Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford OEM L1 Charging Cable

iamjustinpowell

It cost 2,000 to replace a service panel?  Or did the guy do a load of extra stuff like replacing wiring too?

When I moved in to my house, about after a month or two of being here, I noticed my electric panel was dripping water when it rained.  I thought it was leaking from behind it, so I dug the dirt away from my foundation, tarred a massive patch of the wall up to the surface, and covered it back up.

Next time it rained, my panel continued to drip water.

On a nice day, I went outside and hosed off the side of the house with the intention of finding that dang leak, went back downstairs, and my panel was dripping.  I checked my service cable from the meter to the inside of the house and noticed the sheathe had cracked and was, in essence, being a pipeline for water to go straight in to my box.

Inspectors did not catch this, both city and private.

So I went out and bought a new Siemens panel and a new service cable, and replaced all of it myself.  Cost about 300 bucks.  And yes, I pulled permit to do that (I was also wiring my garage at the time). Noticed that I had 2, 14awg wires in there connected to a 20A breaker too in the old panel.  Reduced those to 15.  Reduced even most of the 12AWG wires to 15A except for the kitchen.  I installed a whole house surge protector as well (Siemens has a specialty breaker that can do this... was 90 bucks by itself, bought later on).

The old box was so corroded, I don't know why or how a fire never started in it.  It obviously was doing that for a very long time.

It cost 2,000 to replace a service panel?  Or did the guy do a load of extra stuff like replacing wiring too?

Depending on the size of the house (corresponds to # of circuits), $2K is not unreasonable.  Actually it's could be pretty good for a larger home.  Of course this also depends on the area.  In an area where a licensed electrician has to do the work you'll probably pay more just because you have less choice.