Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Shout-Out to Advance Auto Parts - Great Customer Service

Neil

Prior to getting the annual safety inspection on my '13 Energi,  I decided to replace the Windshield wipers since they were starting to get all smeary.  I went to an Advance Auto near my house and bought the really good ones - Trico Onyx Beam, $27/ea (never skimp on windshield wipers - there is a big difference).  For whatever reason, I seem to have a mental block on installing Windshield wipers, so I asked them to install them too (Free!).  So last Friday was the first time I used them, and they are working great and then all of a sudden the driver-side blade goes shooting off over the car.  I was moving about 55 MPH, so there was no stopping to go back and get it.  

Today, I went to a different Advance Auto near where i work, picked out another one and go to check out and the clerk asks why I was just buying one blade.  I told him the story as he is ringing me up, and then he goes into the back and talks to the manager and come out and says it free, and then he goes out and installs it for me.  I totally did not expect that.  

I figured that since I was buying a DIY part, I take the risk of a faulty installation.  Also, since I was not paying them to install them, and they were kind of doing me a favor, it was not ethical to expect them to pay for it.  Having them give me the replacement blade for free really made my day.  They've earned my business. 

I was really impressed with the OEM wipers on this car. They lasted almost 2 years before they started streaking and making noise. I was on a trip when the noise was driving me nuts and just had to replace them (at the closest store) so I put some NAPA blades on there. When those go, I will consider putting the OEM parts back on as they seem to last longer than the Bosch ICON wiper blades I normally buy (they did not have them at NAPA). 

The OEM blades were good, but I definitely like the aftermarket Trico Onyx blades better.  We'll see how long they last.  The OEMs lasted 2 years, and had just stated to get smeary.  The dealer near where I live (and most likely all Ford Dealers) is having a sale on the OEM blades for $20 a pair, which is AMAZING.  I debated just getting the OEMs again, but decided to try something else.  

One of my OEM blades, the driver side, screeches and sticks after almost 7 months.  Both leave streaks.  Guess they're hit and miss or don't stand up to the cold of Canada very well.  Have been meaning to replace them myself since two dealerships have not even offered to sell me new ones after I complained about it a few times.

Edited by openair