that, in the days preceding the failure, I was aware of hearing of the rear cooling fan.  I'd not been aware of this before.  

This was also the case with my car at 10k miles when a CEL came on (I heard fan running more than normal) and I took it in and the error code that the dealer pulled said there was an issue with the HVB fan and indicated replacement.  2 days later I had the new fan and now at 56k miles all has been fine.  However Mark had an issue early on with his Energi and the culprit turned out to be a wire in the trunk that had either gotten pinched or insulation worn on a corner/edge and that was causing the HVB to run all the time, and kept killing the 12V battery.  I think that issue may have been the same as the TSB that Russael references above, but not 100% sure.

My car has been out of commission since last week with the same symptoms -- no power.  I had the problem a few days earlier, but it spontaneously recovered.  After the first incident, I went to the dealer and, other than instructing me about how to enter the car with the hidden physical key, they indicated that they didn't see a problem.  I suspected the 12v battery because I got a message (on my phone) that there had been a battery fault. I called Ford Customer Care and got zero help from the Energi desk. I"m away from home and they told me that there was no certified electric dealership nearby. That turned out to be incorrect. They also told me that had not heard of this problem before (which, I guess, means that they don't read this forum). The car is now at a dealership and I"m awaiting their diagnosis.  One interesting symptom is that, in the days preceding the failure, I was aware of hearing of the rear cooling fan.  I'd not been aware of this before.  

I've been in touch with a manager at the Energi desk.  We'll see if they're able to help resolve the problem.

An update re: my problem:

The dealer replaced the battery nearly a week ago and-- but the car died again today.  I had asked them to check the HVB fan -- they said there were no unexplained power drains and that is was ok. But I continue to suspect that something having to do with the fan is at the root of the problem.

Quite frustrating.

• 9 months later...

The TCU is the "Telematics Control Unit". It is a computer with a cell phone modem which allows MyFord Mobile to work. It also stores some information like GO Times. The early C-Max Energi's had the same defective TCU's. Just got mine replaced last week.

Exactly -- see the below referenced TSB from 2015 about discharged 12V batteries (this TSB is only for Fusion Energi but I bet that is due to the picture of the battery cable and the procedure for checking it, so there's probably a similar TSB for Cmax Energi that addresses the same type issue with pics of battery cable in the Cmax body, if the cable also has been found to be a concern there), note on the bottom of page 2 that whether the 12V battery just needs a charge or needs to be replaced, every one of the courses of action includes replacing the TCU.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1248-collection-of-tsbs-related-to-energi/?p=19668

Edited by jeff_h

I would hope that the TCU replacements are because they are 2G units and AT&T 2G goes away at the end of this year.  Anyone know if the replacement units are 3G or LTE?

I don't think warranty replacements are 3G, but I have heard report that Ford has replacement 3G modems in the pipeline and they are replacing the modems in the Lincoln Models 1st

• 1 month later...

This 12 volt power issue has happened to me twice now with my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi during the three years I have owned the car.  The second time convinced me that it was not a fluke.  So I found the TSB 15-0028 mentioned here about the frayed wiring and replacing the TCU.  I called my Ford Service and they want the car all day to replicate the problem before they would take any action.  I told them it would probably be a long wait since it's only occurred twice in three years.  I asked the rep jokingly, should I wait till it happens again and have the car towed in? She said yes. If this is a known problem why can't I get the TCU replaced?  And who can I contact higher up the Ford food chain to get the TCU replaced?

This 12 volt power issue has happened to me twice now with my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi during the three years I have owned the car.  The second time convinced me that it was not a fluke.  So I found the TSB 15-0028 mentioned here about the frayed wiring and replacing the TCU.  I called my Ford Service and they want the car all day to replicate the problem before they would take any action.  I told them it would probably be a long wait since it's only occurred twice in three years.  I asked the rep jokingly, should I wait till it happens again and have the car towed in? She said yes. If this is a known problem why can't I get the TCU replaced?  And who can I contact higher up the Ford food chain to get the TCU replaced?

From what I have read from various other posts, the 2G service that these cars use will be discontinued by the end of 2016 (again that's just based on what others have posted), and if that is true then I wonder if the TCUs in all of these cars would have to replaced as part of that process anyway?

Added - I found an article about the end of 2G service... http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/03/business/la-fi-tn-att-2g-20120803

Edited by jeff_h