Ford Fusion Energi Forum

My "Energi Plug In" is a LEMON - BEWARE - CA LEMON LAW - revised

BlakeMastersEnergi

This is my first Ford ... came from a Plug in Prius. I could care less about hugging trees, I just want to ride in the CA carpool lane. From 0 to 20,0000 the Energi has been an awesome car, beating the Prius on most everything. ... (i now have 26k)

Then I started to get a "orange wrench" icon ... it's been in and out of the dealership so much that it has spent 4% of its life there. They change this and that, but can't seem to fix it. Sometimes the wrench is accompanied by the "check engine" light.

In between visits, the service guy said I could drive it with the light on ... while they wait for some part. That didn't work, as the car was 100% totally dead, twice. At least the forum taught me how to jump start the car, so I wasn't totally disabled.

I ordered the ESP, after seeing this car is a lemon ... thought it was kind of wierd to offer a 10 day rental for a car repair??? But now I see how they do it at Ford. My car has been at the dealership for 9 days today.

Hopefully, I get it back soon and its totally fixed! If not, I will be pursuing the California Lemon Law to get my money back. IT SHOULD BE A SLAM DUNK according to my attorney friend.

So, beware of any "orange wrenches" or "check engine" lights ... if you are getting them, then buckle your seatbelt, 'cause your in for a ride!

Edited by BlakeMastersEnergi

i did contact FORD Corporate relations to apply some leverage from above. They called me back a few days later and had a little tone like i was bothering them. They did call the dealership on my behalf. When they called me they had news I hadn't heard ... that I needed a new computer. When I talked to the service manager, it seems as they have another plug in messed up that corporate was also calling about. Mine still has no update.

Try calling Toyota/Lexus corporate sometime or AMX Platinum. They are super professional and actually want to help you (at least in my experience). Very wierd experience being in this "Ford family"...

i did contact FORD Corporate relations to apply some leverage from above. They called me back a few days later and had a little tone like i was bothering them. They did call the dealership on my behalf. When they called me they had news I hadn't heard ... that I needed a new computer. When I talked to the service manager, it seems as they have another plug in messed up that corporate was also calling about. Mine still has no update.

Try calling Toyota/Lexus corporate sometime or AMX Platinum. They are super professional and actually want to help you (at least in my experience). Very wierd experience being in this "Ford family"...

Hi BlakeMastersEnergi,

Do you have a case number from when you called in? Please send it (or your VIN) to me via PM, and I'll take a look.

Meagan

• 2 months later...

32,050 transmission out - CAR IS OFFICIALLY A <EDITED>

FIRST AND LAST FORD I will ever buy!!!

unfortunately, I need this stupid piece of <EDITED> for the green sticker to ride in the HOV !!!

Moderator: Please do not use obscene language even if it is abbreviated or masked

Edited by meyersnole

My bad ... over the course of many, many operations, they replaced - 02 sensor, stuff with the gas fill, stuff that controls the battery and charging AND the actual fairly new battery multiple times. That being said, what was the final solution (?) was replacing the main wiring harness that was kinked or shorted.

I almost think, they disabled all warning lights just to shut me up and keep me from coming back. The transmission went out without ANY warning lights. First it sounded like a whiney bitch, then a tank, but no warning light? Kinda weird, but given what I've been through I don't doubt anything.

This operation will take me out for about a week, nice!

Transmissions going out don't typically throw a check engine light, but they do have codes that the techs can scan still.

I'm about to pick my other (non-Ford) vehicle up from the dealership Monday because they just replaced the transmissoin again (the second one only lasted less than 4K miles).  I didn't throw any lights either time.

It does sound like you got a lemon, and it sucks... and it happens with every brand to a small percent of buyers.  Hopefully you're covered by the lemon laws and can get out from under it.  I certainly understand not wanting to get into the same brand again, but it's just as likely for any other car really.

