Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Battery Range Estimates

murphy

The temperature got into the 50s today.

Before I left on my usual Wednesday morning trip the battery was indicating 17 miles.

I decided to make the trip without using the heater.

The trip to my destination is 10.7 miles.

The trip home from my destination is 10.5 miles due to a slightly different route.

That adds up to 21.2 miles.

I made the entire trip on electric power.  The final 1/2 mile was on the hybrid portion of the battery but due to EV+ the engine did not start.

After I charged the battery it is now indicating 21 miles.

MFM indicates that I used 2.6 kWh on each leg of the trip for a total of 5.2 kWh.

The external meter indicated that I used 6.46 kWh to charge the battery using the L2 charger.

The hybrid portion was about as low as it can get without the engine starting so I assume that includes charging the hybrid portion also.

The numbers on the first leg were 136 MPGe, 94% brake score, and 79 driving score.

The numbers on the second leg were 132 MPGe, 91% brake score, and 78 driving score.

This was all local driving mostly at 35 mph with some 45 mph, 6 stop signs, and 31 traffic lights.

Mine has been saying 17 to 18 mile battery range since I got the car in January of this year.  I bring my 110v charger with me to charge at work and today with temps in the 60s it said I had a range of 23 miles when I was ready to head for home.  I too made it all the way home on EV and EV+ which was a total of 26.4 miles.  I figured that would never happen, but it made my day :)

post-1445-0-00495900-1426122547_thumb.png

That seems good Murphy, and it seems as though you're still having colder weather in PA than I have in CA.

The odd thing for me has been the last 3 trips and charges.  I haven't changed my driving and it is actually warming up nicely here.  Days are in the 70's, nights are in the 40's.

3 trips ago, I drove on the interstate and used EV Later until the return trip.  Then I used EV Auto and let the car do its thing and I was in Hybrid mode for a good portion of that drive.  It took the normal 2 hours to charge, I received the text message that charging was complete, but MFM only showed 17 miles in the battery.  I had been getting 25-28 miles for several months even when the temperature was in the 30's.  The charge ring only showed 3 quadrants lit.  At first I thought I might have another quadrant light out.  But when I touched the door handle, the ring lit up fully.  I unplugged then plugged back in thinking the car might take more charge.  It did not.

The next day I drove 9 miles just so I could charge again.  This time when the charging was complete I had 20 miles and the charge port ring was fully lit.  Now I have 21 miles showing.

I can't recall the last time I had less than 22 miles showing after a full charge.  I haven't changed my driving style or the length of my drives.  Seems the 17 miles, 3/4 charge was on anomaly but I have no idea what caused it.

I've been able to drive 13-14 miles these past few days and barely use more than half of the EV range. The car currently predicts 10 miles of EV range remaining with a 40% charge according to MFM. Full charge range estimates have been in the mid to high 20s.

The numbers on the first leg were 136 MPGe, 94% brake score, and 79 driving score.

The numbers on the second leg were 132 MPGe, 91% brake score, and 78 driving score.

This was all local driving mostly at 35 mph with some 45 mph, 6 stop signs, and 31 traffic lights.

Why do you have such low driving scores? At those speeds the cruising bar should be at 100 and that should help offset the low brake scores which would lower the overall driving score. Where is your acceleration coach?

Why do you have such low driving scores? At those speeds the cruising bar should be at 100 and that should help offset the low brake scores which would lower the overall driving score. Where is your acceleration coach?

The acceleration bar is at 75, the brake bar is at 48, and the cruise bar is at 100.  There was a red bar panic stop during the second leg.

The speed limit is 35 but it was mostly stop and go traffic as I worked my way up to each traffic light.

Openair hit the nail on the head for the cause. Does that apply to this trip?

Yes it does.  I turned it back on to look at the coach bars which are not normally on my display. 

Very poor programming to wipe out valid data before it has been sent to the mothership.  Apparently the programmer never heard of queued buffering.  The transmit buffer should not be released until receipt of the data has been acknowledged by the receiver.

Since we are now on an orphan platform it is unlikely this or any of the other problems will ever be fixed.