32,050 transmission out - CAR IS OFFICIALLY A  <EDITED>

FIRST AND LAST FORD I will ever buy!!!

unfortunately, I need this stupid piece of <EDITED>  for the green sticker to ride in the HOV !!!  <Edited by Moderator>

I'll be happy to open up a new case for this. Please PM me your updated mileage, and verify your VIN, best daytime phone number, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Edited by meyersnole

THANK YOU Meagan! PM the info now ...

What I really would like is:

an email address where I can send a formal complaint and detailed story.

My situation is a little unique - my wife grew up just outside of Detroit and always had American cars. I being a salesman, always drove Toyota and Lexus. I sold a "plug-in" vehicle to convert over to Ford ... part of it was to pay a little more and support my American made stuff ... what a big mistake ... zero reliability ... what a waste ... I will start a Youtube channel and blog and whatever else I can to voice my displeasure.

My situation is a little unique - my wife grew up just outside of Detroit and always had American cars. I being a salesman, always drove Toyota and Lexus. I sold a "plug-in" vehicle to convert over to Ford ... part of it was to pay a little more and support my American made stuff ... what a big mistake ... zero reliability ... what a waste ... I will start a Youtube channel and blog and whatever else I can to voice my displeasure.

Do you have any idea how ignorant you sound?  Why would you post this on a site for enthusiasts who love their cars?

While some here might not be interested, I would be interested in reading more about the issues you've had. I can somewhat sympathize with what you're going through. Our first Fusion Hybrid had many issues and we got fed up with it after 11 months and we got rid of it. We replaced it with another Fusion which hasn't had any of the issues that the first one had.

What other plug-in did you have before the Fusion Energi?

While some here might not be interested, I would be interested in reading more about the issues you've had. I can somewhat sympathize with what you're going through. Our first Fusion Hybrid had many issues and we got fed up with it after 11 months and we got rid of it. We replaced it with another Fusion which hasn't had any of the issues that the first one had.

What other plug-in did you have before the Fusion Energi?

He mentioned it in his first post - a plug-in Prius.

I too am curious about the issues he's experiencing.  My ownership of cars has been limited to Ford, but I've never had any drastic problems that warranties didn't take care of.

My apologies for upsetting any "enthusiast"!

I too, was an enthusiast. Now that I have a $40,000 paper weight, forgive me if I am NOT so enthusiastic. My Energi has lived almost 10% of his life at the dealer.

There is a thing called google, and it leads potential new buyers to this site who are researching their next vehicle. I know, as I have been contacted by multiple people privately, so I know that I am not alone.

I had a Plug in Prius that the Ford beat in many ways (comfort, cooled seats, cool looking) ... sold it for $27,000 with 68,000 miles. The car wasn't my style, I just wanted to drive in the HOV. All the benefits of the FORD have been rendered useless for me, as vehicle reliability is #1 and something I haven't ever had to think about in the past. The PIP had zero issues.

I see you one data point (your car) and I have my one data point (my car). Mine has 27,000 as well, but with only routine issues I've also read about here. I don't think anyone said they weren't interested, just keep in mind we are trading information and not insults either way. Bad car, it really sounds like it and I hope Ford works to a resolution, bad company, not sure yet. Be sure to separate Ford from the independent-by-law dealer.

I am curious as to your battery life/charging. If you are primarily using it for the carpool lane, are you charging the battery or running 100% as a hybrid. I'd like to know the mileage if you are getting into the mid 40's or not.

My first car was a 1973 Ford Maverick and DESPITE owning that, I still bought this one after a Celica GT and Integra GS. I looked at the Prius as just too small, didn't like the Volt colors, and loved the Fusion.

Check the laws of your state, give Ford a reasonable offer of what you need to be happy, and see what they say. If it isn't close to what you want, then bring in a legal friend to see if everyone gets closer to satisfied. Ford wants to make money and happy customers help with that. Informing others of your plight and their reaction can also help with that.

"Be nice until it is time to not be nice."   <- best movie quote

Has Meagan been able to assist you?

Edited by shaggy314

I charge every night and usually get 18 - 19 miles of battery (and do over a 100 miles per day). I get around 40 mpg. Meagan hasn't helped ... yet ;)

My car will be in the shop another week, after already 1 week so far. What else is new. I guess the transmission had to come from Detroit.

I requested that my rental be a FORD, as I am used to the NAV stuff and they gave me a 2014 mustang convertible. Although I wanted to hate it, I gotta say, the car has really wow-ed me! It is too loud to use the phone since its convertible, but sure is fun on the weekend. Thing is a rocket ship!

I mentioned the earlier history, because I was going to get my wife a Lincoln MKX, but after the lousy experience I am having .... I am switching from the Porsche Macon (the other car in the running) back to the old trusty LEXUS. Funny thing with the LEXUS, after you drive it and beat it up, you can still sell them for good money! Weird, but not true for many other cars in my area. I know its the boring safe play, but my FORD experience has beat me down.

As far as trading insults, I will refrain form any opinions in future post and just stick to the facts. (FAT Fusion, you may care a little, 'cause we gotzz the same exact car!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 months to get back to me, just to say "get lost sucker"! Gotta love Ford. Going on 3rd transmission in 38K, absolutely pathetic! 

I ain't done yet! This guy was complaining for a while:

http://myfordfusionsucks.blogspot.com/2014_03_01_archive.html

then he shut up, abruptly ... telling me, they settled.

Oh, by the way, my heated seat stuck on high on a long ride, I had to pull off and put a damp towel on the drivers seat just to get home! Gotta say, that was paradise compared to all the other stuff that's gone wrong with this hunk of junk!

Why don't you just sell the car back to Ford and walk away at this point?  Keep in mind, they are not going to give you all of your money back - that's unreasonable, despite all the issues you've had.  I don't know what model you have, but a base SE Energi should get ~18k back in to your pocket from the dealer.  Take the hit, throw in the towel, and be done with it.

You mentioned getting the ESP, so you should still be under that warranty if you want to continue to deal with the car.

Try a different dealership if the one you've been going to is unable to resolve the problems.  Even though all dealerships should be consistent in their service, they're not.  Sometimes you'll get lucky and find the dealership that has that impossible to find "A" grade tech, who can fix anything blindfolded, but tons of techs would be rated a "C" (average).  You're in Cali... the state that sells the MOST hybrid/electric cars due to all the perks the state gives you guys.  You'd think everybody would be an expert... but if cars aren't coming back for repairs, there's no experience.  Your car seems to be exceptionally bad. :(

Why don't you just sell the car back to Ford and walk away at this point?  Keep in mind, they are not going to give you all of your money back - that's unreasonable, despite all the issues you've had.  I don't know what model you have, but a base SE Energi should get ~18k back in to your pocket from the dealer.  Take the hit, throw in the towel, and be done with it.

You mentioned getting the ESP, so you should still be under that warranty if you want to continue to deal with the car.

Try a different dealership if the one you've been going to is unable to resolve the problems.  Even though all dealerships should be consistent in their service, they're not.  Sometimes you'll get lucky and find the dealership that has that impossible to find "A" grade tech, who can fix anything blindfolded, but tons of techs would be rated a "C" (average).  You're in Cali... the state that sells the MOST hybrid/electric cars due to all the perks the state gives you guys.  You'd think everybody would be an expert... but if cars aren't coming back for repairs, there's no experience.  Your car seems to be exceptionally bad. :(

I agree, sell the car and find something else.

I get that you're frustrated but quite frankly you sound miserable to work with (even from the get go). If your attitude towards the car, and how you've referenced other people in this thread, are any indication of how you treat the staff at the dealership them I'm not surprised if they treat you worse than they might treat others.  In fact I would probably do as little as the law would allow me to do.